Kieran Trippier: sidelined until 30th March with calf injury (Hope)

Yorkie

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, toon25 said:

Would like to see that too, but stripping Lascelles wouldn't be wor Eddie's style.

Whats the point of having a club captain who isn't gonna play 10% of games

7 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Would like to see that too, but stripping Lascelles wouldn't be wor Eddie's style.

5 minutes ago, jack j said:

You do what other clubs have done, Lascelles is the club captain, but appoint trippier as the team captain. The mancs did it with Gary Neville and I’m sure Liverpool do the same with horrenderson

Edited by nufcnick

20 minutes ago, jack j said:

I agree, Keegan did it with Kilcline but I can image Kilcline was much more of a 'locker room leader' and had experience to pass on compared to Lascelles.

17 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

You do what other clubs have done, Lascelles is the club captain, but appoint trippier as the team captain. The mancs did it with Gary Neville and I’m sure Liverpool do the same with horrenderson

Neville and Henderson played/play far more than lascelles will (hopefully anyway!)

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

I agree, Keegan did it with Kilcline but I can image Kilcline was much more of a 'locker room leader' and had experience to pass on compared to Lascelles.

Killer was also at the end of his career.  Kind of had a ‘get-out’/acceptable reason for not playing. Not the same or as easy to swallow for Jamaal. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I keep getting a hit as I remember we get to see Trippier, Botman, Bruno, Joe and a fully fit Wilson shortly. Get in. Some fucking talent in the squad now, like. 

I’ve never missed the football season so much in my life. 

With everything else that happened in the season and everything that's going on off the pitch, it's easy to forget how fucking brilliant this bloke was in those four games he played. Everton was sensational, about as close as you can get to a 10/10 performance. The free-kick was a real pinch yourself moment; that this symbol of excellence and professionalism - an England international - was burying a tremendous free-kick in a big home game on the way to a brilliant win. Not because we shouldn't have those things, just cos we were so far away from having it only weeks beforehand. He was as much a symbol of the new era as Howe, arguably an even bigger one. 

Hope the injury did nowt and he comes back full pelt. Looked rusty against City and Burnley but somewhat understandable after the lay off.

17 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

Yes, Kilkline was club captain in our promotion season, but Vennison was captain on the pitch. Venners mentioned this in the end of season interviews, paying tribute to Kilkline, and saying what an honour it was to captain the side on the pitch.  Vennison was brilliant, a true leader and massive influence like maybe Trippier, and solid as rock defender, who had aa great short passing game, proved when he moved to midfield the second season back and got an England call up.

Think he's arguably the most under-rated player we've had I can think of, given he was very good at right-back 92/93, superb at centre-back 93/94 and excellent (international call ups, our player of the year) in centre midfield in 94/95.

16 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Think he's arguably the most under-rated player we've had I can think of, given he was very good at right-back 92/93, superb at centre-back 93/94 and excellent (international call ups, our player of the year) in centre midfield in 94/95.

Massively missed his organisational skill and leadership after he fell out with Keegan too, I often wonder what might’ve happened in 95/96 if he was still around tbh

Haven't we done the barely-played club captain before ourselves in relatively more recent times? Something nagging at me that Butt was club captain in one of his last years where he hardly figured. 

Lascelles was never the worlds best defender but he is a leader, or was.. still could be.

It’s no coincidence that his best form came under Benitez who probably identified his weaknesses and coached him in such a way that he didn’t have to do all that much thinking about what to do.

He lost all of that under Bruce, but also that leadership quality. Too comfortable, no competition for a place and looked shell shocked as others came in to take his role.

Not sure if Howe is the type to give him that one to one attention that he needs?

4 hours ago, toon25 said:

Howe wouldn't be stripping Lascelles of the captaincy as he never gave him it in the first place. I think he's allowed to pick his own man, he's not beholden to the decisions others have made.

21 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Howe wouldn't be stripping Lascelles of the captaincy as he never gave him it in the first place. I think he's allowed to pick his own man, he's not beholden to the decisions others have made.

Maybe, but taking the captaincy off him is still stripping him if it, which isn't something I could see him doing.

12 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Maybe, but taking the captaincy off him is still stripping him if it, which isn't something I could see him doing.

Depends on how diplomatic Howe can be. 

One hypothetical is "You aren't likely to be first choice, I'm going to name Kieran Captain and you Vice Captain."

The fact is Trippier will already be seen as one of the leaders in the dressing room anyway, so it doesn’t need to be official for that purpose. 

also, Lascelles will barely play so Trippier will probably be captain most weeks anyway, so it seems a bit unnecessary to potentially cause an upset by making it ‘official’ 

Exactly. It'll be a token gesture because if Lascelles stays Trippier will be playing more so whatever, plus who actually knows what goes on behind the scenes. Lascelles as 4th choice would be great, by the way.

Edited by nemtizz

Lascelles will remain as captain until  sold. Tripp or other leaders won’t need the band to show their leadership qualities. But you can see Tripp getting the band if he is playing and Lascelles is on the bench and it won’t be an issues for anyone except fans. 

I’d have a lot of respect and admiration for Lascelles if, assuming he believes he isn’t going to feature much, he voluntarily offers the armband to be re-allocated. Seems like the right thing to do. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny