More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, peder said:

Nope, I am just saying it can be fast to sign players in January if we go all in.

You're oversimplifying something that is far more complicated than that. We've likely been negotiating with these players since before the transfer window opened and maybe even got agreements in principle but then when the window opens you have to start negotiating with the club, and they don't want to lose their best players.

You'll also have situations where we've talked to agents and they'll say 'my client likes the project but isn't keen on a relegation battle so we'll wait to see what other offers come in and get back to you'. That takes you into week 2/3 of the window.

Teams will want replacements agreed before they sign off on transfers etc.

There are so many factors you're not considering when you say 'just hoy money at it'. It just doesn't work like that.

From my perspective it's OK getting a bit twitchy in regards to our dealings. It's understandable due to how blunt we looked the last game and due to our league position.
But we as fans literally have no idea how fast the consortium's been moving or how many targets they are actively pursuing. I will give them the benefit of doubt as for now, it seems pretty clear to me that they are trying their absolute best in a pretty crappy situation. It would be nice to have a couple of more additions in this week before Watford but aside from a centre forward none of them would make much difference due to not having time with the rest of the team preparing. It would defintely give both the squad and supporters a boost though.

As for the Watford game, that'll be a different kind of challenge as apposed to the Cambridge game. They will take the game more to us and that might well suit us better.

In a dream world we would get a couple in this week, a couple next and then see what's on the table for the last week of the window. The important thing is to get the right players in to be able to start clearing out some of the dross.

I'm hoping that there's talks ongoing with players that we have yet to hear about. I know it's unlikely as the selling club do tend to want the press/other clubs to know about it but after the amount of rumours in November/December it feels we just keep hearing about the same 3 or 4 potential signings.

Just now, Mazzy said:

I'm hoping that there's talks ongoing with players that we have yet to hear about. I know it's unlikely as the selling club do tend to want the press/other clubs to know about it but after the amount of rumours in November/December it feels we just keep hearing about the same 3 or 4 potential signings.

There almost certainly will be. The media only hear what they're fed by agents and the respective clubs.

1 hour ago, MarkyMark said:

Being shit and second bottom doesn’t help - but the wages do seem to be a massive problem.  Caulkin has hinted at this; Hope said it directly on Twitter the other day.  They both appear to have a direct line to Staveley.  We’re not going to break the bank on wages - the current structure remains for this window.

Would be happy for this not to be the case - and the idea of this rotten lot getting pissed off because a decent professional is paid more is laughable. 

edit: here ye gan

https://mobile.twitter.com/CraigHope_DM/status/1479497674902618115

Well Howe wants to fuck right of as his fucking harmony is not getting results on the pitch. Totally the wrong choice as manager.

1 minute ago, clintdempsey said:

From my perspective it's OK getting a bit twitchy in regards to our dealings. It's understandable due to how blunt we looked the last game and due to our league position.
But we as fans literally have no idea how fast the consortium's been moving or how many targets they are actively pursuing. I will give them the benefit of doubt as for now, it seems pretty clear to me that they are trying their absolute best in a pretty crappy situation. It would be nice to have a couple of more additions in this week before Watford but aside from a centre forward none of them would make much difference due to not having time with the rest of the team preparing. It would defintely give both the squad and supporters a boost though.

As for the Watford game, that'll be a different kind of challenge as apposed to the Cambridge game. They will take the game more to us and that might well suit us better.

In a dream world we would get a couple in this week, a couple next and then see what's on the table for the last week of the window. The important thing is to get the right players in to be able to start clearing out some of the dross.

:thup: It's completely acceptable to have concerns and people shouldn't be shot down for voicing them tbh.

Patience is important but if we don't have a striker in by the end of this week we'll be in a pretty bleak position for the Watford game. January window is notoriously difficult but we need to buck the trend and start getting things done this week.

Money talks and in theory we have a lot of it, it's time to start showing it. 

