Diego Carlos

Nobody

41 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Re Botman, is it not more that Lille categorically don't want to lose him this month?

I think there's that and Botman isn't going to force the issue. Whereas Carlos appears determined to get it done, if reports are to be believed.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

I think there's that and Botman isn't going to force the issue. Whereas Carlos appears determined to get it done, if reports are to be believed.

Carlos looks like a man who forces issues.

£45-50million isn't too much for a club competing in the top 4, so it's not an absurd amount of money, given our ambitions. If he's the top target then I assume we're prepared to pay it. By the time he retires we could be spending £100mill on his replacement.

8 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

£45-50million isn't too much for a club competing in the top 4, so it's not an absurd amount of money, given our ambitions. If he's the top target then I assume we're prepared to pay it. By the time he retires we could be spending £100mill on his replacement.

Personally I would leave them with an enemy within if he's that keen to come and they're acting the goat, nowt wrong with making prospective purchases unhappy.

For those saying "Spend whatever, we're rich", it maybe needs restating that FFP will mean that if we overspend now we'll be hamstrung in the future. See also: Everton.

£50m on a defender with likely no resale value could hit us quite hard down the line. Obviously staying up is vital and we might have to pay a bit more than we want, but we absolutely cannot just pay whatever is demanded for players and allow ourselves to be held to ransom.

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

For those saying "Spend whatever, we're rich", it maybe needs restating that FFP will mean that if we overspend now we'll be hamstrung in the future. See also: Everton.

£50m on a defender with likely no resale value could hit us quite hard down the line. Obviously staying up is vital and we might have to pay a bit more than we want, but we absolutely cannot just pay whatever is demanded for players and allow ourselves to be held to ransom.

25 million for a 30 y/o wood is a much worse deal for this than a 28 cb that is both much needed and is in form

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

I thought it was 200M as things stand. But if we bring in more sponsorship that increases??

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I know what you are getting at but at the end of the day its up to Owners and the accountants/lawyers to worry about this.     If they want Carlos and Lingard and Wood and pay whatever for them - Im not worried about it.   Im more worried about getting relegated not the rules/regs of FFP which has more loopholes than a corkscrew!

4 minutes ago, worthy said:

25 million for a 30 y/o wood is a much worse deal for this than a 28 cb that is both much needed and is in form

We desperately needed a striker, too. Playing without one whilst Wilson is injured, and then risking him not getting injured again, would IMO seal relegation.

4 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

I thought it was 200M as things stand. But if we bring in more sponsorship that increases??

Doesn't matter how much the pot is, we should still be careful how we spend it. Haven't Everton spent some crazy amount like £500m but just hit a wall where they cannot feasibly spend any more? Yeah, spend. Spend big if we have to. But spend carefully and don't be held to ransom.

7 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

You’re again not accounting any future sponsorship /commercial revenue within that equation, which will be significant. 

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You’re again not accounting any future sponsorship /commercial revenue within that equation, which will be significant. 

Well yes and no. I cannot "account" for it, because I don't know how much it is. I'm not attempting to balance the books here and give numbers.

But whatever the number from sponsorship, unless it's something crazy which the league have already said they'll block, then what we spend now will have an impact on what we can spend long term.

Too many on here are being too dismissive of the realities - We absolutely cannot "Man City" our way to the title in a few years. Those days are gone. We may have an almost unlimited amount of money but we do not have the ability to spend it. An element of caution is required or in 4 or 5 years we'll be sat here trying to work out how we can push on with no funds.

You cannot dismiss FFP just by saying "Ah, we'll get a new sponsorship deal!" as if that solves the problem. It doesn't.

Just now, Chris_R said:

Well yes and no. I cannot "account" for it, because I don't know how much it is. I'm not attempting to balance the books here and give numbers.

But whatever the number from sponsorship, unless it's something crazy which the league have already said they'll block, then what we spend now will have an impact on what we can spend long term.

Too many on here are being too dismissive of the realities - We absolutely cannot "Man City" our way to the title in a few years. Those days are gone. We may have an almost unlimited amount of money but we do not have the ability to spend it. An element of caution is required or in 4 or 5 years we'll be sat here trying to work out how we can push on with no funds.

You cannot dismiss FFP just by saying "Ah, we'll get a new sponsorship deal!" as if that solves the problem. It doesn't.

Yep. I know we have some licence with money at the moment, but spending a huge wodge on 30 year old players is all depleting the pot further down the line. We can't just assume the PL will ease off the restrictions, they've been put in place specifically for us. 

Just now, Chrisjraby said:

SSN saying they want around £38 million for him. Just fucking pay it already and get on with it. 

Ana we need to just pay it, only 8 million more than.first bid. We need him in asap.