Kieran Trippier: sidelined until late April (Hope)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, pedro111 said:

Is it known why he wants to come here specifically? Sorry if I've missed it.

Longer contract with higher wages than any alternatives that approached his agent. 

Edited by Pixelphish

12 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Ah, right. I see what you're saying now :lol: I read it as you were saying you hoped he wasn't saying good bye and that you hoped he was joining another team. My bad :lol: 

You're on fire this weekend :lol:

6 minutes ago, LFEE said:

So if that’s the case who’s the other two on the pitch we are signing? 🙂

Looks to me he’s saying goodbye to the fans and the other two come across to show their appreciation 

Edited by et tu brute

7 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Still seems surreal we’ve gone from picking players out of the bins (quite literally if they wanted an ice bath), to potentially signing a player described as this by one of the best managers in the world.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

2 minutes ago, carpetman1 said:

Cash. As they all do. These people that say we don't want mercenaries.. that's all footballers are. None of them join a club just to help out. If that was the case they'd all be joining Dunston.  

If it were just about cash and he were a mercenary he wouldn't have been playing tonight.

3 minutes ago, carpetman1 said:

Cash. As they all do. These people that say we don't want mercenaries.. that's all footballers are. None of them join a club just to help out. If that was the case they'd all be joining Dunston.  

Countless examples this isn't true like.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

5 minutes ago, carpetman1 said:

A professional footballer seeking to maximise their earnings from a comparatively short career to assure their own and their family's financial security is sensible 

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Is everyone forgetting we could be / have the potential and money to be one of the biggest clubs in Europe / World , 

Cant be too much of a hard sell , also a fantastic fan base 

Yes they are forgetting. Or maybe they're just too young to imagine a club like we had in the 90's. 

A club obviously has to be able to pay a footballer competitive wages but there's plenty reasons why they would join a specific club.

I would assume in Trippier's case it's mostly for money and security like given his age but I'm pretty sure he could have fucked off to China/Middle East a long time ago of money was the only factor.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He’s under contract with Atleti and got picked for the team. I don’t think it’s “being a mercenary” but most footballers are out to maximize wages, nothing wrong with that. 

Yes, he'll obviously be looking to get paid as much as he can, but a lot of players would refuse to play in that situation.

2 minutes ago, carpetman1 said:

Absolutely. I've had 55 years of general bollocks supporting us, I too want to able to say that we won something other than the Intertoto. 

This 100%

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-united-transfer-news-kieran-trippier-latest-deal-watford-premier-league-1379542

Newcastle United hope to conclude a deal for England and Atletico Madrid defender Kieran Trippier in time to integrate him into the squad before they play Watford in mid-January.

The deal is not finalised yet and Newcastle will need to improve on their initial offer to bring the player to St James’ Park – but i understands there is optimism that months of preparatory work will bear fruit for the new owners. If they can come to an agreement on a fee a deal could be signed off as early as the end of this week.

Trippier has been sounded out about a move and reacted positively to the prospect of joining a team in the thick of a relegation fight but negotiations around potential release clauses still need to be ironed out.

Newcastle United’s owners wanted to be quick out of blocks in January and tabled an offer within hours of the transfer window opening for Trippier, one of their top targets.

i understands they are also working on a second deal which they hope can be concluded swiftly too. The club want as many as six arrivals this month, and the loan market will be utilised.