People need to remember we are in the shittiest bargaining position ever.  Desperate and cash rich, selling clubs aren't looking to do us a favour, they have their own problems and want as much money as possible. 

Of course we are getting fucked about, we would do the same, we need some perspective and context, it's the 10th of January and we are 3 points from being out of the bottom 3 

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If they’ve got £17m in the bank they could easily improve their attack on Wood, even if it’s a loan deal.

If £17m "easily" gets you someone better than Wood, why would we buy Wood for £17m?

6 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

Richest owners in football, not the richest club - it is an important distinction - we still don't have any proof that they're going to chuck stupid money at NUFC.  Trippier didn't exactly break the bank - 90k per week, 12m fee - it was a signing that could have been made under Ashley's financial structure.  That's not to say that Trippier would have signed for Ashley's NUFC, of course -  he wouldn't have.  Though Howe was favourite to replace Bruce when Ashley was here - what does that tell us about the short-term expectations that he was their first appointment?  It suggests 'sensible' levels of investment to me.  This isn't Man City Mk II.

They're clearly looking at players who would improve the side - and Wood and Cantwell are better than what we have.  We've had enough notice that they're not going to break the wage structure - for now.  So that leaves PL lesser lights and young European footballers for the most part.  Digne would have broken the bank - so they were never going to sign him, despite the links.

I still think anyone expecting to see big names coming through the door is borderline crackers.  TF laughably published an article on Vlahovic signing this month.  Why waste anyone's time with that shite?  Someone like Wood - if Burnley sell (massive question mark there) would do.  We're 19th with less than half the season to go - that's a hard sell.  Bring in players who are better than we have at the moment, and who in the longer term are liable to become squad players should we progress.

That being said, of course Wood and Cantwell don't exactly get the pulse racing.  But this side is abysmal - it needs drastic work.  Improve it, stay up - and then let's see what happens in the summer.  If we stay up this year, and the summer doesn't provide 'name' or marquee players, then we've got our answer on what the plan is irrespective of any PR from the club.

Yeah worded wrong, richest owners. 👍🏻

I hear your points, but I can't help but think buying from relegation rivals, (and equally relegation rivals have come out saying they wouldn't sell, Burnley, Tarkowski, or Wood) doesn't improve us, Wood isn't better than Wilson, and Cantwell the lad has or will have seen two promotions two relegations if he sticks with Norwich or even us, will likely make it two.

I'm not convinced. I get your take, but, personally dont think these players help.

I do think though, that the loan market helps us, but only if we target a top tier player who are currently not playing or not needed perhaps, for example Pulisic/Ziyech/Donny, even although I'm not a fan Lingard.

I think that's our get out of jail card loans, and before I hear none of them are coming here, they're just examples of what I think the idea should be, the pool of top players available on loan will be huge, the amount of top sides paying huge wages on players sat not playing will be huge, but equally on the points you make above, are we really in a position to pay someone 200+k a week, plus even a loan fee to the club? Maybe, maybe not, I'd say they should if it's a target that will pull us away from three or four worse than us.

Let's see,

I'm actually tired of all this now, loved it when the window opened, but its actually draining, and far too many opinions flying about, I get everyone's anxiety because of our league position, but there's a good amount of bitching going on, it's supposed to be good times again now Ashley has gone.

All the best 👍🏻

35 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Well Howe wants to fuck right of as his fucking harmony is not getting results on the pitch. Totally the wrong choice as manager.

Give your head a shake lad.

rant from another forum, but I think he makes an excellent case:

'all of the below are FREE in June/July. ****ing FREE. Now some clubs might be able to just hold out as they don't need the cash, like Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Juve. But a LOT of these clubs cannot afford to let £20m just disappear for the sake of 5 months. So how on ****ing earth haven't we signed like 8 players for about £120m and offloaded some of our utter **** for around £20m?

