More transfer rumours

midds

10 minutes ago, triggs said:

Why would we buy Gosens to put him left wing? Totally different to playing left wing back

Because it's the two positions he usualy play. And I don't think we're gonna play with a LB and a LWB at the same time.

Dembele/Lingard type deals will go to the wire i expect. Selling clubs know they will leave for free in 6 months so the price will continuously drop as the selling club don't get what they want. In Dembele's case especially he is incredibly overpaid compared to what he offers taking injuries/form into account from what I've read. so the agent will want someone to "match" his wages this January i think. If his contract runs out he will be stuck having to get the highest wage another club will offer him. So i can see us possibly doing this deal if all he wants is money, im not too sure if its the best for us but depends on alternatives. Lingard on the other hand I would expect might wait until the summer for a premier league side unless we manage to turn him.

24 minutes ago, thomas said:

M. Night Shyamalan twist here but what if all these transfer shenanigans are completely normal, only we've been living under the Fog of Ashley for so long we'd forgotten.

M. Night Shenanigans 

Boils down to other clubs taking the piss knowing we’re in the shit, minted and desperate. Players using us as a stick to beat their current employers with, agents trying it on and raging speculation in the press. And our owners are naive to the market and it’s peculiarities, which provides more latitude for piss taking. A DOF would have made some difference but not much and the infrastructure is still sports direct shambolic. 
Private WhatsApp group of every DOF of every top

tier club in Europe entitled ‘taking the piss out of Newcastle’

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I think he’s really good yeah, he had a tough spell, but DDG had similar issues to him. I like Henderson too, either would be massive upgrades imho 

Really interesting.

I've not seen/heard many people going into bat for Kepa so good to see an alternative view.

I've probably not seen enough of him to offer much of a useful opinion but from the small bits I've seen, my immediate thought was that he was perhaps a little lightweight for PL football...

Henderson I really like.

Not sure if this has already been said but they'll be some clubs not wanting to sell just yet as they'd then be expected to reinvest the money in a replacement within this window. If they leave it a few more days then they can always say they ran out of time to find a replacement. 

Similar to when we sold Carroll and "ran out of time" to sign anyone. I remember we pledged to reinvest all his money which then turned into money we just used for the general running of the club. For some reason, I remember his transfer fee being linked to work at the training ground, including new manhole covers. I might be completely wrong on the last point but something rings a bell.

24 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I think he’s really good yeah, he had a tough spell, but DDG had similar issues to him. I like Henderson too, either would be massive upgrades imho 

Was Kepa that prick who refused to be substituted? 

10 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Not sure if this has already been said but they'll be some clubs not wanting to sell just yet as they'd then be expected to reinvest the money in a replacement within this window. If they leave it a few more days then they can always say they ran out of time to find a replacement. 

Similar to when we sold Carroll and "ran out of time" to sign anyone. I remember we pledged to reinvest all his money which then turned into money we just used for the general running of the club. For some reason, I remember his transfer fee being linked to work at the training ground, including new manhole covers. I might be completely wrong on the last point but something rings a bell.

I do remember that seemed to be the first time the club trotted the line that we suddenly didn't have £35m to spend on a player/players transfer fees, as the money also had to cover the wages over the course of the contract, signing on / agent fees, etc. Basically the start of the lowering of transfer expectations and fees being spent.

The failed late transfer day attempt to hijack Bryan Ruiz (?) to fulham was funny though.

Edited by TK-421

How much did Kepa cost, he’s obviously got ability, but does seem very flimsy for a PL ‘keeper, I’d be happy with Henderson over Kepa like, but both would seemingly be a big improvement on Dubravka who I think with his injuries has lost the kind of consistent or good form that a ‘keeper only gets by playing uninterrupted games. We saw it with Krul towards the end, if only we could find another Given who seemingly never got injured.

People underestimate that with ‘keepers especially, given their position, it’s imperative they have a run of games because that sharpness only comes from that and I do feel for many they can decline massively by either not playing or playing sporadically. 

5 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

I do remember that seemed to be the first time the club trotted the line that we suddenly didn't have £35m to spend on a player, as the money had to cover the wages over the course of the contract, etc. Basically the start of the lowering of transfer expectations and fees being spent.

The failed late transfer day attempt to hijack Bryan Ruaz (?) to fulham was funny though.

I was just googling and it came up on this fans forum I like the line that they hadn't promised to spend it all in one window.

I forgot about the links to Ruiz who ended up at Fulham where he just wasn't suited to English football.

It's like reliving a nightmare reading those minutes again.

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Thought so. That looked awful behaviour at the time!

Aye it was mental, but a part of me liked the nah, you selected me to start, I believe in myself, I’m taking control of this etc. But it’s a team game and the manager should never be overruled by a player. It’s shows self confidence, arrogance and defiance, but also petulance and a lack of respect.