More transfer rumours

midds

Worth remembering with the way our academy has been handled we are pretty much one in one out right now. I assume if Leno was to come in then two of Woodman, Gillespie, Darlow are either sold or loaned out (failing that we just don't register them). 

I say that because when we're discussing Matt Targett I don't know if there's much sense in signing a lad who offers no different skillset to what we already have unless you're wanting to ditch Ritchie and backing Lewis to play further up.

18 minutes ago, ToonScotman said:

Ach well. Seems another week without signings that are much needed. Which is disappointing as we could be doing with fresh faces liven the place up and boost our chances against Leeds a very winnable game same as last week with Watford. Should have been working on multiple positions and players from before January but it seems we are struggling to do so, only concentrating on one deal at a time. Why was the likes of Lingard availability not explored last week instead of Wednesday which has now dragged into today with not much further. If we got even one in before Saturday then most would be content as we know it’s a struggle and it was always going to go down to the wire with signings. Just pretty underwhelming when we should have had a big push at the start before Watford and Leeds then panic at the end. If we somehow manage to take 3 points off Leeds I’ll stop complaining.

Man Utd had too many COVID concerns so weren’t discussing outgoings at the time. This applies to most teams hence why I think all the deals will start being finalised after this weekend’s round of games. We are no different as Anderson has a loan deal lined up with Luton but not being green lighted until after the Leeds game.

The last week is going to be absolute carnage. I'm certain we will get at least 3 more in, of what standard I'm not sure. 

Combine that with news of outgoings and near misses... its going to be fun, or disastrous depending on your viewpoint.

41 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

0_ceefaxpage.png

Fella, this was better, if you even know what it is.

I used to do the graphics for a Teletext holiday company. Dial up modem. Access to ALL pages with no Moderators. Simpler times 🙂

54 minutes ago, STM said:

The last week is going to be absolute carnage. I'm certain we will get at least 3 more in, of what standard I'm not sure. 

Combine that with news of outgoings and near misses... its going to be fun, or disastrous depending on your viewpoint.

I'm getting the feeling we might end up going with secondary targets, seems like we are being asked for king's ransoms for our primary ones, with  relegation clauses or ridiculous loan fees for the likes of Lingard. I'm ok with that tbh, I think we need players who are in 100% come what may. 

Used to get in from school put ceefax (page302) & teletext (page140 iirc) on, read all the football stuff and try and freeze the clubcall headlines page/advert (went on and off quickly) to read to baloney headlines on that.

Good to see the art of making up any old tosh for money are behind us and that i've grown out of obsessively looking for the latest transfer gen.

Edited by Wolfcastle

It is true. We've technically only paid money for two central midfielders since we got promoted. One is at Real Sociedad, and the other is Joe Willock. 

For all people on the outside talk about Joelinton and 'giving Bruce £100m', he did that because he sensed a profit with the former, and knew the latter couldn't get the same tune out of a Championship squad like Rafa Benitez. It was forced investment.

We'll never know who of our signings were Rafa's preferred options, but if you look at a lot of the business under him it was largely from fellow strugglers or lads totally on the fringes. Whether it was Ciaran Clark, Fabian Schar, Javier Manquillo, DeAndre Yedlin, or Joselu, they all came here 'with a point to prove' which is fine if you're a team just getting promoted. We relied really heavily on Rafa's ability to judge a player, and we had very little margin for error. That meant we ended up with some very good players like Mikel Merino, Florian Lejeune, or Martin Dubravka, but also some that were clear punts like Christian Atsu and Emil Krafth. Honestly every time we took a step forward I was just waiting for Ashley to yank us back two. 

I'd never wish death upon anyone, because we all have families, but knowing he had no say in our club was a joyous moment.

24 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Re: Bernd Leno, worth noting that Arsenal are in talks with New England Revolution for their goalkeeper Matt Turner. 

That makes me think it could be a goer. 

I wouldn’t say it’s a priority compared to pretty much any other outfield position! But Dubravka has been a bit crap this season and has also struggled with injuries the last year or two. 

I thought Leno looked good when he first signed for Asenal and I’d imagine he’ll be a lot more comfortable trying to play out from the back. But his form dipped/got injured if memory serves and he was then out of favour. Martinez was the more fancied of the two by fans, at least. Then he left and Ramsdale is their new favourite. 

I still think he’d be an improvement on Dubs based on how he has looked this season. 

10 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

0_ceefaxpage.png

Fella, this was better, if you even know what it is.

Spent many a happy hour as a kid tracking football news and scores on Ceefax. Also remember getting into loads of trouble after phoning various premium rate competition numbers that used to get advertised on it 😋 

1 minute ago, mouldy_uk said:

Spent many a happy hour as a kid tracking football news and scores on Ceefax. Also remember getting into loads of trouble after phoning various premium rate competition numbers that used to get advertised on it 😋 

Me too. I was on Clubcall all the time. My mother was distinctly unimpressed. 

I’d be happy enough to have Dummett at LB if he could stay fit. He’s way better than Lewis or Ritchie.

The issue is that he’ll play a few games and then be out for months, so if Targett is basically a Dummett who can stay fit then I have no issue with that.