Diego Carlos

Nobody

Just now, r0cafella said:

In this case we should consider the loan market. 

I would honestly rather go for a new left back and use Dummett and our existing cbs minus Clark rather than sign the likes of Philips. That’s assuming we get a good DM in.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

When you have limited time and resources it can only have been a waste of both really. Personally I'd prefer to go for someone solid and dependable who'll keep us up, then go for our first target in the summer instead of spending huge amounts on our fourth or fifth target now.

If we can still sign a CB who's better than at least Lascelles, we've got away with it, basically.

Not securing the win against Watford was the worst thing to happen this month, and having a better CB on the pitch might have meant that the game finished 1-0 as opposed to 1-1. But, by the same token, a sterling defensive performance by an established unit (including MOTM Schar) ensured that we collected three points against Leeds, where a brand new CB might have caused a problem due to not having integrated. Both hypotheticals but the point is we've had an okay January results-wise and the lack of a new CB hasn't mattered. 

I'll be really frustrated if we end up with no one; in that scenario, whether or not the Botman/Carlos stuff was a waste of time won't really be the headline; the issue will have been, more broadly, the lack of competence of everyone at the club to effectively identify and then secure realistic targets who A, want to play for us and B, are at clubs who will sell to us.  

2 hours ago, r0cafella said:

So it’s @Trensa1 -0 Newcastle online :lol:

Not at all, just common sense.

A reflection on all this and on your intention in the transfer market.

I think you've got the wrong profile of players to target. Bringing out players like DC or Botman is not easy, and if it's not easy it means it's too expensive.

From my point of view I think that in this first stage of your new era you should opt for a profile of players with potential and a step below the top players in Europe.

There are players with brutal potential in second-tier teams that are much more accessible and that would allow you to have a much more balanced squad than having, for example, a top centre-back and a top striker.

Once you have a balanced squad is when, thanks to your new purchasing power, I would go for players in certain positions.

I've noticed some of you desperate not to sign this or that player and signing him wouldn't make any difference if the environment isn't right.

I think a three or four year project would be the best way to avoid despair.

Nothing more, it has been interesting these days of debate here and I don't want to bother you any more.

2 minutes ago, Trensa said:

I think you've got the wrong profile of players to target. Bringing out players like DC or Botman is not easy, and if it's not easy it means it's too expensive.

From my point of view I think that in this first stage of your new era you should opt for a profile of players with potential and a step below the top players in Europe.

There are players with brutal potential in second-tier teams that are much more accessible and that would allow you to have a much more balanced squad than having, for example, a top centre-back and a top striker.

Once you have a balanced squad is when, thanks to your new purchasing power, I would go for players in certain positions.

I've noticed some of you desperate not to sign this or that player and signing him wouldn't make any difference if the environment isn't right.

Nothing more, it has been interesting these days of debate here and I don't want to bother you any more.

Good post, totally agree with the bit in bold.

Edited by The Prophet

I kind of disagree. Go for the best you can, if you cant get, move on.  You may end up with slightly lesser players but if you don't ask you don't get. Providing we've improved substantially by the end of the window wer'e good.

If the journos are to be believed (and that's big if) then Sevilla was really waffling.  They don't want to sell the player but they liked the idea of the money they could get.  Things were also complicated by "agreeing personal terms" and who the hell knows what that meant.  It certainly would have been better if Sevilla gave us a hard no as we got with Botman but the owners had to be doing their due diligence.

The Guimaraes deal didn't come together in a day so we have to conclude that the journos had no knowledge of it.  Who knows, while they post endless streams of speculation maybe the club are really getting things done.  Let's hope this is the case. 

4 hours ago, Trensa said:

De acuerdo amigo. 

I think we should look at Everton as a great way to avoid obvious traps. They went out and paid some huge fees for players that looked like something on paper or were 'Premier League proven' without considering what the long-term viability of each player was or how they connected. It's still very early, and we've certainly had some knockbacks, but I'm pleased the two we've signed have been clear upgrades and fit into what our manager wants in one form or another. 

We've not, for example, gone and signed Sigurdsson, Klassen, and Rooney only to question how they fit together. 

8 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

This is definitely one for the summer - let’s hope we can keep our league position and come back in for him then 

Nah, let this one go, go for someone younger and better. He/they’ve had their chance!

12 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Nah, let this one go, go for someone younger and better. He/they’ve had their chance!

I really like him, but if he doesn't come this window I think that's his big chance gone. He'll have to see out his days on a slightly improved contract at Sevilla, that Monchi fella seems too stubborn to drop the price until he's too old to be of value anyway.

Just now, TRon said:

I really like him, but if he doesn't come this window I think that's his big chance gone. He'll have to see out his days on a slightly improved contract at Sevilla, that Monchi fella seems too stubborn to drop the price until he's too old to be of value anyway.

If we stay up I think we can do better, or rather get someone in of similar quality for a similar price range, but who is younger.