More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, Paullow said:

It does just seem a case of quantity and bodies in over anything that's going to significantly improve us. I know we joke about Choudhury on loan, but there were a couple of Ashley January windows where the boat was pushed out when things were looking hideous, and you'd kind of think it was pre takeover. It's clearly proving fairly hard to bring quality in (Trippier did want to come back home, and had worked with Howe, so that went in our favour), but I was kind of hoping for better than this, it kind of does feel like preparing for next year, rather than desperately trying to save our skin.

We are only heading into the 10th day out of 31 for this window tbf. If you were saying this on the 23rd January, maybe. But although its hard to talk about owt else, 'links' are really just paper bollocks. Ones where there tends to be so much smoke for no fire a la Botman are the exception. Wood has only been linked by Edwards from what I've seen. Cantwell has come from SSN? I don't even know. I imagine we'll see reports of bids being accepted for players we'd never even imagined due to lack of paper links in the coming days.

22 minutes ago, McDog said:

Not sure I'd lay it out that way. Bids in for some class center backs. Strikers we'll have to see I guess.

We've certainly been linked with a lot of quality players this week or so, and hopefully some of those will materialise, but these two have definitely been a notable downgrade, even if more realistic, and you certainly wouldn't think we'd just had a big takeover if they came through, but if they were joined by a couple more better additions, along with Trippier, then that would be very good, but hopefully not a sign of where the recruitment is headed.

Still early days though.

4 minutes ago, Paullow said:

We've certainly been linked with a lot of quality players this week or so, and hopefully some of those will materialise, but these two have definitely been a notable downgrade, even if more realistic, and you certainly wouldn't think we'd just had a big takeover if they came through, but if they were joined by a couple more better additions, along with Trippier, then that would be very good, but hopefully not a sign of where the recruitment is headed.

Still early days though.

Downgrade though? Wilson is likely out most of the season so downgrade from Gayle?

1 hour ago, toon25 said:

Villa have pulled off two massive coups in Coutinho and, seemingly, Digne in under a week.

I'd like to think Amanda could pull something out of the hat in 3 weeks.

The chances of beating Aston Villa in February have actually diminished lately, fair to say I wasn't banking on that

30 minutes ago, huss9 said:

we dont sign a striker this week, then we dont beat watford.

I'd add a CD, LB to that - Dennis and King are going to rip us to shreds. 

Edited by duo

43 minutes ago, huss9 said:

we dont sign a capable striker this week, then we dont beat watford.

New round of names.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10385101/Newcastle-PSV-midfielder-Sangare-hold-talks-Monaco-Badiashile.html

DM: Ibrahim Sangare of PSV

Striker: Hugo Ekitike of Reims 

Doubt Badiashile is still an option after his injury today. Reportedly a muscular injury. Was carried off with two people carrying and looked in a bad way. 

Edited by toontownman

3 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Richest club in football looking at Cantwell and Wood? Just cant see it at this stage, maybe if we were scraping around on deadline day.

Richest owners in football, not the richest club - it is an important distinction - we still don't have any proof that they're going to chuck stupid money at NUFC.  Trippier didn't exactly break the bank - 90k per week, 12m fee - it was a signing that could have been made under Ashley's financial structure.  That's not to say that Trippier would have signed for Ashley's NUFC, of course -  he wouldn't have.  Though Howe was favourite to replace Bruce when Ashley was here - what does that tell us about the short-term expectations that he was their first appointment?  It suggests 'sensible' levels of investment to me.  This isn't Man City Mk II.

They're clearly looking at players who would improve the side - and Wood and Cantwell are better than what we have.  We've had enough notice that they're not going to break the wage structure - for now.  So that leaves PL lesser lights and young European footballers for the most part.  Digne would have broken the bank - so they were never going to sign him, despite the links.

I still think anyone expecting to see big names coming through the door is borderline crackers.  TF laughably published an article on Vlahovic signing this month.  Why waste anyone's time with that shite?  Someone like Wood - if Burnley sell (massive question mark there) would do.  We're 19th with less than half the season to go - that's a hard sell.  Bring in players who are better than we have at the moment, and who in the longer term are liable to become squad players should we progress.

