Diego Carlos

Nobody

Just now, macphisto said:

With a team as poor as our team, I'm surprised we haven't had more deals lined up at the beginning of the month. We haven't got the luxury of time and every point is so important now. 

Yes, it is a difficult month to buy top players but not to upgrade on our team. 

Agree with that. The longer the window goes on, the more sellers can drive up their prices. There is literally no incentive to sell, as long as you feel you can get a similar deal in the summer. It should have been a number of take it or leave it deals offered before Jan rather than all this dicking around.

3 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

If Sevilla are moving the goal posts - don’t waste time agreeing personal terms 

once the fee has been agreed , the easy part should be agreeing personal terms (if everything is to be believed and we are offering fantastic wages) ??

Yes sound the player out ? But it appears Sevilla are doing the same as every other club (adding on 5 million , every few days) 

That's because they don't want to sell unless they get a stupidly high amount. We are agreeing terms with the player to unsettle him and put pressure on them to be reasonable and agree a fair fee. It's called negotiation. 

Well, seeing as we had no recruitment people nor any big name pull in Howe, we were always a bit fucked. But I think its honestly terrible work that we havent been able to identify more players around the globe. Its not like only Diego Carlos or Botman etc will improve us.

As much as you can say about the January window, they have done a shit job in my eyes.

1 minute ago, alijmitchell said:

Agree with that. The longer the window goes on, the more sellers can drive up their prices. There is literally no incentive to sell, as long as you feel you can get a similar deal in the summer. It should have been a number of take it or leave it deals offered before Jan rather than all this dicking around.

And almost all of those take it or leave it deals offered in December would probably have been rejected, as has been explained multiple times.

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

He wasn't out of our price range though. We were led to believe Lille would sell. It's really not our fault the selling club changed their mind. You seem to have an expectation that every transfer can be done in a few days when that really isn't the case in January and especially not for a club in our position.

Not at all.

But we moved from one complicated deal with Botman on to another with Carlos and especially in the Carlos transfer it appears we're prioritising the perfect deal over having him in for Watford/Leeds.

It's risky.

Just now, PlymouthGeordie said:

Not at all.

But we moved from one complicated deal with Botman on to another with Carlos and especially in the Carlos transfer it appears we're prioritising the perfect deal over having him in for Watford/Leeds.

It's risky.

I agree with this, yes. It might have made sense to try and get a lower profile, reliable CB in earlier. But we don't know who is available. Two thirds of the PL clubs haven't signed a single player yet. People just don't want to do business in Jan.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's because they don't want to sell unless they get a stupidly high amount. We are agreeing terms with the player to unsettle him and put pressure on them to be reasonable and agree a fair fee. It's called negotiation. 

I understand that , it just seems we appear to be very poor at negotiating/ or understanding if a club is playing hardball or not interested at all 

Edited by JonBez comesock

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

I agree with this, yes. It might have made sense to try and get a lower profile, reliable CB in earlier. But we don't know who is available. Two thirds of the PL clubs haven't signed a single player yet. People just don't want to do business in Jan.

I think some fans just have real trouble digesting that tbh. 

17 minutes ago, TRon said:

So then your claim that sports performance was valued more than financial was incorrect, do you agree? That was the only part of your post which I disagreed with, I don't mind anyone saying Sevilla are far ahead of us as a football club. For now anyway. 

Money is always a thing, but probarly if We doubled his wage he would be happy to stay because his role here and because he almost sign a New contract with worse numbers. 

If money were the only thing Qatar league would be the Best on earth. 

5 minutes ago, worthy said:

Well, seeing as we had no recruitment people nor any big name pull in Howe, we were always a bit fucked. But I think its honestly terrible work that we havent been able to identify more players around the globe. Its not like only Diego Carlos or Botman etc will improve us.

As much as you can say about the January window, they have done a shit job in my eyes.

You don't get an England first choice RB and proven PL striker if you're doing a shit job.

1 minute ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

You don't get an England first choice RB and proven PL striker if you're doing a shit job.

Trippier is a good deal ill give you that. But Wood is at best below average. There should be plenty plenty pleeeeeeenty of players capable of doing as good if not better job out there than what we have. that 4 million man in Watfords team showing what decent recruitment looks like.

