More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

Howe is very predictable and PFM like. 

Jesus Christ man, have a word with yourself. Eddie Howe is not a pfm, he’s falling back on England based players because nobody wants to deal with us in this window. The playing side of the club are in a shambles and most of the players who could be truly regarded as upgrades won’t come right now because of the league table, the ones that are here seem happy with extending their careers here if we go down.

Cant think of a harder job in football right now.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

On what basis?

In that I called that the left back we go for would be Targett purely because he's English and played in the PL, despite links to Gosens, Tagliafico and Bakker. Much like Wood, its the boring uninspiring option that is "Safe" but doesn't actually add much. 

2 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

In that I called that the left back we go for would be Targett purely because he's English and played in the PL, despite links to Gosens, Tagliafico and Bakker. Much like Wood, its the boring uninspiring option that is "Safe" but doesn't actually add much. 

:lol:

So of all the spurious links to left backs, you're picking the one to back up your preconception?

If we're guessing, what's to say Gosens and Tagliafico haven't knocked us back? I'm certain they'll both have more interesting options than us.

13 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

I think Targett is decent personally. Better than what we have, decent delivery. Doubt he will want to come here though.

Yep. Doesn’t shit himself on the ball and will likely be available for over 50% of games a season. Good defender overall as well. I’d take him. Benitez wanted him twice when we came up but Ashley.

16 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

I think Targett is decent personally. Better than what we have, decent delivery. Doubt he will want to come here though.

The majority of villa fans on social media (aye I know) wanted targett out cos he's shite going forward 🤔

Going on brummie's review of Targett I'd be happy to bring him in. Solid defensively/not great going forward in the Dummett mould, but Dummett's going to get injured and is on the way out so it makes sense.

Would definitely like a more attack minded LB at the same time.

1 minute ago, jack j said:

The majority of villa fans on social media (aye I know) wanted targett out cos he's shite going forward 🤔

I dunno, I watched a few of their games over the years, and I see a better player than what we’ve got. Nothing special, nowhere near Digne, but better than our lot. I felt there were times when he worked well with Grealish on the left and looked capable of hitting decent passes over the top, and delivering into the box.

10 hours ago, Thiago said:

It is true. We've technically only paid money for two central midfielders since we got promoted. One is at Real Sociedad, and the other is Joe Willock. 

For all people on the outside talk about Joelinton and 'giving Bruce £100m', he did that because he sensed a profit with the former, and knew the latter couldn't get the same tune out of a Championship squad like Rafa Benitez. It was forced investment.

We'll never know who of our signings were Rafa's preferred options, but if you look at a lot of the business under him it was largely from fellow strugglers or lads totally on the fringes. Whether it was Ciaran Clark, Fabian Schar, Javier Manquillo, DeAndre Yedlin, or Joselu, they all came here 'with a point to prove' which is fine if you're a team just getting promoted. We relied really heavily on Rafa's ability to judge a player, and we had very little margin for error. That meant we ended up with some very good players like Mikel Merino, Florian Lejeune, or Martin Dubravka, but also some that were clear punts like Christian Atsu and Emil Krafth. Honestly every time we took a step forward I was just waiting for Ashley to yank us back two. 

I'd never wish death upon anyone, because we all have families, but knowing he had no say in our club was a joyous moment.

From the Athletic - also, Fede was the last CH we signed - August 2018

As Benitez would regularly say about his Newcastle signings, many of whom were very low down his list of targets, “It’s not about who I want, it’s about who I can get.”

Had he been backed, Benitez was adamant he could have acquired, among others, Mason Holgate, Wes Morgan and Marlon Santos, although the latter’s loan from Barcelona in 2018 fell through due to work-permit issues, rather than because of Newcastle’s unwillingness. Nathan Ake, too, was courted by Benitez in 2017, but Newcastle were unable to match AFC Bournemouth’s £20 million offer to Chelsea.

Guest reefatoon

Well, it's the penultimate Friday before the window "slams shut" Just going to bask in all the midfield links when they arrive..........

mr-bean-waiting.gif

Guest reefatoon

Must be a nightmare for them trying to bring bodies in. In the two weeks after Trippier, all we have managed to do is massively overpay for a limited aging striker. Don't think it's the want of trying that is holding us back, but more the greedy bastard clubs trying to fleece us. We will have to get used to this.