Diego Carlos

Nobody

14 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Yes, for the top players but not for what we need for the here and now to improve the team. This is a unique situation in terms of our position in the league relative to our finances now. I don't think you can go off the past too much.

I would be staggered if there had not been numerous approaches to the club prior to January by agents offering players this window who we could get and would improve the team. Maybe not the best players but definitely better than what we have which wouldn't be difficult.

No, for everyone. Just look at the stats for every January transfer window over the last decade. Clubs don't want to sell. I'm sure there have been 100s of approaches by agents to us, that doesn't mean a thing if the selling club doesn't want to think about selling until the last week in January or, in the case of a number of our targets, the summer [emoji38]

3 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

No, for everyone. Just look at the stats for every January transfer window over the last decade. Clubs don't want to sell. I'm sure there have been 100s of approaches by agents to us, that doesn't mean a thing if the selling club doesn't want to think about selling until the last week in January or, in the case of a number of our targets, the summer [emoji38]

But…wE sHuD Av sInGeD TeN pLaYaZ oN 1sT oV jAn….

9 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

No chance we are paying 50million euro. 

Do Newcastle want to pay cheap for a player who is in a team with one of the best defenses in the world in January? It is difficult to understand this situation.

40m pounds for a starting player from one of the best defenses in the world is quite reasonable. 

Edited by cranna

2 minutes ago, cranna said:

Do Newcastle want to pay cheap for a player who is in a team with one of the best defenses in the world in January? It is difficult to understand this situation.

40m pounds for a starting player from one of the best defenses in the world is quite reasonable. Not to mention the fact that it's January and Newcastle are trying hard to get relegated.

Any need to go on like that?

3 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

Any need to go on like that?

Kolo Touré, Lescott, Bridge, Given... Man City paid massive fees for them in 2009/2010. Going too cheap is gonna relegate Newcastle, for sure.

Edited by cranna

Pay the £41m, get it done. Everton paid £25m for Michael effing Keane from Burnley 4 years ago. This chap is a winner and sorts out the shower of shit we have in front of Dubravka.

Edited by HawK

I just posted this in another thread but we desperately need a CB like now.

This is very damning and suggests that in fact CB is the number one priority.

We've all know that Lascelles was just a lump for a while but at least he does being a lump fairly succesfully.

What the fuck is Schar doing in our team? I thought he was supposed to be our best CB and a ball playing defender. Clark has made more progressive passes per 90 than Schar...

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

It does feel like we're spending a lot of time convincing players to come but then unwilling to pay the club's asking price

I wonder if this can work both ways. By agreeing to triple the player's wages we have inadvertently revealed how much we value the player, and how keen we are to sign him. The selling club have every right to play hard ball.

Just now, The Prophet said:

It seems that the Spanish press are being briefed that Sevilla are asking for double what we're offering. Very similar to the Trippier deal.

Yeah. English press reporting it's close and Spanish press going with the opposite.

Frustrating for fans.

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

It does feel like we're spending a lot of time convincing players to come but then unwilling to pay the club's asking price

It’s an interesting approach - get yourself a perfidious reputation and still sign no-one.

Obviously we’re getting stiffed - but then, why should anyone do us a favour?  Usually best not to approach a window desperate and telling the world you have ‘deep pockets’ - the first couldn’t be helped; the second could.

Looks to me like at some point they’re going to have to shit or get off the pot.  No-one wants us to pay over the odds - but this is a bastard of a time to need players, and COVID appears to be making clubs less keen to let anyone go.