Diego Carlos

Nobody

10 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

For 60m euros I'd much rather just bid that on 21 year old botman if we were going to splash that amount of cash on 1 player, at least you have the potential of getting a half decent return if it all goes pear shaped

It’s not us paying the money though it’s Our owners 

let them spend what they want 🤣

14 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

How have we handled it? Sorry Ive only read tweet updates and bitty articles to get some content out, not been aware of the details internally of how we've actually handled it. Could you explain?

Going back and forth trying to agree a fee with a club that clearly doesn’t want to sell. I too am not aware of the finer details, but am taking what is being reported and concluding we have wasted our fucking time. 

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I find it pretty hard to believe teams are constantly moving the goalposts like. It makes no sense.

Willing to give Staveley and co the benefit of the doubt here purely based on the times Sevilla have supposedly done it in the past. 

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I find it pretty hard to believe teams are constantly moving the goalposts like. It makes no sense.

Didn't they do exactly the same with Chelsea and Kounde?

That said it's far more likely journos are simply backtracking to preserve their reputation.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The target was Botman and Carlos so you would assume they'll have plan Bs for both. I'm sure we'll get at least one CB, it just might end up being a Rodon or Tarkowski type. Never mind. 

Down with this kind of measured approach to trying to understand something no one has the detail to understand. 

58 minutes ago, Nine said:

But now DC has been offered triple his wage and has had his agents negotiating with Sevilla so he can leave?

Or He can sign a New contract and play CL next season. Not bad for him when He was so close to sign almost for the same wage. 

45 minutes ago, TRon said:

So you have signed Martial and will be paying him 200k a week for the rest of the season, and now you will need to at least double Carlos's wages. Can Spanish clubs afford to run their business like this? Isn't that why many clubs in La Liga are in trouble?

DC has a contract with us for a few years more, We dont have to pay anything else if any club pay his release clause, but probarly Monchi try to improve his contract, not double, for sure. 

And yeap, We have the Best financial situation along Real and maybe Bilbao, we can pay for the Martial loan with any sale. 

Edited by Trensa

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Didn't they do exactly the same with Chelsea and Kounde?

That said it's far more likely journos are simply backtracking to preserve their reputation.

Nope, Chelsea was bidding a low offer, trying to exchange some players like Zouma but their offer never reach €45m and Sevilla was willing 60/70 for Kounde. They didnt try any move until alsmot the deadline and the player only could have gone to Chelsea paying his release clause. 

And btw, we didn't doubled his wage and He is playing like always. 

Just now, Trensa said:

Nope, Chelsea was bidding a low offer, trying to exchange some players like Zouma but their offer never reach €45m and Sevilla was willing 60/70 for Kounde. They didnt try any move until alsmot the deadline and the player only could have gone to Chelsea paying his release clause. 

And btw, we didn't doubled his wage and He is playing like always. 

There you go, cheers for the insight.

Probably the best chance to cash in on him for this kind of money with him 29 in a couple of months.

On the flipside he could be the difference between them pipping Real for the title or not. I wouldn't want to sell and distrupt their momentum either. Maybe the 5-10m depreciation selling in the summer is worth gambling on.

That said, having a pissed off player in the ranks that knows he is leaving in the summer isnt great for squad morale either.

18 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Willing to give Staveley and co the benefit of the doubt here purely based on the times Sevilla have supposedly done it in the past. 

Been away from football for years so not fully caught up tbh, is this actually something they do?

It seems massively coubter productive.

Trensa has confidently gotten everything right from the start, in spite of the media saying other things. Honestly just think SSN etc are creating a narrative.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Been away from football for years so not fully caught up tbh, is this actually something they do?

Trensa has confidently gotten everything right from the start, in spite of the media saying other things. Honestly just think SSN etc are creating a narrative.

I've missed most of the last 2 years as well, but basically just going by what Trensa said a while back about clubs going in for their players over the years and never being able to get them until Sevilla decided they wanted to sell. It could be a case of Sevilla quoting a price, standing firm and every other club playing funny buggers to try and wrangle a move at a lower price, but Sevilla are the common denominator

It seems odd that every club, including clubs with tons of wealth and clubs who've spunked countless millions elsewhere, would all be the ones who played games and were unwilling to pay what had been quoted. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

In my opinion. 

Diego Carlos is obviously better than some of our defenders, like Clark.

He is very very good in the air game. And tactically he is usually very well placed. He has very good control when it comes to playing with the ball.

But I see some problems.

First of all, Sevilla have a defensively very compact team with very generous players in defence. Diego Carlos plays alongside Koundé (who is really good) and is always supported by his winger Acuña (who is a player with a lot of energy) as well as having a pivot in front of him like Fernando (ex Man City) who is at a superb level . Also, his goalie (Bono) is having the best season of his life. Thus, it is normal for Sevilla to go up and have very few goals conceded. They play in a ball possession system. It's something that Howe is really trying to implement or improve in his first games, but we don't have a team for it yet.

Diego Carlos plays the ball well from behind, but this sometimes plays tricks on him, because he can be trusted and make mistakes.

But for me, the main problem is that he is a player who, despite being very very strong, is very slow in short movements (like Lascelles).

This makes him a very good defender in direct play, but he has more problems when it comes to defending teams that try to play more on the touch of the ball. (He is the player in all leagues who has committed the most penalties in the last 2-3 years with 10 penalties...)

The context in which he would find himself in Newcastle is very different from the one he has in Seville. Because at Sevilla, almost always, he has to go running in the open field or playing in superiority against few defenders. On the other hand ... I doubt very much what his level can be when the rivals can lock us up.

Being a player who would improve us (it's not very difficult either), he wouldn't be my first choice.

10 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I'd imagine most of them are most of the time. Until it's confirmed either way. 

29 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

The target was Botman and Carlos so you would assume they'll have plan Bs for both. I'm sure we'll get at least one CB, it just might end up being a Rodon or Tarkowski type. Never mind. 

I guess, Diego Carlos is the B plan from Botman

Both of them plays as a left center back.

Botman is left footed, so he only can play in the left side. Diego Carlos is right footed, and he played in Nantes as a right center back, but in Sevilla all the time this years he have played as a left centar back.

2 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

I guess, Diego Carlos is the B plan from Botman

Both of them plays as a left center back.

Botman is left footed, so he only can play in the left side. Diego Carlos is right footed, and he played in Nantes as a right center back, but in Sevilla all the time this years he have played as a left centar back.

By most reputable accounts the intention was to pair them but I guess we'll never know for sure unless we return for either in the summer. 

Never really felt like this one has ever been close.

They're in a good spot, Sevilla. Europa League final at their ground to aim for and sitting nicely in La Liga. We've aimed as high as we perhaps realistically can and some inexperience may be involved but I do believe we will swiftly move on to the next target and learn from this. 

I think ManDoon said it earlier, a good defensive midfielder would be preferred. 

15 minutes ago, OCK said:

If they've walked away at least it shows they're not willing to just keep throwing money whenever anyone plays hardball. 

Yeah, I think there's definitely a line to be drawn in the sand here.

Everyone knows we have a fucking load of money. If we cave easily it sets a bad precedent for the future.

Hopefully we have multiple options in every spot we're looking to strengthen lined up going towards deadline day.

There's no major rush before next Monday now IMO, we've somehow managed to produce 4 points from our two games in January which I think we all would have taken even had we made a bunch of deals on January 1st. We've basically managed to get away with not panic buying and throwing around silly money, now we just need to get quality players in over the next 6 days without getting fleeced. Should be easier to do deals as the deadline gets closer.