Newcastle United 0 - 1 Cambridge United (08/01/2022)

Yorkie

Might be a bad idea coming in this thread, if I deemed Twitter over-the-top  :lol:

I know it's unromantic but I really don't mind being out of the cup. First half, we dominated. Second half was bad. But I was already annoyed that ASM, Trippier and Joelinton were being risked in this match.

Priorities 1, 2 and 3 are survival. Half this lot won't be playing during it.

Let's get some players in :thup:

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, Slim said:

What should we have had a pen for?

First 5 mins, Longstaff was brought down in the box.

Nothing short of embarrassing from Howe and the players. They took the piss with the line-up and with the approach to the game. Maybe this serves as a wake-up call? After the good work against Man Utd and the euphoria of the window, some fuckers will come back down to earth and realise that we're still dogshit and still need to figure out how to win. 

No striker is a monumental issue. This team won't beat Watford or Leeds if they take the piss again.

It should be expected I guess but I’m already at bit bored at the high brow sneering at any misfortune to happen to us from a lot of blue tick journalists and some absolute whoppers. I don’t mind it from other fans for the most part. 

Have to be honest I had a class day but that’s because I took my little lad to his first game which was just magical.

I’m never, ever sitting anywhere other than the gallowgate though unless it’s unavoidable. We were in the Leazes end today and the amount of moaning and whinging was embarrassing. Grown men just constantly going on like toddlers because we didn’t score with every touch. 

Edited by Dr Venkman

2 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Have to be honest I had a class day but that’s because I took my little lad to his first game which was just magical.

I’m never, ever sitting anywhere other than the gallowgate though unless it’s unavoidable. We were in the Leazes end today and the amount of moaning and whinging was embarrassing. Grown men just constantly going on like toddlers because we didn’t score with every touch. 

Sadly everywhere is full of idiots for cup games.

The Strawberry Corner singing cringeworthy shite like “your support is fucking shit”. Wouldn’t happen at a league game. 

Just now, Danh1 said:

Sadly everywhere is full of idiots for cup games.

The Strawberry Corner singing cringeworthy shite like “your support is fucking shit”. Wouldn’t happen at a league game. 

Yeah that did cross my mind but I was listening to the main offenders and they were season ticket holders. I know you can just get unlucky in certain pockets of the ground. 

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

Yeah that did cross my mind but I was listening to the main offenders and they were season ticket holders. I know you can just get unlucky in certain pockets of the ground. 

Fuck sake man.

I do agree with your sentiment though, Gallowgate is best place to sit. 

1 minute ago, OCK said:

Cambridge should have had a pen. We were really poor. It's going to be tough if we don't find someone to score goals. 

I hope he's realised today that ASM as a false 9 doesn't work. 

Think we really lack confidence.

Shelvey, one of the best passers in the league, missed so many direct through balls with aggressive runners

Willock, once a very hot prospect, cant see a pass, drive forward, or anything simple

Every player is playing with so much fear

It's sad to see what Bruce has done

Edited by arnonel

Guest HTT II
12 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Same here, it was quite emotional actually, I shed a tear, but how we played ruined it for me, my first game in years, a game I could count on one hand in 14 years at home. No SD signs, a full house, my bro and eldest sat with me who doesn’t even like football and my youngest who is footy daft which is nothing to do with me, who is footy daft or was, sat with his team-mates and coaches, and most of the parents went too. Again, I was fuming towards the end. And clean the fucking roofs in the Milburn stand and the food stalls and concourses in general. Fuck me. No Covid checks either on entry for anyone in our line, the stewards inside were great though and although the atmosphere wasn’t the best, it was supportive in the main and reflective of the task in hand. It was good to be back, but like our club, I left feeling totally deflated. I’ve said even if we are successful I won’t be a regular, but like fuck would I pay to watch that shite again and again. 

Guest Biggsbond14
3 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Think we really lack confidence.

Shelvey, one of the best passers in the league, missed so many direct through balls with aggressive runners

Willock, once a very hot prospect, cant see a pass, drive forward, or anything simple

Every player is playing with so much fear

It's sad to see what Bruce has done

They shouldn’t be like that especially against Cambridge, probably a combination of things and I don’t understand the rage against him . Howe must have thought it was going to be a comfortable win with the team he put out but sadly he realises the huge problems we have everywhere on the pitch but right back 

Seen alot of people saying if we'd had a proper striker playing we'd have won this. Don't think it would've made much difference tbh. ASM, Fraser, Willock, Almiron, Shelves and Joelinton should all be more than capable of scoring against L1 opposition regardless of position they are playing in. No excuse for this. 

