Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

Came across really well in his interview on NufcTV. Speaks well, looks happy and relaxed and appeared humble and excited to progress with us. If he settles quickly and bring his physical and technical qualities to the team, he's going to be loved here. I get the feeling his signing for Milan would have been met by their fanbase with mostly indifference whereas here, I think and hope he'll end up revered, or at the least a cult hero

Edited by LionOfGosforth

He seems like a right fucking hard nut. He's only 22 but has the jaw of a superman cartoon.

I liked his Van Dijk answer. "I'm not that good yet", was the perfect response. 

3 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Actually he didn't say website or socials. It was officially announced on the 30th July before his first game at Lincoln a week later. So he was officially announced before his first game 

It was a joke mate, the internet didn’t even exist 

Great interview. The Premier League is a big pull for a lot of players man. People think not having Europe is an open and shut case, but the guy looks really chuffed to be here. Happy for him and looking forward to him doing well.

Surprised no one picked up on this part of his interview "I think Newcastle for now is the best step for me to develop myself

Doesn't bother me as ultimately he's signed and as long he performs and we remain ambitious he'll be here for a while but knowing how some of our fans are I'm surprised they haven't panicked over it 

If we sign players who want to play in europe to get us into europe if we dont match their expectations they will want to move on. Ambition is good, I dont want players not caring how well teh club is doing anymore

3 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Surprised no one picked up on this part of his interview "I think Newcastle for now is the best step for me to develop myself

Doesn't bother me as ultimately he's signed and as long he performs and we remain ambitious he'll be here for a while but knowing how some of our fans are I'm surprised they haven't panicked over it 

I think I will find it hard to ever panic when we have these owners. If 'big' clubs were to ever come in for him it would be because he's smashed it for us, and we would get a large fee.

Issues are easily fixed when you're rolling in it.

13 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

It's like Bruno, if we're not qualifying for Europe in a few years, he'll be off. He's too good not be playing at that level.

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Great interview. The Premier League is a big pull for a lot of players man. People think not having Europe is an open and shut case, but the guy looks really chuffed to be here. Happy for him and looking forward to him doing well.

Yes. On a bittersweet note, it's pretty clear he knows more about the PL than NUFC and that's his main driver, though I appreciate him being honest about that. Shows we have some work to do with re-establishing ourselves internationally and in the minds of younger players. I guess he probably wasn't potty trained when Bellamy put Feyenoord out of the Champion's League. That's a battle the owners will have to keep fighting for the next couple of years at least when it comes to winning sought after signings like this guy.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's like Bruno, if we're not qualifying for Europe in a few years, he'll be off. He's too good not be playing at that level.

Big reason I think this 4-5 years to get into the CL doesn’t make sense. If these signings are as good as we hope - they’ll want out in 24 months if we aren’t looking like we can be contenders for CL spots.  

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Big reason I think this 4-5 years to get into the CL doesn’t make sense. If these signings are as good as we hope - they’ll want out in 24 months if we aren’t looking like we can be contenders for CL spots.  

Eh? I reckon we'll need to look like contenders in 2 years if we're planning on qualifying in 4-5.

16 minutes ago, 80 said:

Yes. On a bittersweet note, it's pretty clear he knows more about the PL than NUFC and that's his main driver, though I appreciate him being honest about that. Shows we have some work to do with re-establishing ourselves internationally and in the minds of younger players. I guess he probably wasn't potty trained when Bellamy put Feyenoord out of the Champion's League. That's a battle the owners will have to keep fighting for the next couple of years at least when it comes to winning sought after signings like this guy.

I mean it's to be expected man, don't think it's that big of a deal. The good thing is that with the way the club is now, he's going to love being a part of it, and that is far more important than what he knew about it previously. These are all really young guys.

With more recent success the club will become more recognisable, I mean just look at Man City. No one was joining them initially because they were enamoured by their history. 

