Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

I’d imagine Schar was much worse with his passing stats :lol: but I remember Botman giving it straight to West Ham to set them on the counter a couple of times. Then the one near the end where he just hammered it straight off and nobody was within 30 yards of the ball. 

He was quality, as always. Just think there were a few sloppy moments. Which is unlike him. 

Just now, KingArthur said:

For a Dutch that has played at Ajax, he is surprisingly uncomfortable with the ball. Huge difference to Schär, who to be fair is great. 

You been watching Titus Bramble?

19 minutes ago, Kanji said:

He looked incredible. People misplace places, ffs. 

The lack of Bruno in the middle caused problems for us playing out from the back, he always always available as an out ball.

Edited by pubteam

9 minutes ago, CPL said:

You been watching Titus Bramble?

No, just comparing him to Schär. Doesn't want to use his right foot, which puts him under pressure unnecessarily. 

He is great defender and was good today (again). He just was sloppy on the ball, but we were poor with the ball as a whole. 

edit. For example, doesn't like to step out with the ball from the back, again comparing to Schär. Don't understand why saying this makes people react so angrily? It's not like I say he is poor. Just comparing him to Ake, Blind etc. who have played as a full back even.

Edited by KingArthur

For he age he is incredible. To think he is nowhere near finished developing is wild. Seen very few defenders as good as him in a black and white shirt. Two (Woodgate and colo) since I've been supporting. It's a pinch myself moment we got him really.

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

He's absolutely brilliant with the ball.

His switches to Trippier are a huge asset

He’s quite good. I don’t think he’s as good as Schaar though. Poor choice of words from King Arthur. Not uncomfortable, just not as fluid and aggressive as Fab.

13 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

No, just comparing him to Schär. Doesn't want to use his right foot, which puts him under pressure unnecessarily. 

He is great defender and was good today (again). He just was sloppy on the ball, but we were poor with the ball as a whole. 

edit. For example, doesn't like to step out with the ball from the back, again comparing to Schär. Don't understand why saying this makes people react so angrily? It's not like I say he is poor. Just comparing him to Ake, Blind etc. who have played as a full back even.

You mentioned he is uncomfortable with the ball which couldn't be further from the truth. Bruno not playing today put more pressure on us as Joelinton and Willock aren't as good in a deeper position. 

16 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Schar is very sloppy on the ball at times. 

16 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

Well by that logic Schar is equally crap as he doesn’t want to play it out with his left foot 🤦🏻 

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Schar is very sloppy on the ball at times. 

True, and missplaces passes like today. But his job clearly is to be more creative of the 2 centrehalves. Try to play longer pass to left wing, behing for Wilson or step out with the ball. Botman plays deeper and easier. Driven pass to Trippier is good one of course. We will see this better against Liverpool or City when they most likely will be pressing high. Love to be proven wrong.

He is superb in the most important task, that is defending and had Antonio who is really strong handled well.

I love the guy. Just noticed that he keeps the play pretty simple. 

22 minutes ago, CPL said:

You mentioned he is uncomfortable with the ball which couldn't be further from the truth. Bruno not playing today put more pressure on us as Joelinton and Willock aren't as good in a deeper position. 

English is my third language, so maybe uncomfortable is not the right word. I think "not his greatest strength" would be better. Not saying he is poor on the ball. Sorry if this was misunderstood.

11 hours ago, KingArthur said:

English is my third language, so maybe uncomfortable is not the right word. I think "not his greatest strength" would be better. Not saying he is poor on the ball. Sorry if this was misunderstood.

I knew what you meant you Anglophile named NUFC-nutjob 😉 He doesn’t look ‘hungry for possession’ (his own) take lots of subtle touches or showboat. He’s comfortable, technically adept and a great long passer. But he is efficient, gets rid, and lets the forward players do their thing. 
However we conceptualise his game, it is extremely effective. Hope he carries on doing what he’s doing, except for he needs to score a thunderbastard winner at Wembley which I intend to (unwisely) place a chunk of money on. 

I think it's worth noting that a lot of the actions you see taken by our players are their own specific instructions now, rather than them just doing what they think works as with under the likes of Bruce.

For example, Schar being more inclined to carry the ball forward than Botman is because Botman has recovery pace that Schar doesn't, so it's less of a risk. Schar will often be more aggressive going in for the challenge, with Botman ready to sweep in behind, likely for the same reason.

I also read somewhere that our defenders are explicitly told to use the keeper less (I think it might have been an article on Botman), but look for a line breaking pass as frequently as possible. Line breaking passes are high risk, high reward, so it stands to reason that some high risk passes are going to fail. The important thing is that the upside of the higher risk passes far outweighs the downside that the occasional failed pass brings.