Sven Botman set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

Of course. But if we start with the same first XI but improve our back-up with big potential, that will represent improvement.Spend £60 million on one superstar who might flop, or 3 £20milion prospects? I know which I'd prefer, for now.

Ideally we'll get both. 

I agree, in that scenario getting 3 prospects is better but that poster was suggesting he wouldn't be too fussed if we went with the squad as it is, which suggests no further signings, that's ludicrous 

Just now, Happinesstan said:

Neither do I, but I think he's got another 3 years [at least] on the pitch and he'll be here long after his playing career is over.

I'm sure, but what I'm suggesting is that he will want to see us move on significantly from last season in the coming one, and for that we will need some significant improvement in the squad this summer. We probably won't repeat last season's 2nd half form with the current bunch.

2 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Trippier. 

He’s not wrong to be fair. I’ve seen fans getting very carried away as I said this morning gonna be a slow build. I just want to enjoy watch a team being built 

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

I agree, in that scenario getting 3 prospects is better but that poster was suggesting he wouldn't be too fussed if we went with the squad as it is, which suggests no further signings, that's ludicrous 

Yeah, I  know, but I don't think he really meant it like that.

1 minute ago, gdm said:

He’s not wrong to be fair. I’ve seen fans getting very carried away as I said this morning gonna be a slow build. I just want to enjoy watch a team being built 

Yeah, me too. I'll be delighted, and I'm sure Trippier and Bruno will be also, if we manage to avoid the bottom half all season and finish somewhere between 10th and 6th.

Didn't someone accidentally tell a reporter that inside the camp the goal is to qualify for Europe this season? Or have I just made that up.

We should try to take as big a stride forward as we possibly can. That's what ambitious clubs do.

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

Didn't someone accidentally tell a reporter that inside the camp the goal is to qualify for Europe this season? Or have I just made that up.

We should try to take as big a stride forward as we possibly can. That's what ambitious clubs do.

I've no reason to doubt that is what they hope for, but I also recognise a maturity wherein if they fall short they won't be hoying their toys out the pram.

From his wiki page:

"Sven Botman (born 12 January 2000) is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defender for France team Lille OSC He has represented the Netherlands at youth levels under-15 through under-21.He thinks that if he waits long enough, Newcastle will offer more money.his mate Hugo Ekitike is also taking his time for absolutely no good reason. Join or F off. Choice is yours."

Good to see the internet hard men in the fan base are getting stuck into him already. If either of these lads sign and don't hit the ground running there will be more where that came from.

48 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I’d rather wait and get the right signings and I’ll never be one of these supporters that’s shouting “biggest club in the world” phrases or anything like that.

We’ve got ahelluva manager in howe at the moment who will drive us forward so I trust him. If we end up starting next season with same squad - I personally won’t be worried.

1 hour ago, Decky said:

We need to offer this guy a take it or leave it deadline so we can move on. Sick of this dragging on now. Clubs are making signings left right and centre and we’re messing about waiting for this lad and this Hugo kid to make their minds up. 

You don’t know if any of that is true. I’d stop reading twitter updates if I were you, it’ll send you loopy. 

17 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

From his wiki page:

"Sven Botman (born 12 January 2000) is a Dutch professional footballer who plays as a defender for France team Lille OSC He has represented the Netherlands at youth levels under-15 through under-21.He thinks that if he waits long enough, Newcastle will offer more money.his mate Hugo Ekitike is also taking his time for absolutely no good reason. Join or F off. Choice is yours."

Good to see the internet hard men in the fan base are getting stuck into him already. If either of these lads sign and don't hit the ground running there will be more where that came from.

Hell’s teeth, that’s embarrassing. 

40 minutes ago, Sean said:

Joelinton and Howe said when asked about it ‘we’d rather keep those sort of targets within the group’ or words to that effect.

40 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I’d rather wait and get the right signings and I’ll never be one of these supporters that’s shouting “biggest club in the world” phrases or anything like that.

We’ve got ahelluva manager in howe at the moment who will drive us forward so I trust him. If we end up starting next season with same squad - I personally won’t be worried.

I'm happy to wait, absolutely, I was patient in January and I'll be patient again as I trust the ownership and the manager

I do think no further signings would be worrying, though I'd still like to look at the bigger picture and see it as better than Ashley but no signings would mean something seriously has gone wrong somewhere. Though I'm absolutely certain that won't be the case and we will make signings. 

45 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I think Howe himself would be worried if we started next season with the same squad.

3 hours ago, TRon said:

I think Howe himself would be worried if we started next season with the same squad.

True.

It’s only 17th June. If Botman doesn’t sign I am sure we will move onto our second choice. For once, I trust the manager and club to be competent 👍

17 minutes ago, Gavin400 said:

True.

It’s only 17th June. If Botman doesn’t sign I am sure we will move onto our second choice. For once, I trust the manager and club to be competent 👍

Well that depends if the second choice signs for someone else while we are hanging about waiting for the go ahead from Botman. But the club will obviously try to get their first choice as long as we believe it's doable. I still think we'll sign Botman FWIW, I think if Milan were realistic buyers he'd have told us no thanks by now. Seems like the only way he goes there is if his club accept a worse deal.

It's funny how similar our fanbases are reacting to the Botman transfer, although there is much more certainty among Milan fans that Botman wants to come to Milan.