CB - Ginter, Tarkowski, Felipe, Romagnoli, Denayer, Zagadou, Christensen. Not one of these would cost more than £20m now.
MF - Brozovic, Kessie, Zakaria, Grillitsch, Isco, Kamara. The first two might be slightly more, but the rest? Well under £20m. Four of these are DM's.
FW - Dybala, Lacazette, Dembele, Belotti, Aznoun, Brereton Diaz, Origi. Yeah, we're not getting Dybala and Lacazette's not likely. But the rest? They're not pricey. Get two or three just to have options.

Or the alternative is try to survive with Clark, Lascelles, Ritchie, Shelvey, Hayden and Longstaff. I mean, I've seen some ****ing no-brainers in my time, but this takes the piss. And this is just the out-of-contract players - haven't our scouts supposedly been working this past 2 or 3 years on finding other players??'

I don't get the impression that we're particularly close on any targets, given every time Trippier farted there was a new update via the media. Hopefully things get moving going into Watford, or we're going to have an anxious crowd and the same misfiring team. Striker absolutely essential. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

I don't get the impression that we're particularly close on any targets, given every time Trippier farted there was a new update via the media. Hopefully things get moving going into Watford, or we're going to have an anxious crowd and the same misfiring team. Striker absolutely essential. 

There must be a striker we can bring in on loan who is half decent.  Fuck it ,Costa is ona  free give him 200k a week till the end of the season.

It's hard to know whether we are in for these players or it's just agent/journo BS.

Take Digne for example, we might have enquired and been told he's not personally interested and that was that, but it gets picked up and blown out of proportion. 

We probably didn't even have had the opportunity to "sell the project" face to face to him so blaming the club isn't necessarily fair. Suspect this is the case for a lot of players based on the current situation.

2 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

'all of the below are FREE in June/July. ****ing FREE. Now some clubs might be able to just hold out as they don't need the cash, like Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Juve. But a LOT of these clubs cannot afford to let £20m just disappear for the sake of 5 months. So how on ****ing earth haven't we signed like 8 players for about £120m and offloaded some of our utter **** for around £20m?

CB - Ginter, Tarkowski, Felipe, Romagnoli, Denayer, Zagadou, Christensen. Not one of these would cost more than £20m now.
MF - Brozovic, Kessie, Zakaria, Grillitsch, Isco, Kamara. The first two might be slightly more, but the rest? Well under £20m. Four of these are DM's.
FW - Dybala, Lacazette, Dembele, Belotti, Aznoun, Brereton Diaz, Origi. Yeah, we're not getting Dybala and Lacazette's not likely. But the rest? They're not pricey. Get two or three just to have options.

Or the alternative is try to survive with Clark, Lascelles, Ritchie, Shelvey, Hayden and Longstaff. I mean, I've seen some ****ing no-brainers in my time, but this takes the piss. And this is just the out-of-contract players - haven't our scouts supposedly been working this past 2 or 3 years on finding other players??'

They'll know the pool of players available, if this guy knows, they all know, data experts, scouts, etc,

It's working with the agents and convincing that is the challenging parts.

3 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

If it is true that we're missing out on players like Courtiho (who probably keeps us up by himself) and Digne because they're out of our wage structure then it would be absurd if we were considering paying £17m for Chris Wood.

£17m for Chris Wood? He's 33 ffs, I would barely think he's worth £7m. Not like he's banging them in either, for all we know he could be going downhill already. 

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

There must be a striker we can bring in on loan who is half decent.  Fuck it ,Costa is ona  free give him 200k a week till the end of the season.

Costa isn’t even half decent these days though. Hence being released. And apparently we won’t be going anywhere near 200k a week.  

4 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

It's not an excellent point really, the clubs might try and get rid for a fee but if the players wait until the summer they get a huge sign-on bonus instead so a lot of them will be happy to wait until then regardless of the clubs position.

Plus the players may have no interest in joining us in our current position. 

Let's be honest, we have no idea how far along deals are. The only concrete links seem to be Digne, Carlos and Botman.

I hope we have one, ideally two in by the end of the week. I think we'll beat Watford regardless, it's more about getting them bedded in as soon as possible.