Diego Carlos

Nobody

Why have we chosen to pay tens of millions for an uncapped, unproven, almost 30 year old CB when we could probably pick up half a dozen current PL defenders for that, or the best of the Championship. 
It doesn’t seem like a good business at all this one. If it was £10m, ok. But £30 odd?!

It's 1st Jan and the only things NUFC have got is a big, stinking pile of Saudi money and a dogshit squad of players - that's it. Literally nothing else. Loads of cash and a threadbare squad. That massive pile of cash has slightly shrunk and we've now got Trippier and Wood. The squad should be better but it's still nowhere near enough to stay up and there's only one thing they can do with all of that cash and that's spend the fucker, on Carlos or whoever. Throwing money at the problem is the only way we possibly get out of this mess and if we throw enough of it then it might just work. 

There was pretty much zero talent on 1st January and now there's a bit more, still not enough. The fees we're paying don't really matter immediately as the pile is just unfathomably huge. Just get the players in, get the points on the board and stay up. 

I'm Brazilian and I've been following Newcastle transfer window. Look, in my opinion the great defender of Sevilla is evidently Koundé, much more sophisticated than Diego Carlos. What Diego does well is complementing Koundé with a more assertive and aggressive posture.

Will he work at Newcastle as the team's main centre-back? I think so, he is no worse than the players I watched against Watford. 

Is he Newcastle's salvation? No. It would be nice to complement Diego with a player like Botman who, in addition to being tall and strong, also knows how to play with his feet, Diego is a more of a "traditional" defender.

Edited by cranna

2 minutes ago, cranna said:

I'm Brazilian and I've been following the Newcastle transfer window. Look, in my opinion the great defender of Sevilla is evidently Koundé, much more sophisticated than Diego Carlos. What Diego does well is complementing Koundé with a more assertive and aggressive posture.

Will he work at Newcastle as the team's main centre-back? I think so, he is no worse than the players I watched against Watford. 

Is he Newcastle's salvation? No. It would be nice to complement Diego with a player like Botman who, in addition to being tall and strong, also knows how to play with his feet, Diego is a more "traditional" defender.

It’s ok, we have Ciaran Clark

1 hour ago, CFlan said:

What’s the cut off for point that we need to have him registered by so he can play against Watford? 

Unfortunately the ship has sailed on that one. 

For Leeds, he will have to be registered noon the day before the match. He does need a WP and that will take time, so unlikely to be in time.

I get that he wants to leave etc and I would too, 3x your salary would tempt anyone, but to describe it as "life changing" seems a little odd.

Surely the guy is already a millionaire and could easily never work again from tomorrow if he wanted, living very comfortably through to extreme old age without wanting for anything ever again. I'm not sure to what extent this will "change his life".

1 hour ago, cranna said:

I'm Brazilian and I've been following Newcastle transfer window. Look, in my opinion the great defender of Sevilla is evidently Koundé, much more sophisticated than Diego Carlos. What Diego does well is complementing Koundé with a more assertive and aggressive posture.

Is he Newcastle's salvation? No. It would be nice to complement Diego with a player like Botman who, in addition to being tall and strong, also knows how to play with his feet, Diego is a more of a "traditional" defender.

Yeah, I do think this was the thinking behind the attempt at a Botman / Carlos pairing.  Both complementing and offering what the other lacks.

The main thing for me is that he's clearly better than what is there already.  That is the only litmus test at present.  I'm not worried if he isn't a world-beater; he just needs to be a reasonably capable top-flight centre half.  I think he is that at least - so he'll dee for me.  The transfer request also makes the reports of Sevilla looking for double-money even more ludicrous.  Not going to happen - and we should remember that the Spanish football press (and boards / owners) are no less full of shit than those in England.  I'm pretty confident this will now get done at roughly the fee that has been reported elsewhere (c.30m)

Do we not have any other players lined up ? Surely if its survival then we need a quick fix and then build in the summer why not try Jonny Evans or Gigot, there must be loads of good players who's contract is up in the summer, I suppose next week is deal week.

9 hours ago, jack j said:

If he ends up staying at Sevilla how will the fans react towards him after he's requested to leave ?

We used to it. Every year we hear Something like that. Last year Kounde, Banega before, Rakitic before, etc, etc. 

The path is always the same, He is not leaving, says he is happy here and play as always. 

We are a seller club but in our terms. 

8 hours ago, Chris_R said:

I get that he wants to leave etc and I would too, 3x your salary would tempt anyone, but to describe it as "life changing" seems a little odd.

Surely the guy is already a millionaire and could easily never work again from tomorrow if he wanted, living very comfortably through to extreme old age without wanting for anything ever again. I'm not sure to what extent this will "change his life".

Or maybe He values more his sport performance than the financial. 

56 minutes ago, Trensa said:

We used to it. Every year we hear Something like that. Last year Kounde, Banega before, Rakitic before, etc, etc. 

The path is always the same, He is not leaving, says he is happy here and play as always. 

We are a seller club but in our terms. 

Or maybe He values more his sport performance than the financial. 

At Newcastle he will be able to manage his sports performance as well as make life changing advances in his financial position. Let's be realistic here, professional footballers are always going to put their own future first.

Yes you can keep hold of him and force him to his contract, that's your right, but Newcastle will only offer a very generous price, and from what I am hearing this is the final offer. If you keep Carlos you will have an unhappy player who will leave anyway in the summer, and probably for a lot less money. We will move on to someone else. 

17 minutes ago, TRon said:

At Newcastle he will be able to manage his sports performance as well as make life changing advances in his financial position. Let's be realistic here, professional footballers are always going to put their own future first.

Yes you can keep hold of him and force him to his contract, that's your right, but Newcastle will only offer a very generous price, and from what I am hearing this is the final offer. If you keep Carlos you will have an unhappy player who will leave anyway in the summer, and probably for a lot less money. We will move on to someone else. 

If he stay here probarly we sign the contract renewed before summer, he was so close before your offer. 

And, with the due respect because this is your home and I am a tourist. 

Today there is not color, talking about sport performance, between you and us. Tomorrow maybe It is different but not Today. 

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The lad has already said Sevilla are well versed in this sort of situation and have dealt with it fine - giving loads of examples. I doubt we know better. 

I don't have any issues with most of what he said, but the last line struck me as a bit petty:

"maybe He values more his sport performance than the financial"

Then why has he asked for a move to Newcastle? 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't have any issues with most of what he said, but the last line struck me as a bit petty:

"maybe He values more his sport performance than the financial"

Then why has he asked for a move to Newcastle? 

Because we are the only ones offering triple his salary at present? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Trensa said:

If he stay here probarly we sign the contract renewed before summer, he was so close before your offer. 

And, with the due respect because this is your home and I am a tourist. 

Today there is not color, talking about sport performance, between you and us. Tomorrow maybe It is different but not Today. 

Yes I can respect that, you are far more successful than us today. But try renewing his contract on the same wages he is on currently if you really believe finances are less important than sports performance.