That being said, of course Wood and Cantwell don't exactly get the pulse racing.  But this side is abysmal - it needs drastic work.  Improve it, stay up - and then let's see what happens in the summer.  If we stay up this year, and the summer doesn't provide 'name' or marquee players, then we've got our answer on what the plan is irrespective of any PR from the club.

Edited by MarkyMark

Think Cantwells and Woods keep us in the orbit of relegation regardless of who the manager is.

They're an improvement on what we have but could make a case for their needing to be replaced themselves if were thinking about next level - midtable.

Think were going to need a lot better than that to stay up and prefer to think of Wood as an unforeseen move due to Wilson's injury.

Alls were going off really on the richest club/richest owners distinction is comments made by a number of people involved in the ownership that maybe pre-dated the sponsorship blocking so nobody really knows where we stand.

Edited by Wolfcastle

48 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Richest owners in football, not the richest club - it is an important distinction - we still don't have any proof that they're going to chuck stupid money at NUFC.  Trippier didn't exactly break the bank - 90k per week, 12m fee - it was a signing that could have been made under Ashley's financial structure.  That's not to say that Trippier would have signed for Ashley's NUFC, of course -  he wouldn't have.  Though Howe was favourite to replace Bruce when Ashley was here - what does that tell us about the short-term expectations that he was their first appointment?  It suggests 'sensible' levels of investment to me.  This isn't Man City Mk II.

They're clearly looking at players who would improve the side - and Wood and Cantwell are better than what we have.  We've had enough notice that they're not going to break the wage structure - for now.  So that leaves PL lesser lights and young European footballers for the most part.  Digne would have broken the bank - so they were never going to sign him, despite the links.

I still think anyone expecting to see big names coming through the door is borderline crackers.  TF laughably published an article on Vlahovic signing this month.  Why waste anyone's time with that shite?  Someone like Wood - if Burnley sell (massive question mark there) would do.  We're 19th with less than half the season to go - that's a hard sell.  Bring in players who are better than we have at the moment, and who in the longer term are liable to become squad players should we progress.

That being said, of course Wood and Cantwell don't exactly get the pulse racing.  But this side is abysmal - it needs drastic work.  Improve it, stay up - and then let's see what happens in the summer.  If we stay up this year, and the summer doesn't provide 'name' or marquee players, then we've got our answer on what the plan is irrespective of any PR from the club.

So why did Amanda Staveley say on day 1 of the takeover that their aim is to win the league within five - ten year, you don’t do that unless you spend stupid money and you certainly don’t do that by signing the likes of Wood and Cantwell. Or was Staveley just talking total shit? She did say those exact words though.

Edited by et tu brute

Really hope we get a move on in the striker search. We need one who can instantly hit the ground running and put away any chances we create against Watford. It'd be fucking frustrating again if we create opportunities but don't have someone to stick it in. 

Watching ASM on Saturday was so frustraing. Murphy is more direct. He loves a shot at goal. But either he gets a shot away and it goes in/on target/off the post or it'd be one of his stinking decisions like in the last minute against Watford in the reverse fixture.

27 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

So why did Amanda Staveley say on day 1 of the takeover that their aim is to win the league within five - ten year, you don’t do that unless you spend stupid money and you certainly don’t do that by signing the likes of Wood and Cantwell. Or was Staveley just talking total shit? She did say those exact words though.

I take your point, but she was also quoted as saying that they would invest 50m per window above what the club could bring in over five transfer windows - which isn't buttons, but it isn't 'stupid' money either, in a football context.

I actually don't think she was talking shit - because she did say that it would take time.  Can't be arsed to pull out all quotes, but Caulkin's article / interview from October sums it up pretty well:

https://theathletic.com/2875873/2021/10/08/amanda-staveley-interview-why-do-keegan-and-shearer-get-so-little-recognition-from-our-club/  

Caulkin isn't using a direct quote here - but I doubt he'd write it without anything support for it: 'There will be money to spend on players in the January transfer window and again next summer, but it will be measured.'  Sensible spending to secure PL position is how I read that.  A couple of years of that word Keegan hated; 'consolidation'.

