Lucas Digne

53 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Digne comes across as a bit of a wanker, but it has to be said Benitez doesn’t come out of it smelling of roses.  He’s hardly doing a great job, regardless of the circumstances- and he couldn’t have been unaware of what the reaction of Evertonians would be to his appointment.

We loved him when he was here, but that was mainly because his appointment was surreal - Ashley didn’t appoint proper managers, he appointed washed-up MOTR yes-men.  So given Rafa’s CV, it was an incredible appointment in the circumstances - though I dare say that at a properly run NUFC, plenty wouldn’t have put up with the football on display for too long before questions were asked.

I still have massive amounts of fondness for the man, and how he handled himself at Newcastle under that dickhead former owner of ours.  But he still feels like yesterday’s man.  

How is he yeterdays man? He has being an absolute success everywhere. The only thing id say is he fucked up going to everton when the fans already didnt want him there. In saying that he started off brilliantly until they got crippled with injuries and spent nothing in the transfer market. Who is the last manager for everton who has done a good job there is what you need to think about? Koeman spunked a load of money on shite and set them back years and Rafa is trying to rebuild again, im fucking jealous they have him tbh. If they give him time he will do a great job i have no doubt. We dont know what happened but surprise player that got kicked out of the club has a dig at him as he leaves

1 hour ago, Newcastle Fan said:

To be honest seeing how he's handled all of this i'm glad he didn't come to us, strange for Villa to sign him as Matt Targett isn't that bad either.

Gerrard's style of play is all about full backs.

Targett is good defensively but awful at the other end of the pitch. That'll be why he has signed Digne.

4 hours ago, Neil said:

What a load of shite. :lol:

He's ostracised one of our best players, in one of the few positions we had someone of actual quality, because he dared to have a very valid opinion on his tactics.

I dont doubt blame is attached to Digne too as there are always 2 sides, but save it with the Rafa is a saint nonsense.

As for his dignity he's doing a good enough job of losing that himself. The best way he can help that is have a team pick up more than 6 points from their last 12 games.

Not having that like. 

The players aren't playing for Rafa because they know they can get him sacked and the reason they know that is because the fans don't want him.

I don't blame Everton fans on that front. I'm not sure how I'd feel having an ex Sunderland legend managing us. It was a ridiculous appointment.

Does he have a right to question the manager? How many trophies has Digne won?

Everton are a shitshow at the moment, it's no wonder you are pissed off when you are losing your better players to Villa and taking their cast offs in return.

2 hours ago, brummie said:

Gerrard's style of play is all about full backs.

Targett is good defensively but awful at the other end of the pitch. That'll be why he has signed Digne.

Can we have Targett please?

45 minutes ago, STM said:

Not having that like. 

The players aren't playing for Rafa because they know they can get him sacked and the reason they know that is because the fans don't want him.

I don't blame Everton fans on that front. I'm not sure how I'd feel having an ex Sunderland legend managing us. It was a ridiculous appointment.

Does he have a right to question the manager? How many trophies has Digne won?

Everton are a shitshow at the moment, it's no wonder you are pissed off when you are losing your better players to Villa and taking their cast offs in return.

What on earth are you rambling on about?

I made a very simple point about there being blame on both sides but this fits a pattern of Benitez ostracising players who'd previously had no issues at the clubs hes managed. There's not much not to "have".

Then for some reason you've gone off the rails talking about him being ex Liverpool in what I can only describe as a bizarrely partisan defence of him.

If he starts winning us games to help move on from his disastrous campaign so far, all will be well.

Edited by Neil

• 4 weeks later...

At Rangers, Gerrard playing 4 at the back with Tavernier and Barisic as wing backs worked because they were dominating possession against vastly inferior opposition. Granted they had some brilliant wins in Europe, but it’s not a risk to do that against St Mirren or Dundee or Ross County, in the same way as it is trying to do the same with Villa in the PL. Could be why they’re shipping goals and Digne looks meh.

Edited by AJ9

2 minutes ago, duo said:

I was shocked when Villa bought Digne as I've always rated Targett. Was even more shocked when they agreed to let Targett to then come on loan to us.  Great bit of business.

I think Targett is a much better fit in our side like, considering ASM’s reluctance to get back and defend. 

His influence, and BDB’s could be what sees us through without Trippier. Two very astute signings based off admittedly not a lot in a black and white shirt, but their form previously was decent. 

I was gutted we never got Targett under Benitez, thought it was going to make him resign actually as he was reportedly very pissed off on that deadline day IIRC. 

44 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

I think Targett is a much better fit in our side like, considering ASM’s reluctance to get back and defend. 

His influence, and BDB’s could be what sees us through without Trippier. Two very astute signings based off admittedly not a lot in a black and white shirt, but their form previously was decent. 

I was gutted we never got Targett under Benitez, thought it was going to make him resign actually as he was reportedly very pissed off on that deadline day IIRC. 

Villa fans said similar about Targett with Grealish.