Newcastle United 0 - 1 Cambridge United (08/01/2022)

Yorkie

Well back after what can only be described as an amazing weekend.

Loved the place and the people. Got to the ground early, very impressive and had a few in 'Nine's'. Everyone so friendly and welcoming.

First of all quite a climb up those stairs but well worth it. We have such a small squad (or annual wage bill is something like £1.3m) with five out injured/suspended we could only name three senior professionals on the bench. The other four were kids who have never played a competitive first team game.

As for the game I was expecting a 4-1 defeat, as the majority of us would. I don't watch PL football much so it is hard to say how you guys played but my thoughts,

Premier League football is less physical then the lower leagues. For instance with the goal, your keeper, rolled around injured when he was hardly touched.

You passed the ball well and the difference in quality was easy to see. However, we are a hard working, body on the line team in every game we play. If you had a forward you would have beat us easily. The one up top (Saint-Maximan) has quality but he was trying too much and tackling himself at times. Trippier looked quality and his delivery was class. That said we defended deep in numbers and you seemed to run of ideas or the final ball lacked quality. The amount of times you had a good passage of play and the final ball went straight out.

Ironside up top for us will always give 100% and put himself about and took his goal well. 

Hate VAR. After we scored, the offside wait was too long and no idea who was offside. Watching it today the rule seems crazy to me. 

We celebrated for a good 30 mins after the game as apart from Wes that would be the biggest game our players would have played in and soaked up every minute. Didn't know if you could hear us throughout but thought we made a decent noise.

As I said absolutely loved the place and really hope you get the team your fans deserve.

Back to our priority next week and trying to stay in league one and back to there being about 500 of us away at Lincoln. Still a club like us need whatever fans we can get.

Thanks for being so welcoming and all the best for the season

Just remembered the part in the match when we broke away on the counter and one of their players jumped on the ball , to stop us attacking 

not even a card !

I though deliberately handling the ball was a straight red 

he literally jumped on it like a rugby ball and stopped us on the counter.

anyone see this ?!?

Edited by JonBez comesock

8 minutes ago, delboy23 said:

Loved the place and the people. Got to the ground early, very impressive and had a few in 'Nine's'. Everyone so friendly and welcoming.

First of all quite a climb up those stairs but well worth it. We have such a small squad (or annual wage bill is something like £1.3m) with five out injured/suspended we could only name three senior professionals on the bench. The other four were kids who have never played a competitive first team game.

As for the game I was expecting a 4-1 defeat, as the majority of us would. I don't watch PL football much so it is hard to say how you guys played but my thoughts,

Premier League football is less physical then the lower leagues. For instance with the goal, your keeper, rolled around injured when he was hardly touched.

You passed the ball well and the difference in quality was easy to see. However, we are a hard working, body on the line team in every game we play. If you had a forward you would have beat us easily. The one up top (Saint-Maximan) has quality but he was trying too much and tackling himself at times. Trippier looked quality and his delivery was class. That said we defended deep in numbers and you seemed to run of ideas or the final ball lacked quality. The amount of times you had a good passage of play and the final ball went straight out.

Ironside up top for us will always give 100% and put himself about and took his goal well. 

Hate VAR. After we scored, the offside wait was too long and no idea who was offside. Watching it today the rule seems crazy to me. 

We celebrated for a good 30 mins after the game as apart from Wes that would be the biggest game our players would have played in and soaked up every minute. Didn't know if you could hear us throughout but thought we made a decent noise.

As I said absolutely loved the place and really hope you get the team your fans deserve.

Back to our priority next week and trying to stay in league one and back to there being about 500 of us away at Lincoln. Still a club like us need whatever fans we can get.

Congrats on your win - as pissed off as I am, I take nothing away from Cambridge United and your fans. 

Shame you didn’t get the greatest of ties next, but I’m sure you have a great chance against them to then get a good tie in round 5.

11 minutes ago, delboy23 said:

Thanks for taking the time to post. Glad you enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, delboy23 said:

Glad you enjoyed your day. My son and I were sitting right below you lot and we heard you all the way through. He asked me if we could go and sit with you lot :lol:

• 5 weeks later...