More transfer rumours

midds

32 minutes ago, gdm said:

Strange that a player of that quality would be available on loan, his contract runs out in 2023 so maybe would be a better idea hoy a bid in.

West Ham were linked with him a few weeks back, the price was £14m, so probably 30 for us..

Players like Lingard and Dele Alli are icing on the cake type players, they are not going to cover the cracks of having Shelvey and Longstaff sauntering around the pitch aimlessly.

We need to be looking at players who can protect the defence

Alli, Cantwell, Lingard are all potenital QPR-esq disasters. 

Isn't Alli notoriously a bad trainer? Just can't see Howe into him if so. 

If lingard doesn't want to be here and has his mind set on west ham he could be awful. A shit 3 month stint here won't stop West Ham signing him for nothing and a good run of form starting next season will still get him into the England squad. I want players that want to be here.

While they could all terrible if we could get them motivated any one of them could also keep us up. Any other club maybe, we know our luck.

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

Players like Lingard and Dele Alli are icing on the cake type players, they are not going to cover the cracks of having Shelvey and Longstaff sauntering around the pitch aimlessly.

They can't fix the midfield issues, but they could provide the goals that Fraser and Almiron just aren't capable of. Play them off Wood for a double up chance of scoring?

Just now, ManDoon said:

Alli is still a really good footballer. 

I saw him in that game of the season contender against Liverpool and he nearly scored a belter, only a fantastic save by the keeper stopped that. 

Just now, Alberto2005 said:

Surely not the sitter he missed first half?

No, it was the one he hit first time and tried to bend it low into the corner. It was going in but the keeper just got a finger tip to it and that was enough to push it wide. 

Clearing aiming for an Attacking CM, makes you wonder what future Willock has here. Apparently he doesn't. Not getting a DM would be absolutely mental. I'd rather we got a Kamara and play Almiron/Willock in front than sign an Alli/Lingard and no DM. Both would be best.

19 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Alli, Cantwell, Lingard are all potenital QPR-esq disasters. 

Isn't Alli notoriously a bad trainer? Just can't see Howe into him if so. 

If lingard doesn't want to be here and has his mind set on west ham he could be awful. A shit 3 month stint here won't stop West Ham signing him for nothing and a good run of form starting next season will still get him into the England squad. I want players that want to be here.

While they could all terrible if we could get them motivated any one of them could also keep us up. Any other club maybe, we know our luck.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards this sort of thinking. 

Cantwell is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. Must be a clear reason why nobody has come in for him since Norwich dropping in 19/20, and his stock tanking. From what games I've seen of Norwich this season, can't even think I've seen him kick a ball. Always thought he was all fart-no poo when he was meant to be good a couple of years ago. His mentality and attitude will be totally at other end of spectrum that we've added to the dressing room with Trippier having worked with Simeone. Serial loser with 1 and half relgations to his name now, that is a lightweight playmaker who lets games pass him by at the best of times - no taa.

Appreciate we're not in a situation to be too picky, and Lingard and Alli obviously have far superior ability and talent too what dross we're currently fielding, but the the thought of loaning in those sort of signings gives me PTSD from watching Danny Rose play for us. End of the day, their only be out for their own ends - and if they're doing their level best to screw their respective careers and talent away at far bigger clubs than us, I can't have much confidence either are going to be prepared to sweat blood for us in the coming months. 

Cliche, but moving up too Newcastle isn't attractive to these two I'd imagine - neither will have mates in our dressing room they would know from International duty akin to Lingard buddying up with the West Ham bunch. Lingard clearly wants to move to London, and I'd strongly imagine Alli wouldn't be too motivated to move his life and commit everything to save our arses.

All above speak to where Howe is talking about adding the right sort of players against the risk of screwing things up even further.

Edited by Clockwork Cheese

11 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Aren't Marseille in a tiny bit of bother money wise? I'd take Caleta-Car no bother. Similar profile to Diego Carlos and the type of grab it by the horns type we need.

He’s 34-years old, but if he’s still playing well I’d take Payet off their hands.

15 minutes ago, Clockwork Cheese said:

Yeah, I'm leaning towards this sort of thinking. 

Cantwell is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. Must be a clear reason why nobody has come in for him since Norwich dropping in 19/20, and his stock tanking. From what games I've seen of Norwich this season, can't even think I've seen him kick a ball. Always thought he was all fart-no poo when he was meant to be good a couple of years ago. His mentality and attitude will be totally at other end of spectrum that we've added to the dressing room with Trippier having worked with Simeone. Serial loser with 1 and half relgations to his name now, that is a lightweight playmaker who lets games pass him by at the best of times - no taa.

Appreciate we're not in a situation to be too picky, and Lingard and Alli obviously have far superior ability and talent too what dross we're currently fielding, but the the thought of loaning in those sort of signings gives me PTSD from watching Danny Rose play for us. End of the day, their only be out for their own ends - and if they're doing their level best to screw their respective careers and talent away at far bigger clubs than us, I can't have much confidence either are going to be prepared to sweat blood for us in the coming months. 

Cliche, but moving up too Newcastle isn't attractive to these two I'd imagine - neither will have mates in our dressing room they would know from International duty akin to Lingard buddying up with the West Ham bunch. Lingard clearly wants to move to London, and I'd strongly imagine Alli wouldn't be too motivated to move his life and commit everything to save our arses.

All above speak to where Howe is talking about adding the right sort of players against the risk of screwing things up even further.

Lingard would be playing for his England place, and when he's played for England he's done quite well tbf. Alli, yes I can understand those concerns, but if you had to bet your life on him scoring a winner vs Almiron or Fraser, who would it be on?

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

Lingard would be playing for his England place, and when he's played for England he's done quite well tbf. Alli, yes I can understand those concerns, but if you had to bet your life on him scoring a winner vs Almiron or Fraser, who would it be on?

Oh yeah, agreed - even with differing degrees of reservation on even both signing permanently tomorrow their vast improvements on the shite we're having to play.

That being said, we're always going to be second/third choice for these guys - both would rather be playing for West Ham, Everton, or a Villa. This is compounded when you take into account their characters, motivations and career trajectories. We truly lucked out with Trippier - a seemingly leader/model pro that has that has that killer winning mentality still fresh inside him, a player that hasn't been outcast, a player with their career still in an upward trajectory, and someone who made a clear choice to sign and commit to playing for us.

End of the day, I just don't want to have to watch another Bentaleb or Danny Rose type play for themselves and use us simply as a venture for a deal somewhere else - especially in the situation we're in now, we will be sold the dream on having a player of their 'calibre/talent' sign.

Whilst not ideal, it's testament to how much of a wreckage our squad is that even a 4/10 Alli phoning it in against Watford would still be more productive than Longstaff. Cambridge is the sort of game where Alli would have scored and collected a goal bonus from. We were in a sorry state having to bend over for Danny Rose couple of years ago, frightening how much worse we are now.

Edited by Clockwork Cheese

58 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

In 2018 England played them both like and they looked good. Different competition obviously but they would be fine with Joelinton imo.

EDIT: (obviously assuming they can recapture that form)

Edited by Hanshithispantz

10 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Does Lingard have previous like? Genuine question.

I know he seems like a bit of a tit (JLingz) but always thought he put a shift in?

Not that I know of, but neither did Sterling when he get loads of stick. Element of racism combined with the general flash footballer resentment. 

Are people suggesting he has an attitude problem? I’m certainly not, but he certainly doesn’t seem desperate to come to the club. People have made fair arguments as to why that is (e.g. we’re absolutely hideous and very close to being nailed-on to get relegated) but if he’s not that keen to sign for us I think it can have a knock-on effect to his performances