More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, Jackie Broon said:

Wasn't it strongly rumoured that McClaren was appointed on Carr's advice?

It was more a case of Carr mentioning him amongst many others to Lee Charnley, Mike Ashley didn't want him but Charnley went out on a limb to get him for some reason.

24 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

You don’t think getting Cabaye/Ben Arfa/Remy/Debuchy/Tiote/Krul was good business? What about the players he wanted that we didn’t get? All at big clubs? Of course that’s how he had to sell it to them then, why would that be the same under these owners? 

That’s complete speculation about the agents and even so , that’s called cultivating relationships. Haven’t really scouted well since he left, have we?

I swear some people think that we can just hit every transfer and get a 100 percent success rate. No one ever does that 

You could add Toney and Mbabu on to that. Though Krul was a Souness signing.

That’s just the players we managed to bring in. Obviously as mentioned we were in for the likes of Varane and Coman but we’re never going to compete against Real and Juve. Apparently we were after Maddison too but the club decided against it.

Just now, ManDoon said:

“As for the ones who got away, Graham Carr lists some of the real stars of the future that were ignored when he recommended them: ‘If the club were honest and went through the records… Hakim Ziyech, Wilfred Ndidi, James Maddison. I saw Raphael Varane play for Lens when he was 17 and I called Derek Llambias (managing director) that night. You get excited when you spot one. Mike and I went to Saint-Etienne to watch (Pierre-Emerick) Aubameyang. Mike just said, ‘Who am I watching?’ You recommend them, but then you just don’t know what happens sometimes.’

Don’t know what happens, you know exactly what happens Graham :lol:

33 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

You don’t think getting Cabaye/Ben Arfa/Remy/Debuchy/Tiote/Krul was good business? What about the players he wanted that we didn’t get? All at big clubs? Of course that’s how he had to sell it to them then, why would that be the same under these owners? 

That’s complete speculation about the agents and even so , that’s called cultivating relationships. Haven’t really scouted well since he left, have we?

I swear some people think that we can just hit every transfer and get a 100 percent success rate. No one ever does that 

Thing is its moved on loads since then, it's not as much about flying here there and everywhere, sitting at matches and compiling a list, it's all data sharing, having the best networking set up and contacts in the game, including agents, Carr scouted Tiote for 4 years, yes 4 years, it's not happening now that, will take too long, because demand is wanted yesterday. 

23 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yea that was a black mark against him but like Roc said he’s a scout not an advisor. Just remember we were told about Varane far before he got picked up.

He’s as close to the best as you can get imo if you factor in context/financial restrictions. Prime Cabaye was one of the best midfielders in the league and we paid like 4m for him.

Carr had his good moments, but clearly wasn't whiter than white given his Ashley association.

Cabaye was probably the best move he ever made, and we probably could have got another 10M if JFK wasn't involved

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

“As for the ones who got away, Graham Carr lists some of the real stars of the future that were ignored when he recommended them: ‘If the club were honest and went through the records… Hakim Ziyech, Wilfred Ndidi, James Maddison. I saw Raphael Varane play for Lens when he was 17 and I called Derek Llambias (managing director) that night. You get excited when you spot one. Mike and I went to Saint-Etienne to watch (Pierre-Emerick) Aubameyang. Mike just said, ‘Who am I watching?’ You recommend them, but then you just don’t know what happens sometimes.’

You've got a real knack of putting me in a bad mood so far this year, Doon.

13 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Decent, but not a significant improvement over what we’ve already get imo.

I think in January we might find that's the case for any player that's actually available. 

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I personally give scouts a lot more leeway than say pardew. He’s just doing a job, he’s not participating in the destruction of the club, he was trying to trick Ashley into buying players. It’s a perilous job and the money isn’t amazing so I don’t see it the same as managers really. 

Ultimately Carr lost his mistique/x-factor or whatever when he was put on the board. 

Yes he was still finding good players, Aubameyang/Lacazette (at the time), but was totally hamstrung by Barnes/Ashley refusing to pay, and the hidden gems no-one had really heard of dried up.

Yes Cabaye had just won the league at the time we got him, but I seriously doubt anyone actually knew how good he was beyond the obsessives who insist on being football hipsters

36 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Looks to be another left footed ball playing defender, which is clearly what Howe is looking for from one of his centre back signings. The scouting write ups on him are decent and some top clubs have been monitoring him it seems.

This is our best bet for now I think, as far as finding the best talent in the smaller leagues, as these transfers should be far more straightforward. He's apparently available for just under £17 million.

Just now, KaKa said:

Looks to be another left footed ball playing defender, which is clearly what Howe is looking for from one of his centre back signings. The scouting write ups on him are decent and some top clubs have been monitoring him it seems.

This is our best bet for now I think, as far as finding the best talent in the smaller leagues, as these transfers should be far more straightforward. He's apparently available for just under £17 million.

+ 10million for having the richest owners

+ 8million relegation desperation premium.

19 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I don’t think it’s moved on that much tbh, the video software was still about back then, and there will always be demands for eyes plus data. I still see clubs like wolves advertising for full time scouting positions in Spain/France.

In terms of 4 years, that’s imo because he couldn’t convince Ashley to sign him earlier, imo at least. 

Is genuine that though, no made up bullshit, he said it himself, Tiote was with Twente at the time.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

+ 10million for having the richest owners

+ 8million relegation desperation premium.

This is spot on. 

We live in times where 20M is now quite a small fee for a good player. 

We've had 14 years of conditioning to believe that 7M is still a big fee when in reality that would probably struggle to get you a backup Championship defender.

Maybe it's a leftover from the Shearer signing that's just been ingrained to our support where anything more than 15M should be a superstar