Kieran Trippier: sidelined until late April (Hope)

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

My impression was he was heavily involved but was highly wasteful with that. I love him but definitely thought he had a disappointing game. 

This is what the stats say to me when you mix them with the “eye test” as well. 

32 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Nearly everything in the highlights is Trippier created chances.

Cabaye dined out on a lot less.

Just come here to say this. 

the sky sports highlights shows 8 chances for us, 6 of which are from Trippier free kicks/corners. 

so whilst it is true that some of his deliveries were poor, he’s the last person we should be digging out. Could easily have had a hat trick of assists.

Must admit with the height we have for set pieces and the quality of delivery Trippier (usually) has, it is a bit of a puzzler how we don't have that many headed goals, especially from the defenders. We usually tower over other teams at set pieces in terms of overall height. 

2 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Must admit with the height we have for set pieces and the quality of delivery Trippier (usually) has, it is a bit of a puzzler how we don't have that many headed goals, especially from the defenders. We usually tower over other teams at set pieces in terms of overall height. 

Easy equation that doesn’t prove out when the ball is on the pitch. Height isn’t the only qualifier. 

10 hours ago, Minhosa said:

Seems a few folks in this Twitter thread have him failing the eye test as well. Maybe they’re just clueless too…..

Not sure using Twitter to back up your point is the greatest move, mind. Had a look, some truly abysmal comments there from some utter morons.

I recall the first groan-inducing delivery of his coming about midway through the second half, and even then it wasn’t like he put it straight out of play or hit the first man. He hit a canny ball that Meslier came and gobbled up. It then happened a time or two again, if I’m remembering rightly and my eyes were working.

We were noticeably less inventive with the corners, too, probably owing to the fact that Leeds are typically so poor at defending them. So he was whipping more in than he typically would. Would’ve been good to see more variation.

Given he still created so much and was very sound defensively in the main, up against their most dangerous individual, I think it’s mad to be singling him out for criticism.

In a game where he had over 100 touches and took around 20 set pieces he was probably guilty of falling below the incredibly high standards he’s set for himself in terms of consistency. I doubt he’s chuffed with his performance, given the character he is, but to say he had a “shitter” or to chuck woeful Evri crack at him is a bit much.

Yesterday highlighted why Targett was useful last year on set pieces. He has a great left foot and it's good to keep the opponents guessing and having a bit of variation. (I know he is injured currently). Would have liked to see someone blocking off the keeper as he easily collected many balls from corners. 

Edited by CPL

Bit of an overreaction here.  Think criticism of some of his game yesterday is valid.  That's the crux of it.  You don't need to have some rawkish narrative control.

Like, I get that he is a really good player and by default did a lot of good work yesterday.  But he also served up some notable shit.  I do like the weather excuse.  Think that's valid.  Their tiny winger being given yellow card immunity also didn't help.

Edited by David Edgar

Of course some criticism is valid and I’ve said myself that he did fall below his incredibly high standards in the second half.

The nonsense quoted above, though? Totally OTT and just plain wrong.

“Rawkish narrative control”, btw :lol:. I’m trying to use stats, video, and my own “eye test” to debate the fact that he wasn’t as bad as has been said. What should I be doing if I disagree with someone in future?

That was a bit of a shitty insult.  Think, not you necessarily, there can be a general trend where people put players in categories of good or shit and then use that to heavily weight what they think can or can't be said about a player.  So I think it is fair for people to say Trippier was shit - cos they're basing it on a certain series of things he did badly in the game- but also for some to say, "hang on, he also did some solid stuff."  It's actually been a solid, non-rawk, discussion overall and we've sort of landed in the same region.

12 hours ago, NWMag said:

Just come here to say this. 

the sky sports highlights shows 8 chances for us, 6 of which are from Trippier free kicks/corners. 

so whilst it is true that some of his deliveries were poor, he’s the last person we should be digging out. Could easily have had a hat trick of assists.

Jesse marsch did say after the game that he spent a lot of time preparing for his corners and set pieces. Seems to me with doubling up on miggy and working on neutralising set pieces he’s watched the Leicester highlights and set preparation up accordingly 😀

for me watching the highlights - the problem wasn’t the delivery but the finishing. Wood, long staff and schar were given more than good enough chances by tripps but it just didn’t happen.

15 hours ago, OverThere said:

So is he or isn't he suspended? I hope not since we don't seem to have a back up rb at present.