Edited by KaKa

22 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Came across really well in his interview on NufcTV. Speaks well, looks happy and relaxed and appeared humble and excited to progress with us. If he settles quickly and bring his physical and technical qualities to the team, he's going to be loved here. I get the feeling his signing for Milan would have been met by their fanbase with mostly indifference whereas here, I think and hope he'll end up revered, or at the least a cult hero

He'd be in a really tough position at Milan. Kalulu has emerged as a darling among Milan fans--the only way they could stomach Botman was Kalulu playing as a RB--and many were skeptical of Botman, but then Stam (who we like) talked him up, and if Maldini wants a defender, well, you put your doubts aside, right?

We just re-signed Florenzi, our second-choice RB, and with our new captain, local boy from our youth Calabria (new captain), Kalulu isn't going to be playing RB, but CB, so Botman would be fighting with our new wonderboy (first professional appearance in football, in his life, for Milan) plus the most popular Englishman in Italy, Tomori, and the return of an actual hero in Kjaer from his ACL surgery in November.

He would have had to hit the ground running, from day one, and I think that was a bad situation for him. Newcastle has ambition and your team isn't being built in a moronic way. You seem to have the best English manager, genuinely, because he seems to have way more tactical know-how than Southgate, and that guy runs England. Insane what a cup run with overwhelming talent can do for a caretaker, eh?

I think Chelsea are going to fall behind, they might even run into a little bit of an Arsenal/Man Utd phase, while Conte's tenure at Spurs is going to end poorly, even if he wins something, Conte burns players, executives, and fans out. I think Arteta is overrated, so I think there's a pathway to get to top four, if you up your squad quality, particularly in attack. I guess a big part of that is how will Saint Maximin handle increased expectations? Can he be more consistent? Will Calum be able to score like you need him to? I'm sure there are other areas, but I don't think the EPL is as strong as people believe, because, once you go past Liverpool and City, I think the quality drops dramatically.

Chelsea should be better, but Tuchel is getting a lot of leeway with his CL win. But he's done poorly with the tools at his disposal. I love how Lukaku's failure is being spun as Tuchel being handed a misfit. Yes, Lukaku is just... he's a weird guy. He really is. He's back at Inter, but he's still a massive loss for Chelsea, and Chelsea weren't bought to add to the vanity of a billionaire. They were bought to make money. Like Arsenal, like Man Utd. They don't seem to be making moves that show a massive shift in philosophy, they're looking to grab Sterling, after Tuchel has done nothing with Werner, Pulisic, Ziyech, Lukaku, and Havertz. He didn't buy most of them, but he's the one who decided against keeping Giroud. He's the one who let Tammy go. Chelsea let Tomori go, and correct me if I'm wrong: don't Chelsea need a CB?

I'm not predicting you'll get top 4, but I think you can challenge for it. It's probably more natural to get EL first, to let your squad handle the rigors of Europe, also help Howe, as well. But I think it's Liverpool, City, and everyone else, the gap is huge. Especially as Ten Hag has such a huge uphill battle with Man Utd. He's a good coach, but it's still the idiots who run Man Utd, their proteges, they're there still. They still don't get why they've messed up. They still are going to bank on Bruno Fernandes? It's just a mess, and if Ten Hag actually gets support, he can turn things around, but he'll need a year, because there is a lot of expensive defenders who aren't going to help him there.

You just need to be patient with Botman, because, unlike Bruno, Paqueta, or Trippier, he hasn't had to deal with expectations yet. He's a smart kid, but, VVD comparisons are not going to help a kid who still needs to learn his trade.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I mean it's to be expected man, don't think it's that big of a deal. The good thing is that with the way the club s now, he's going to love being a part of it, and that is far more important than what he knew about it previously. These ar ell really young guys.

With more recent success the club will become more recognisable, I mean just look at Man City. No one was joining them initially because they were enamoured by their history. 

yeah, his expectations can only be surpassed. He'll fall in love with the club.

