More transfer rumours

midds

Howe quotes from that article:

“When the takeover happened there was a lot of excitement at what lay ahead but the immediate needs of the team are very different to that initial expectation,” Howe said. “It was my job to cut out a lot of the noise and just see what the team needed.

“Chris knows the league, nothing will surprise him, and he will lead us out of the position we are in. He has experience of being in a dogfight.”

“There is nothing wrong with signing younger players for the future but there is a time and a place for those types of signings,” Howe said. “With the current needs of my squad, the two guys we’ve signed were the right ones. They have the right characteristics in terms of playing and attitude, and they are ready to play. That is a crucial thing for us in our current position.”

Victory today would move Howe’s team above their opponents and Burnley and out of the bottom three for the first time since September. “We need wins,” Howe said. “We can’t survive on draws.”

Also... Offers have been tabled for the central defenders Sven Botman, of Lille, and Diego Carlos, of Seville, but Newcastle sources insist the club will not be held to ransom. The Times understands there have been conversations with Manchester United about loan deals for Dean Henderson, the goalkeeper, and Donny van de Beek, the midfielder, but uncertainty over the effect of Covid cases on the first-team squad at Old Trafford means they are reluctant to let players leave.

Edited by nbthree3

27 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Howe quotes from that article:

“When the takeover happened there was a lot of excitement at what lay ahead but the immediate needs of the team are very different to that initial expectation,” Howe said. “It was my job to cut out a lot of the noise and just see what the team needed.

“Chris knows the league, nothing will surprise him, and he will lead us out of the position we are in. He has experience of being in a dogfight.”

“There is nothing wrong with signing younger players for the future but there is a time and a place for those types of signings,” Howe said. “With the current needs of my squad, the two guys we’ve signed were the right ones. They have the right characteristics in terms of playing and attitude, and they are ready to play. That is a crucial thing for us in our current position.”

Victory today would move Howe’s team above their opponents and Burnley and out of the bottom three for the first time since September. “We need wins,” Howe said. “We can’t survive on draws.”

Also... Offers have been tabled for the central defenders Sven Botman, of Lille, and Diego Carlos, of Seville, but Newcastle sources insist the club will not be held to ransom. The Times understands there have been conversations with Manchester United about loan deals for Dean Henderson, the goalkeeper, and Donny van de Beek, the midfielder, but uncertainty over the effect of Covid cases on the first-team squad at Old Trafford means they are reluctant to let players leave.

For all the noise about Howe being articulate there, I hate hearing it. Talk of 'dog fights', 'focul points for the team' etc is just depressing.

16 minutes ago, toon25 said:

For all the noise about Howe being articulate there, I hate hearing it. Talk of 'dog fights', 'focul points for the team' etc is just depressing.

Which bit do you think is inaccurate, and what should he have said instead?

4 hours ago, hakka said:

Why were we not sorting these deals out with these clubs in December so they all went through in January or were further to finishing? It feels like we waited until 1st Jan and then started making contact. 2 in is good, but a new high quality CB and CM for this game would have been huge.

I mean, who says we weren't? Just because we're just now hearing about a deal today doesn't mean it was only set in motion 4 hours ago.

We are also quoted sometimes excessive premiums on the players we want. If it was a case of normal going rate, we could have concluded more deals earlier. So far our deals are fair value (Trippier) and release clause (Wood). Hopefully things will change in our flavour towards the later part of the window.

1 hour ago, thomas said:

I mean, who says we weren't? Just because we're just now hearing about a deal today doesn't mean it was only set in motion 4 hours ago.

Because we are still haggling and having bids rejected? That's the whole point.

5 hours ago, LRD said:

Could also be why we want to bring in two CBs if the interest in Gosen is real.

To add on, it may not be a coincidence that we are linked with mostly left-sided CBs. If we sign Gosens, we have to play him at WB/ LM where he excels. ASM's best position is also on the left wing so we will need additional defensive cover on the left.

Or maybe ASM will be an impact sub.

1 hour ago, hakka said:

Because we are still haggling and having bids rejected? That's the whole point.

With most deals, selling clubs will want other buyers to come in for a bidding war, and those get the most active near the end of the transfer window.

All clubs could negotiate before the window, if it were of benefit to everyone.

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

My expectation is Matt Targett for "PL Experience" last week of the window for LB. 

Wouldn't disappoint me that. I think he's underrated and definitely better than Lewis/Dummett or Ritchie.

10 hours ago, toon25 said:

A focal point for the team Is exactly what we need right now and we are in a dog fight, don't see what the issues are with that at all.

Edited by WillingtonMag

8 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I didn't say anything was inaccurate, I said it was a depressing read [emoji38]

Depressingly accurate.

We don't need any fluff. To quote the big man himself, everybody needs to roll their sleeves up and be accountable now.

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Was a weird appointment, heard no good things about the guy tbh

it hasn’t been reported by anyone else but Hardy. I can’t see the article though so no idea what it says. 

others have been praising Hammond for his links to that agency that helped us get Trip and Wood in the last week so the report seems weird. Ryder just mentioned him again in a chronicle article re: Delli Ali. 

It seemed like he was there to push paper and be sounding board to the owners. 

Edited by Kanji