Diego Carlos

Nobody

Diego Carlos reminds of the Fernandinho deal. A relatively unkonwn player with an advanced age and a very big fee that revealed to be a top quality player. Here in Brazil nobody really knows Diego Carlos, as we didn't know Fernandinho before Man City bought him.

Edited by cranna

If we get him for that I'm not complaining too much considering all the bullshit around us. I doubt he'd go for a lot less in the summer if Spurs or the ilk bought him. Knowing our luck at the minute we'll sign him and he'll have a Woodgate like debut. 

20 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Well yes and no. I cannot "account" for it, because I don't know how much it is. I'm not attempting to balance the books here and give numbers.

But whatever the number from sponsorship, unless it's something crazy which the league have already said they'll block, then what we spend now will have an impact on what we can spend long term.

Too many on here are being too dismissive of the realities - We absolutely cannot "Man City" our way to the title in a few years. Those days are gone. We may have an almost unlimited amount of money but we do not have the ability to spend it. An element of caution is required or in 4 or 5 years we'll be sat here trying to work out how we can push on with no funds.

You cannot dismiss FFP just by saying "Ah, we'll get a new sponsorship deal!" as if that solves the problem. It doesn't.

Nobody is saying we can do a Man City straight away, and as you said you can’t equate the level of sponsorship/commercial revenue which will be incoming. I’m quite sure the consortium will know full well what the issues with FFP are and what is required to get around this. 

Edited by et tu brute

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

Sounds promising now, for first time I’ve actually started to think we are gonna get him 

Ditto

Wonder if we'll still be sat here next Monday wondering if we are gonna make a last minute bid

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I’m quite sure the consortium will know full well what the issues with FFP are and what is required to get round this.

Well yes. This is entirely my point. :lol:

The consortium doubtless DO know the issues with FFP and what, if anything, they can do to maximise (You'll never "get round" it) our spending power. But I'm not (at least to my knowledge!) talking to the consortium here.

I'm talking to (or about) the small group of people on here who are saying "Just spend whatever it takes" and complaining - however loosely - that the consortium are NOT just spending whatever it takes and seem to be haggling more than these posters think they should over transfer fees. But presumably the consortium are not spending whatever it takes for the very reason that they know all about FFP, and know that a level of caution is required lest we paint ourselves into a corner in a few years time.

So we bid 25 million, then 28 probably and then upped it to 30, got him to hand in a transfer request and now his agents are at the club piling on the pressure.

Grim Ballbag says it will take 50-60 million for them to sell.

We get him for 38.

Now if only we could have negotiated with Burnley like that!

9 minutes ago, Dokko said:

£38m has to be done then.

You'd think so wouldn't you? But every time a fee is supposedly agreed, a day later the Sevilla chairman pops up and tells us to fuck off, the price is another £30m on top. 

Edited by TRon

3 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Well yes. This is entirely my point. :lol:

The consortium doubtless DO know the issues with FFP and what, if anything, they can do to maximise (You'll never "get round" it) our spending power. But I'm not (at least to my knowledge!) talking to the consortium here.

I'm talking to (or about) the small group of people on here who are saying "Just spend whatever it takes" and complaining - however loosely - that the consortium are NOT just spending whatever it takes and seem to be haggling more than these posters think they should over transfer fees. But presumably the consortium are not spending whatever it takes for the very reason that they know all about FFP, and know that a level of caution is required lest we paint ourselves into a corner in a few years time.

We're going to end up painting ourselves into a corner whatever if their ambition it to break into the top 6. As Everton have shown, the gap is just too big to bridge staying within FFP limits. We're going to have to find a way around those limits eventually anyway.

As it stands we can spend something like £300-500m on transfer fees before we hit FFP issues. The biggest blow to our FFP position would be relegation, we need to do whatever it takes to avoid that.

17 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

So we had bid £40-50m but now they "only" want 38?

The issue is that our bid of £40-50m is probably 'only' £20m-ish up front and the rest in add-ons, which might never happen.

Edited by Jackie Broon

On 18/01/2022 at 12:12, Kid Icarus said:

I'm sure it's not like this, but if you go purely on how it's been reported, the whole Diego Carlos thing has gone like this.

NUFC: We offer you £30m for Diego Carlos
Sevilla: That's not enough, sorry. 
NUFC: Will you take €33.83m?
Sevilla: That's just the same amount but in Euros
NUFC: How about £28m?
Sevilla: We'll consider it.....no that's not enough
NUFC: We offer you £30m for Diego Carlos
Sevilla: That's not enough, sorry.
NUFC: Will you take €33.83m?

NUFC: Will you take €55m?
Sevilla: We will accept £38m

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

You'd think so wouldn't you? But every time a fee is supposedly agreed, a day later the Sevilla chairman pops up and tells us to fuck off, the price is another £30m on top. 

I think if we are around 30 and they have said 38, we just go in, no messing as it might get others tempted and of course we may piss them off if we haggle further.

Soon as he's signed we go for Botman.