There is a panic starting among Milan fans as Maldini's contract ends June 30th, and he gave this big interview where he said that it was disrespectful that he wasn't in talks over a renewal (this was during Milan being sold, and the takeover negotiations) and how Milan were at a cross-roads, where either they push to be truly elite by bringing in 2-3 players or they stay as they are and hover as a domestic force and that's it.

The new owner, the day he acquired Milan, talked about how Maldini is central to his plans, he had a meeting, picture with him and Maldini smiling was sent out, but no contract extension. So now Milan fans are getting nervous and some are truly anxious, because none of our transfer targets, even our free ones (Origi) have been made official yet.

Maldini signing up for the new ownership would be an endorsement of the new owner's vision, which is a domineering Milan. I personally think Maldini is at work and chances are he's signed a new contract, but the fact that deals haven't been closed, and journalists (not the reputable ones) have thrown out wild theories, it is causing tremendous doubt among fans.

Many Milan fans are of the opinion that we don't have as much money as we thought we did, and that the reason the deals aren't closing is because we are destitute. This narrative goes against all facts and financial realities of our hedge fund owners, but it seems like the scars of Ashley have impacted Newcastle fans, the scars of our previous years of folly have left traumatized people unable to grasp that things are getting better lol. So we are very similar.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but it's funny how Newcastle, who most certainly have money, aren't closing deals yourselves, to me, it just shows that there are lots of things going on, and I bet that 99/100 the things that are reported are not the issues. It's probably far more mundane and less sexy issues like negotiating strategy, taxes, accountants, lawyers, and other mundane office stuff that holds things up--anyway, just thought I'd update you on Milan's side of the Botman saga.

I mean, outside of Darwin and Haaland, it's still early, and too early to freak out over deals. I guess I'm just reassured that you guys are as antsy as we are. Hope you all are well!

15 minutes ago, Milanista said:

It's funny how similar our fanbases are reacting to the Botman transfer, although there is much more certainty among Milan fans that Botman wants to come to Milan.

There is a panic starting among Milan fans as Maldini's contract ends June 30th, and he gave this big interview where he said that it was disrespectful that he wasn't in talks over a renewal (this was during Milan being sold, and the takeover negotiations) and how Milan were at a cross-roads, where either they push to be truly elite by bringing in 2-3 players or they stay as they are and hover as a domestic force and that's it.

The new owner, the day he acquired Milan, talked about how Maldini is central to his plans, he had a meeting, picture with him and Maldini smiling was sent out, but no contract extension. So now Milan fans are getting nervous and some are truly anxious, because none of our transfer targets, even our free ones (Origi) have been made official yet.

Maldini signing up for the new ownership would be an endorsement of the new owner's vision, which is a domineering Milan. I personally think Maldini is at work and chances are he's signed a new contract, but the fact that deals haven't been closed, and journalists (not the reputable ones) have thrown out wild theories, it is causing tremendous doubt among fans.

Many Milan fans are of the opinion that we don't have as much money as we thought we did, and that the reason the deals aren't closing is because we are destitute. This narrative goes against all facts and financial realities of our hedge fund owners, but it seems like the scars of Ashley have impacted Newcastle fans, the scars of our previous years of folly have left traumatized people unable to grasp that things are getting better lol. So we are very similar.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but it's funny how Newcastle, who most certainly have money, aren't closing deals yourselves, to me, it just shows that there are lots of things going on, and I bet that 99/100 the things that are reported are not the issues. It's probably far more mundane and less sexy issues like negotiating strategy, taxes, accountants, lawyers, and other mundane office stuff that holds things up--anyway, just thought I'd update you on Milan's side of the Botman saga.

I mean, outside of Darwin and Haaland, it's still early, and too early to freak out over deals. I guess I'm just reassured that you guys are as antsy as we are. Hope you all are well!

With us I think the way that we are looking to structure deals is what’s delaying things. We have the money to spend, but don’t want to spunk a huge amount in one window so are looking to structure deals over a number of years to comply with FFP. Clubs aren’t going to want to sell their best players if they’re getting £10m now and therefore unable to use any fee received on their side immediately. 

I am confident we will get some top players in. Ashworth is clearly no mug and you’ve got think, a lot of players, agent and coaches etc will be on holiday at the minute.

Also we have to convince players to come here, it won’t be an instant yes like Madrid or Milan. Many of them will need to choose us ahead of a (currently) more traditionally attractive options.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

With us I think the way that we are looking to structure deals is what’s delaying things. We have the money to spend, but don’t want to spunk a huge amount in one window so are looking to structure deals over a number of years to comply with FFP. Clubs aren’t going to want to sell their best players if they’re getting £10m now and therefore unable to use any fee received on their side immediately. 

I am confident we will get some top players in. Ashworth is clearly no mug and you’ve got think, a lot of players, agent and coaches etc will be on holiday at the minute.

I thought how you pay is irrelevant to FFP? So spreading payments over 5 years or one lump sum is considered one and the same when calculating profit/loss?

3 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I thought how you pay is irrelevant to FFP? So spreading payments over 5 years or one lump sum is considered one and the same when calculating profit/loss?

Amortisation. 25m lump sum paid in one calendar year is different from 5m per year for 5 years. FFP "by right" takes into consideration P&L over a 36-month period so we can spread it out. We all know how it works though.

4 hours ago, Teasy said:

Yeah whether you pay all up front or in instalments over time makes no difference to FFP.

Completely wrong. Any instalments not paid this year will only count towards FFP in the season they are ultimately paid, so it obviously makes sense to push back as much of the transfer fee as possible so that we only have to worry about that in future windows.