More transfer rumours

midds

13 minutes ago, 1964 said:

I'm not one but surprised, I'm not surewhat people expected, given our utterly shit bargaining position

We are not playing well

We are in the relegation zone

We are cash rich but desperate

No club wants to lose a player in January

The squad is championship quality

Not everyone wants to play for Newcastle 

All we can offer millionaires is more money

Could sell it as...

Play well and you'll be the hero

Keep us up and you will be loved

If it doesn't work you can go to whoever wants you

If it does you will be seen as the starter for something great

You will be paid more than you can imagine

24 minutes ago, 1964 said:

I'm not one but surprised, I'm not surewhat people expected, given our utterly shit bargaining position

We are not playing well

We are in the relegation zone

We are cash rich but desperate

No club wants to lose a player in January

The squad is championship quality

Not everyone wants to play for Newcastle 

All we can offer millionaires is more money

Aye, like I say, probably unrealistic expectations from myself, however, still a tad disappointing, whichever way you dress it up ultimately.

53 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We can pretty much rule out any signing from a foreign league being in in time for Saturday now.

I would just write off the Leeds game tbh, we have a break after that, and I suspect we'll be bringing in most of our signings at the end of the window. Just have to hope there's still enough winnable games to be able to turn it round in that time. 

Just now, TRon said:

I would just write off the Leeds game tbh, we have a break after that, and I suspect we'll be bringing in most of our signings at the end of the window. Just have to hope there's still enough winnable games to be able to turn it round in that time. 

Yeah, I'm thinking this is pretty much going to be the approach to things now.

Just now, KaKa said:

Yeah, I'm thinking this is pretty much going to be the approach to things now.

Not sure it's worth bringing in players for the sake of one game anyway, I think that's what happened with Wood. For the sake of a couple of weeks better just to wait and get your real targets. 

Not criticising the Wood signing btw, I think we were desperate for a striker, but if we'd been prepared to use the whole window, is he really the one we'd have gone for?

I think we are trying but people just asking way too much because it's Newcastle and players don't want to come here because we're in a relagation battle. If we would have won last weekend things might be different. I hope we get some quality in and stay up then everyone will be happy to come play here. Get out of the bottom 3 ASAP

2 hours ago, Manxst said:

Which is why Barca want to get rid. If he stayed fit, he’d be immense and they’d want to keep him.

If we sign both Umtiti and Dembele let's not buy them at the same time. Don't want them bumping into each other on the flight over.

12 minutes ago, TRon said:

Not sure it's worth bringing in players for the sake of one game anyway, I think that's what happened with Wood. For the sake of a couple of weeks better just to wait and get your real targets. 

Not criticising the Wood signing btw, I think we were desperate for a striker, but if we'd been prepared to use the whole window, is he really the one we'd have gone for?

Eddie Howe's number 1 target, supposedly.  I've seen that reported a few places.  

Unless he goes on a right run of form and we figure out how to utilise him properly.  Then that's a bit worrying, if true! 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Eddie Howe's number 1 target, supposedly.  I've seen that reported a few places.  

Unless he goes on a right run of form and we figure out how to utilise him properly.  Then that's a bit worrying, if true! 

I'm not too concerned. We looked to be trying to get him on the end of crosses, v Watford, but with only 2 days training together we just didn't get it right. I think he'll be more effective after a full week training.

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Tbf, I can see the logic in it, but I suspect he was the number one target only to fight relegation. Proven record of goals in the Premier, but if we were mid-table, we'd be looking at a different type of striker altogether, the likes of Vlahovic or Martial who could take us up another level. As it stands they won't even consider us, Wood will. 

He was signed because a) we needed a striker in now, b) we found out he had a release clause, c) we could afford him and he would come and, d) with one eye on the Championship

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Tbf, I can see the logic in it, but I suspect he was the number one target only to fight relegation. Proven record of goals in the Premier, but if we were mid-table, we'd be looking at a different type of striker altogether, the likes of Vlahovic or Martial who could take us up another level. As it stands they won't even consider us, Wood will. 

Can totally see this being the case. 

29 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If this was summer we’d have no problem at all IMO. Getting people to switch clubs to a relegation battle (arguable relegation certainty) in January is going to be really hard. 

Absolutely. And that's just in terms of the players. Clubs know that we're - not just loaded - but loaded and desperate. Of course they're going to take the piss. 

The two signings we've made were both sure things. Trippier, due to him wanting to return to the north of England and his existing relationship with the manager; Wood, cos there was a release clause and because it's a step up for him. 

I hope we don't live to regret not seeking more attainable targets of their ilk. I can't blame them for finding it a challenge to secure their targets, but I will blame them if they haven't had the sense to chase the right players. 

Still, there's a long way to go yet. Wood was all but sorted in a matter of hours so if we need to just press the panic button again, I'm sure we will do, and that will be better than nothing. 

25 minutes ago, TRon said:

Could be all over by then, can't see anyone coming in this week anyway apart from maybe Carlos. Think our chance has maybe passed now unless we go on a mad run but can't see it myself

14 minutes ago, HWTL said:

Could be all over by then, can't see anyone coming in this week anyway apart from maybe Carlos. Think our chance has maybe passed now unless we go on a mad run but can't see it myself

After the Leeds game there's still 17 more games left. It's far from all over if we can get enough quality in. Still  not easy as getting a bunch of new players to gel is a challenge in itself, but it's a long way from done. 

16 minutes ago, TRon said:

After the Leeds game there's still 17 more games left. It's far from all over if we can get enough quality in. Still  not easy as getting a bunch of new players to gel is a challenge in itself, but it's a long way from done. 

This is the question. Do we rush to sign the level of quality that might see us get three points against Leeds, but fail to get anything beyond that. Or do we battle on for another week for the quality that we believe will almost guarantee safety. I think if the latter involves signing Hazard we're fucked, otherwise it's probably the sensible thing to do.

6 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

This is the question. Do we rush to sign the level of quality that might see us get three points against Leeds, but fail to get anything beyond that. Or do we battle on for another week for the quality that we believe will almost guarantee safety. I think if the latter involves signing Hazard we're fucked, otherwise it's probably the sensible thing to do.

I'd take a punt on Hazard tbh.  It might work, it might not.  What we have now does not work so there is an improvement in chances if he comes on loan.

Just now, relámpago blanco said:

I'd take a punt on Hazard tbh.  It might work, it might not.  What we have now does not work so there is an improvement in chances if he comes on loan.

I think we've witnessed with ASM, and to a degree HBA, that such players need to be on their game, for their unquestioned talent to outweigh their luxury. If I thought he was remotely interested in playing for the worst team in the PL it would be a no-brainer. The last thing we need is another half-arsed fancy pants losing it when our WBs are advanced.

I'm not calling ASM a half-arsed fancy pants, but he is when he's half-arsed.

13 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Only strategy really is to make big offers to clubs that cant afford to hold

on to players/unsettle them. 

It's what we're doing tbf, but those clubs will string us along until the end of the window because they don't really want to sell. It would be great if we could get them to say ok let's do it right now, but why would they? 

Are we turning our noses up at Hazard when we’ve got about 1 goal and 2 assists across the rest of our forward players apart from ASM & Wilson? 

Would have thought seeing Coutinho single handed my turn around a 2-0 deficit on his debut might have made people see we need quality. Hazard has tons.

Edited by Optimistic Nut