Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

There's a reason there's no mention of him though.

I don't think we have the same rules as Serie A with regards to cardiac arrests and he seems to be actively targeting a move back to the PL, which backs that up.

He is convinced he's fit and fine and wants to get back into the Denmark squad for the world cup. The only risk from our side is whether insurance would cover him.

2 minutes ago, steve_69 said:

I don't think we have the same rules as Serie A with regards to cardiac arrests and he seems to be actively targeting a move back to the PL, which backs that up.

He is convinced he's fit and fine and wants to get back into the Denmark squad for the world cup. The only risk from our side is whether insurance would cover him.

Imagine if it happens again and the unthinkable happens this time. Seriously can't see any reputable club taking him on tbh. As sad as it is for him.

Just now, jack j said:

Imagine if it happens again and the unthinkable happens this time. Seriously can't see any reputable club taking him on tbh. As sad as it is for him.

It's all on him though, surely?!. At the risk of sounding cut-throat, he's going to be playing for someone so why not us. And if it happens again, it's because he decided to go back to playing, not because we convinced him to carry on playing. 

6 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Not sure who else on loan we'll get from the PL? Jones would be good if someone like Botman is out of reach until the summer.

Digne and PEA are currently options being discussed, and Lingaard is still a possibility, I suppose.

Prising quality players away from other clubs in the bottom half would be a good tactic - as I'm sure others have mentioned in the past - but seems like that's going to be difficult, even though clubs might actually be a bit more desperate for some cash than usual.

25 minutes ago, Nexumaster said:

Prising quality players away from other clubs in the bottom half would be a good tactic - as I'm sure others have mentioned in the past - but seems like that's going to be difficult, even though clubs might actually be a bit more desperate for some cash than usual.

Problem with that is that there aren't that many of them....which is why the clubs tend to be in the bottom half to start with

Edited by gjohnson
spelling

5 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Problem with that is that there aren't that many of them....which is why the clubs tend to be in the bottom half to start with

Aye, their best players are well-known and they obviously wouldn't want to lose them (thinking JWP, Phillips, Tarkowski)

Since we're on a roll signing older players from Atletico - 34-year-old Luis Suarez, anyone? Contract is up in six months too. "Big Name", experienced in the Premier League - ticks all the PIF/Eddie Howe boxes.

5 hours ago, Emotic said:

Yeah it's weird. If I had literally died at my work just six months ago, I'd throw in the towel and enjoy a nice relaxing early retirement. And I'm a skint accountant[emoji38]

You would think that, but if you are a superstar footballer who would normally still be in his peak years, it must be hard to give that up and fade into the background. He's not some 3rd division plodder who never made it, he was a big player for Spurs and his national team. 

1 hour ago, Emotic said:

Since we're on a roll signing older players from Atletico - 34-year-old Luis Suarez, anyone? Contract is up in six months too. "Big Name", experienced in the Premier League - ticks all the PIF/Eddie Howe boxes.

Going to America I think?

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but does this not all feel incredibly alien? Like every day I see us linked with about 4 new players, most of which I've never heard of, and despite being 2nd bottom, with the lowest points total at this stage for us in our history, we've filled a 52k stadium for an FA Cup 3rd round vs a League One side and genuinely don't believe we're going down whatsoever.

It's just so strange. :lol: I'm just praying I don't get some bad reality check... 

3 hours ago, Heron said:

Wasn't really sure where to put this, but does this not all feel incredibly alien? Like every day I see us linked with about 4 new players, most of which I've never heard of, and despite being 2nd bottom, with the lowest points total at this stage for us in our history, we've filled a 52k stadium for an FA Cup 3rd round vs a League One side and genuinely don't believe we're going down whatsoever.

It's just so strange. :lol: I'm just praying I don't get some bad reality check... 

It's exhausting. Feels like it should be nearly over, and we're only 6 days in. 

I wonder if we would have any chance with the signing of Patrik Schick. Admittedly I have only watched him for 5-6 games at Euro 2020, but he was one of the outstanding players at the tournament. If we're to be forced into throwing big money to lure a top striker, it would be him for me. Tall, quick, versatile, presses well, good with his back to goal as well as running in behind. Seemed a complete striker to me and is still just 25 years old.

Just now, Infinitely Content said:

I wonder if we would have any chance with the signing of Patrik Schick. Admittedly I have only watched him for 5-6 games at Euro 2020, but he was one of the outstanding players at the tournament. If we're to be forced into throwing big money to lure a top striker, it would be him for me. Tall, quick, versatile, presses well, good with his back to goal as well as running in behind. Seemed a complete striker to me and is still just 25 years old.

Linked with Dortmund to replace Haaland.

2 minutes ago, Infinitely Content said:

We were after him a year or two ago, so I’d be surprised if he wasn’t on some of our lists or other.

If both Lingard and Martial want away, we should be in the running. Either of them would keep us up easily and probably won't cost the 70 mil Euros being bandied about for the likes of Vlahovic. If one of them comes, it should also give a reasonable buffer to slowly ease in a (cheaper) foreign-league star like Azmoun, or Barbosa.

Think if we get our ducks lined up with transfers, get wins against Watford and Leeds, we should pull together the £67m release clause for Haaland on 23rd January.

that doesn’t mean he’s going to want to sign for us, but it could launch a significant transfer merry-go-round with secondary names becoming available to us.