More transfer rumours

midds

At this rate, let's just have PIF buy Bournemouth and do a straight swop of both our first teams:lol:. It has the Howe connection, top of the Champo, and honestly might be cheaper than the sum total of players that we're being quoted by clubs so far.

Just now, Zero said:

Then sign someone else, even some who is better than Clark would do it. 

buffer man, we need buffer. 

Maybe they don't want to just settle for "better than Clark", maybe they feel waiting a few weeks and getting a much better calibre of player is worth

It seems risky but perhaps that's the approach they are going with

So you guys do think that we are doing fine this window and it’s acceptable and reasonable that we can only bring in Trippier, hoping for an unproven striker to save our ass. Fine. I will pray for the club then.

1 minute ago, Zero said:

So you guys do think that we are doing fine this window and it’s acceptable and reasonable that we can only bring in Trippier, hoping for an unproven striker to save our ass. Fine. I will pray for the club then.

No-one said that. Straw man argument.

Just now, Zero said:

:lol:

I'm pretty sure the vast majority, including myself, will be disappointed if we don't have at least one more in for Watford.

At the same time there's a reason bigger clubs try not to do business in January. It's a sellers market and an absolute minefield to deal in. Just because we're not where we want to be it doesn't necessarily mean its down to a lack of preparation and effort from the owners.

You can be disappointed, without making wild assumptions about what has and hasn't happened behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, Zero said:

Hot take.

Me personally, I would've loved 3/4 in on the first day. But deep down I knew it was going to be fucking torture given our state, our new found wealth and the general dislike for us from all and sundry.

Wilson getting Injured(although this position should've always been reinforced this month) has really been a spanner in the works.

3 minutes ago, Zero said:

It’s difficult I’m sure they expected a couple more players in but it’s January no club wants to weaken their squad half way in to a season and every one knows newcastle are theoretically rich now so clubs will take the piss. None of it is a good mix. It’s slightly concerning but only because we have very very important games coming up and we look utterly shambolic 

One of the good things about Carr is he had great contacts within clubs and knew before we made bids if a club was a willing seller or not or if players had certain clauses we could trigger to engineer a move. I do hope we aren’t just looking at all these players thinking money alone will work, it’s much more complicated. We drastically need to improve our relations with lots of clubs and sadly that’s mostly through agents. 

I’m sure the owners won’t be looking at it based on the Watford game either. For example maybe they could get a player in for Saturday that isn’t first choice, however they will be patient and try and get the number 1 target in, even if it means waiting till the end of the window.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

One of the good things about Carr is he had great contacts within clubs and knew before we made bids if a club was a willing seller or not or if players had certain clauses we could trigger to engineer a move. I do hope we aren’t just looking at all these players thinking money alone will work, it’s much more complicated. We drastically need to improve our relations with lots of clubs and sadly that’s mostly through agents. 

You'd think getting a well seasoned DoF through the door will go a long way towards this.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Thing is, money alone probably would work for a lot of these clubs, it appears we aren't just throwing it at them.

I agree with that stance, but we obviously don't have the current infrastructure you're talking about and we are basically going in dry, and seemingly getting a good bumming in the press at least [emoji38]

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m sure the owners won’t be looking at it based on the Watford game either. For example maybe they could get a player in for Saturday that isn’t first choice, however they will be patient and try and get the number 1 target in, even if it means waiting till the end of the window.

Maybe, but it's a massive risk. Lose against them and it will be next to impossible to get proper quality in. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

That's only sensible tbh, we could buy strikers who are available now, only to find they are no more effective than what we've already got. I know it sounds insane, but we could bring in this Azmoun guy, and he might turn out to be worse than Gayle or ASM up front. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

You'd think getting a well seasoned DoF through the door will go a long way towards this.

That would help, but it’s the scouts/recruiters who have the real contacts with agents and that’s where it usually starts and ends with. Carr was like a black book of contacts on his own in that regard, I’d reappoint him if I were the club. 

2 minutes ago, NE27 said:

Thing is, money alone probably would work for a lot of these clubs, it appears we aren't just throwing it at them.

I agree with that stance, but we obviously don't have the current infrastructure you're talking about and we are basically going in dry, and seemingly getting a good bumming in the press at least [emoji38]

I think we are willing to spend big money, but not just any old money to throw at anyone and that’s sensible, but we also need to play the game and we are being played too. Money usually does talk in the end, but we are not in this strong position even over French clubs with a need to sell/recoup/bring in money.