Think the confusion is that he's been booked five times, but one was in the league cup, so doesn't count for a premier league suspension? The Mag still has the article up saying he's out.

People seem to be saying Trippier had a bad game because all his crossing wasnt pin point leading to chances or goals. A few of his crosses didnt reach a target. Our tactic was clearly to try and put them under pressure by testing their shaky defence and keeper so just by sheer numbers there's an increased chance of that happening. He wasnt 9/10 out of 10 yesterday and he didnt get an assist and the keeper took some of his crosses. :lol: If that's shit then you're weird (whoever thinks he was shit).

9 hours ago, Rich said:

Not sure using Twitter to back up your point is the greatest move, mind. Had a look, some truly abysmal comments there from some utter morons.

I recall the first groan-inducing delivery of his coming about midway through the second half, and even then it wasn’t like he put it straight out of play or hit the first man. He hit a canny ball that Meslier came and gobbled up. It then happened a time or two again, if I’m remembering rightly and my eyes were working.

We were noticeably less inventive with the corners, too, probably owing to the fact that Leeds are typically so poor at defending them. So he was whipping more in than he typically would. Would’ve been good to see more variation.

Given he still created so much and was very sound defensively in the main, up against their most dangerous individual, I think it’s mad to be singling him out for criticism.

In a game where he had over 100 touches and took around 20 set pieces he was probably guilty of falling below the incredibly high standards he’s set for himself in terms of consistency. I doubt he’s chuffed with his performance, given the character he is, but to say he had a “shitter” or to chuck woeful Evri crack at him is a bit much.

[emoji38]

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Of course some criticism is valid and I’ve said myself that he did fall below his incredibly high standards in the second half.

The nonsense quoted above, though? Totally OTT and just plain wrong.

“Rawkish narrative control”, btw :lol:. I’m trying to use stats, video, and my own “eye test” to debate the fact that he wasn’t as bad as has been said. What should I be doing if I disagree with someone in future?

[emoji38]

Seems he's apparently immune to criticism on here so you'd have to wonder why he was apologising towards the Milburn Stand during the second half after another yet poor delivery? Maybe he was saying 'sorry you're all failing the eye test lads'? [emoji38].

A player at his level (he's been superb) should have been a bit more creative yesterday when it was clear his approach of whipping it in the box wasn't working. There were other options which he chose not to use. As someone else mentioned, shame Targett wasn't an alternative option from the other side but hey ho.

As I said in my first post after the game, a rare off day. We move on. What's a forum anyway, if not a place to exchange views?

7 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

According to WhoScored he over took De Bruyne yesterday and is now the second highest rated player in the league behind Haaland. :lol:

He gets 'Player of the match' every single week on FPL [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38], even yesterday.

Just shows what context can do. He could have easily had 3 or 4 assists yesterday and was involved in most of our big chances, but because we didn't score from any of them, because his bar is so high, and because we had what felt like 50 free kicks and corners with some poor balls in the mix, for some that means it was a bad performance. Not below high standards, not unlucky that none of his great crosses weren't converted, just a bad performance.

Just now, Minhosa said:

'A rare bad performance' doesn't say the same thing?

Do you think he'll have been happy with his performance?

If he could have easily had 3/4 assists why didn't he? Everyone elses fault?

I don't think it was a bad performance, I just think we had so many free kicks and corners that because some of the balls were inevitably poor, the feeling is that he could have done better and that's coloured the view of his overall performance.

If Schär, Wood, Burn, or Longstaff score any of the chances Trippier played into them, he's getting 10 ratings. I think us not scoring was a mixture of poor finishing, good goalkeeping and it being 'one of those days', I don't think he'll be happy with his performance because his standards are so high.

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't think it was a bad performance, I just think we had so many free kicks and corners that because some of the balls were inevitably poor, the feeling is that he could have done better and that's coloured the view of his overall performance.

If Schär, Wood, Burn, or Longstaff score any of the chances Trippier played into them, he's getting 10 ratings. I think us not scoring was a mixture of poor finishing, good goalkeeping and it being 'one of those days', I don't think he'll be happy with his performance because his standards are so high.

He's literally tried the same corner every time. A player of his experience has got to take some responsibility for that not working and come up with an alternative imho.

As I've said many a time, it's a rare off day as he's been great, but he can't be immune to valid criticism regardless of the admin/rawkishness view or policy.

He ain't getting a ten regardless btw because that young winger gave him a bunch of issues in the first half resulting in his cheap booking.