Final thought for today - don't let a bad 90 minutes distract from the week we've had. I excuse Trippier from any of what I'm about to say because he's new and looked very good for long periods. 

You don't live through 14 years of Mike Ashley and undo that in a few months with a full stadium and beautiful flag displays. This house is one that needs fixing up from top to bottom. The mentality has to change, the players have to change. The players we watched today are but grains of sand in the context of the club's history. We are witnessing who wants to be part of this exciting new journey and who doesn't. Every game is an audition now. Who wants to get used to a packed St James' Park cheering them across the line, and who would rather slip away with a pay off. 

Right now it's all the shit jobs we need to do. We're stripping the wallpaper, cleaning out the cupboard under the stairs. We've taken down the previous owner's tacky art work and we're starting to clean the walls in anticipation of painting. Trippier is a nice look at to what our clubs wants to do and who it wants to be, and a lot of those already here know they don't measure up. 

In the summer we all likely went to sleep each night praying for a new owner. I know I wasted a few New Years wishes on it...

We've got that, and we've seen a taste of what they aim to do with us. This lot today might have seen the penny drop or they might continue to embarrass us, but the clock is ticking down on this era and that's enough to keep me happy.

1 minute ago, Thiago said:

Final thought for today - don't let a bad 90 minutes distract from the week we've had. I excuse Trippier from any of what I'm about to say because he's new and looked very good for long periods. 

You don't live through 14 years of Mike Ashley and undo that in a few months with a full stadium and beautiful flag displays. This house is one that needs fixing up from top to bottom. The mentality has to change, the players have to change. The players we watched today are but grains of sand in the context of the club's history. We are witnessing who wants to be part of this exciting new journey and who doesn't. Every game is an audition now. Who wants to get used to a packed St James' Park cheering them across the line, and who would rather slip away with a pay off. 

Right now it's all the shit jobs we need to do. We're stripping the wallpaper, cleaning out the cupboard under the stairs. We've taken down the previous owner's tacky art work and we're starting to clean the walls in anticipation of painting. Trippier is a nice look at to what our clubs wants to do and who it wants to be, and a lot of those already here know they don't measure up. 

In the summer we all likely went to sleep each night praying for a new owner. I know I wasted a few New Years wishes on it...

We've got that, and we've seen a taste of what they aim to do with us. This lot today might have seen the penny drop or they might continue to embarrass us, but the clock is ticking down on this era and that's enough to keep me happy.

Fucking yes

3 minutes ago, Thiago said:

well said

Awful day and if stings a bit more because it’s the first cup game in years where we can’t blame the owner, apathy towards cup or any other non-footballing matter. We played more or less our strongest team and lost to a league one side. We made enough chances to progress but some bad luck/poor finishing has cost us.

Dubravka - had little to do but looked weak on the goal. Would need to see it back

Trippier - Does everything with a conviction and a few intelligent passes. Got wound up in the last 10 and played into their hands. Tried to stop some of the wasters going down the tunnel without thanking the fans. Captain material

Ritchie - His time is up. Will always be targeted if he’s at left back

Schar - Fine really, haven’t picked the bones out of the goal but nothing obviously his fault

Krafth - Just a very average footballer

Shelvey - Spreads the ball about all day under little pressure. That’s his job but it’s nothing Schar couldn’t do imo

Longstaff - Hopeless. Heavy touches, bad finishing

Fraser - Did nothing of note all game

Joelinton - Looked good against Man Utd winning the ball back and driving us on but none of that today. Never looked likely to create anything when it’s not a counter attack

Murphy - Seemed our most likely scorer (and had one disallowed) so was surprised he was subbed. Obviously not great but better than others who stayed on

ASM - Lost interest as the game went on, too many touches as is becoming usual. Still our most likely outlet but poor today.

Subs:

Almiron - Horrendous. We need to stop putting him on the right wing

Willock - Absolutely hopeless. No idea what he’s doing.

Manquillo - Why not put Anderson on and move Fraser to full back? 

Howe - Went big today hoping for confidence and it’s had the opposite effect. I felt we had made progress against Man Utd but this was a step back.

Cambridge fans were good to be fair, huge turnout and I’m sure a great night ahead. Their keeper made some top saves but 9 shots on target from 23 says a lot. Hats off to Almiron, Schar and Willock for some truly horrendous shots in added time