Short-term is sensible spending, no superstars, rebuild the club from the bottom-up.  Eventually, with the club running under its own steam, look to try to win the title.  Of course, I'm under no illusions that in the summer there would have been new sponsors lined up, from KSA-based companies linked either to the PIF or to the Saudi govt (which in a state like KSA is basically every single one).

I'd argue that Wood is better than Gayle and Cantwell is better than any of our current attacking midfielders.  Which is a sure-fire proof of how shite we are, but they're better nonetheless.  You never know, we might still get a 'name' on loan before the end of the window.  I don't give a toss about that tbf - generally speaking, a transfer policy works well if you buy in better players than the ones you have, and the replacements aren't wankers off the pitch.  I worry that the second part of that sentence is not applicable to Cantwell ...

I'm quietly confident we have a big money or big stature striker lined up. 

We needed a striker before Wilson's injury. I just can't see them targeting and allegedly bidding for three of the best young CB's in Europe, bringing in a player of Trippiers level and now switching to an at best,  average PL striker on the downside and out of the team. 

Woods not the end of the world as a Gayle replacement, not convinced the link is rubbish though. I think we will bring someone else is in at a bigger ceiling either way. Keep the faith.

Just my take on it, but I don't think a big name centre forward needs to be a priority - a couple of decent ones would do.

The back line is the root cause of all of our problems.  It is abysmal.  Trippier is a fantastic start on that front - leaps ahead of our other right back options.  I love that we're going for the likes of Botman and Carlos; a young, classy, tall highly regarded centre back and a fast, strong lunatic (though a pretty talented lunatic) is spot-on for me.  That's my kind of thinking for central defensive pairings.  A new left back is required, but I'd be happy for a loanee for now - I think Lewis could develop and when he returns to fitness could take his place back though in the summer we'll still need a permanent new LB with Lewis as an understudy.

And of course we need a decent holding midfielder - though this can wait until later in the window if necessary.

If we got someone like Wood permanently, and someone like a Martial on loan until May, I'd be happy with that.  Not saying we'll get either; but players of that ilk would do.  While it doesn't arse me what the club spends, I'm assuming that the last thing Staveley et al will want will be a load of average players on vastly inflated deals two years from now that we can't get rid of - the Trippier fee and salary was impressive, and laid down a marker I think.  We're being sensible for now - no pisstakers, thanks.

I think they have been trying to sign a big name ST but finding it difficult for teams to sell or players wanting to come here at this time, they will know how important it is to get one within the next couple of days so may have to get the best they can within the time frame. Most players and agents waiting for a big money move will wait till nearer the end of January to see who offers the most cash and best opportunity before committing. Its not easy but just have to wait. Its just unfortunate we need them ASAP in the position we are in and by the time it hots up we maybe to far adrift to get players thinking of coming. 

Edited by HWTL

8 hours ago, Ashley17 said:

All the puns aside, Chris Wood is exactly what we need (assuming there’s little chance of getting an absolute superstar)

He would be a great focal point, knows the league, is tremendously consistent (double figures for the past 4 seasons), weakens a rival and could play alongside Wilson as well as on his own. He can leave in a year, longevity is not our concern right now.

If they’ve got £17m in the bank they could easily improve their attack on Wood, even if it’s a loan deal.

13 minutes ago, HWTL said:

17 million seems a huge amount for him

I think the fee is about right, but I’m always conscious of other fans’ views on their own players and if a side like Burnley aren’t arsed about him leaving (and only 3 goals all season) then it’s a bit worrying. Sod’s law we sign him and he does nowt, then Burnley bring in a striker who gets the 6 or so goals to keep them up.

I'm getting a bit desperate now for new players, Wood would do in our current predicament however I'm a bit concerned that he was pretty anonymous against our defence the other week