Just now, TRon said:

I think some fans just have real trouble digesting that tbh. 

Two thirds of the Premier League are not facing relegation and 19 teams in the Premier League have won more games than us.

The league title is sown up by Man City, realistically only four teams are in relegation trouble all there's no reason for most teams to push the boat out in terms of buying players.

35 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I agree on this.

But Botman was our number 1 target and we spent 2 weeks on him and failed.

We now appear to have spent the best part of 2 weeks on Carlos and on the face of it progress appears slow and as a result we'll likely play 2 winnable games with no new CB and we've dropped 2 points in the first of those winnable games.

It's not great is all I'm saying.

We've dropped nothing through players that were never here, not being here.

Just now, Trensa said:

Money is always a thing, but probarly if We doubled his wage he would be happy to stay because his role here and because he almost sign a New contract with worse numbers. 

If money were the only thing Qatar league would be the Best on earth. 

Money isn't the only thing, but it's important. If he's prepared to stay at Sevilla earning less than 70% of what he can earn at Newcastle then congratulations, you will have proved your point. But I think you will be selling him anyway in the summer, if not to us, then someone else. As far as I know Sevilla can't really afford to start doubling wages, Spanish clubs are not doing so well by following this policy. 

2 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Two thirds of the Premier League are not facing relegation and 19 teams in the Premier League have won more games than us.

The league title is sown up by Man City, realistically only four teams are in relegation trouble all there's no reason for most teams to push the boat out in terms of buying players.

It's still January, we've got one more game left before the window closes, and we'll have another 17 after that. Getting the right players might make more difference over the rest of the season than buying anyone who we can get within 4 days. 

3 minutes ago, macphisto said:

This happens every year though. It has nothing to do with clubs not wanting to buy players and everything to do with selling clubs not wanting to risk weakening their squads in the middle of an important run of fixtures. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

It's still January, we've got one more game left before the window closes, and we'll have another 17 after that. Getting the right players might make more difference over the rest of the season than buying anyone who we can get within 4 days. 

4 days? Where's that come from, did they buy the club in late December?

37 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I agree on this.

But Botman was our number 1 target and we spent 2 weeks on him and failed.

We now appear to have spent the best part of 2 weeks on Carlos and on the face of it progress appears slow and as a result we'll likely play 2 winnable games with no new CB and we've dropped 2 points in the first of those winnable games.

It's not great is all I'm saying.

It’s ok with hindsight though isn’t it. Botman was our no1 target by the looks of it and personally I’d want them to go all out to try to get the top target. 2 weeks isn’t that long to try and they were obviously looking at other options at the same time.

If come the end of the window they have worked their way down their list and not got anyone at all in then that’s different but even so, this is a difficult window to do business in and it’s not just a case of saying ‘we want x player’ and the next thing you know he’s flying in for a medical. It just doesn’t work like that. 

2 minutes ago, macphisto said:

4 days? Where's that come from, did they buy the club in late December?

Before the Leeds game. Point is, we aren't going to switch to lower grade players to target a couple of games, no matter how life and death they might seem. We've got the rest of this window to try and get the right ones in. Everything can change in the space of 10 days, we have to keep our nerve. 

2 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

This happens every year though. It has nothing to do with clubs not wanting to buy players and everything to do with selling clubs not wanting to risk weakening their squads in the middle of an important run of fixtures. 

Yes, for the top players but not for what we need for the here and now to improve the team. This is a unique situation in terms of our position in the league relative to our finances now. I don't think you can go off the past too much.

I would be staggered if there had not been numerous approaches to the club prior to January by agents offering players this window who we could get and would improve the team. Maybe not the best players but definitely better than what we have which wouldn't be difficult.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Before the Leeds game. Point is, we aren't going to switch to lower grade players to target a couple of games, no matter how life and death they might seem. We've got the rest of this window to try and get the right ones in. Everything can change in the space of 10 days, we have to keep our nerve. 

Totally agree,  Get the top targets in by end of window and then big push with 17 games to go.    It will be a tall order to succeed but its where we are.