4 minutes ago, Milanista said:

He'd be in a really tough position at Milan. Kalulu has emerged as a darling among Milan fans--the only way they could stomach Botman was Kalulu playing as a RB--and many were skeptical of Botman, but then Stam (who we like) talked him up, and if Maldini wants a defender, well, you put your doubts aside, right?

We just re-signed Florenzi, our second-choice RB, and with our new captain, local boy from our youth Calabria (new captain), Kalulu isn't going to be playing RB, but CB, so Botman would be fighting with our new wonderboy (first professional appearance in football, in his life, for Milan) plus the most popular Englishman in Italy, Tomori, and the return of an actual hero in Kjaer from his ACL surgery in November.

He would have had to hit the ground running, from day one, and I think that was a bad situation for him. Newcastle has ambition and your team isn't being built in a moronic way. You seem to have the best English manager, genuinely, because he seems to have way more tactical know-how than Southgate, and that guy runs England. Insane what a cup run with overwhelming talent can do for a caretaker, eh?

I think Chelsea are going to fall behind, they might even run into a little bit of an Arsenal/Man Utd phase, while Conte's tenure at Spurs is going to end poorly, even if he wins something, Conte burns players, executives, and fans out. I think Arteta is overrated, so I think there's a pathway to get to top four, if you up your squad quality, particularly in attack. I guess a big part of that is how will Saint Maximin handle increased expectations? Can he be more consistent? Will Calum be able to score like you need him to? I'm sure there are other areas, but I don't think the EPL is as strong as people believe, because, once you go past Liverpool and City, I think the quality drops dramatically.

Chelsea should be better, but Tuchel is getting a lot of leeway with his CL win. But he's done poorly with the tools at his disposal. I love how Lukaku's failure is being spun as Tuchel being handed a misfit. Yes, Lukaku is just... he's a weird guy. He really is. He's back at Inter, but he's still a massive loss for Chelsea, and Chelsea weren't bought to add to the vanity of a billionaire. They were bought to make money. Like Arsenal, like Man Utd. They don't seem to be making moves that show a massive shift in philosophy, they're looking to grab Sterling, after Tuchel has done nothing with Werner, Pulisic, Ziyech, Lukaku, and Havertz. He didn't buy most of them, but he's the one who decided against keeping Giroud. He's the one who let Tammy go. Chelsea let Tomori go, and correct me if I'm wrong: don't Chelsea need a CB?

I'm not predicting you'll get top 4, but I think you can challenge for it. It's probably more natural to get EL first, to let your squad handle the rigors of Europe, also help Howe, as well. But I think it's Liverpool, City, and everyone else, the gap is huge. Especially as Ten Hag has such a huge uphill battle with Man Utd. He's a good coach, but it's still the idiots who run Man Utd, their proteges, they're there still. They still don't get why they've messed up. They still are going to bank on Bruno Fernandes? It's just a mess, and if Ten Hag actually gets support, he can turn things around, but he'll need a year, because there is a lot of expensive defenders who aren't going to help him there.

You just need to be patient with Botman, because, unlike Bruno, Paqueta, or Trippier, he hasn't had to deal with expectations yet. He's a smart kid, but, VVD comparisons are not going to help a kid who still needs to learn his trade.

We should be paying a subscription for these :clap:

5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Eh? I reckon we'll need to look like contenders in 2 years if we're planning on qualifying in 4-5.

If we look like contenders in 2 years - we’ll have the financial might to get it done in 3 years. 

Likely to be 5 CL places from 24 onwards and the EL route. 

5 minutes ago, Milanista said:

Top notch analysis as usual. To address one of those points, I think Chelsea were supposed to be buying Kounde, not sure where that stands though

3 minutes ago, Milanista said:

I'm not predicting you'll get top 4, but I think you can challenge for it

We need improvement in the midfield and forward areas before we get anywhere near that position. Hopefully we will sign a forward, right winger and central midfielder before the transfer window is over. However, even then, I still think we are a bit away from making top 4.