More transfer rumours

midds

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Ah, it was the post I originally responded to from SUPERTOON. 

Dele was a huge asset at one point. People always tend to focus on his weaknesses i.e. defensive contribution, but he is lethal in the final third both scoring goals and creating them. Poch was clever enough to find a way to accommodate him in a team that went all the way to the Champions League final, and he was a key contributor.

Spurs have gone for a certain type of manager since Poch, and they are all types that would not really find a place for a player like Dele and so in the first instance once Mourinho came in and started ostracising him, they had to make a tough call at that point. If they were going to back Mourinho to the hilt then they should have moved him on when there was still pretty decent interest in him. Poch wanted him at PSG and I imagine they could have got a decent fee for him from them.

I just can’t see him as you describe- his figure for goals/assists against his appearances in the last four seasons suggest he’s certainly not ‘lethal in the final third’ at all. You’re judging him on past performances from nearly half a decade ago, and under a single specific manager. Under three decent/world class managers since, he’s failed dismally. He had the chance to have a fresh start under Conte and has just reverted to type as opposed to regaining any semblance of form or ability/attitude.

Edited by Manxst

14 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I know what you mean, and why you would see it that way, but our quality in midfield is even less than our quality at CB. If we get even one decent midfielder with some legs/creativity it takes such a massive amount of pressure off of our defense and they will look a much better unit.

This is true, but I do think with Joelinton we have some quality in midfield. If we’re gonna play a three in midfield I think there were glimpses of Willock returning to form.

after all the wrist-slashing a week ago (myself included) we're 4 points more attractive to potential signings.

think things will get a lot easier this week in terms of attracting decent (may be not great, but decent) players.

Edited by huss9

I think Ali is a good player and lost his way but very similar to Willock, if we can get Willock to add a few goals and play more like he did today then there's no point in going for Ali as he is just as much as a hit or miss. Would much rather Lingard. 

10 minutes ago, Manxst said:

I just can’t see him as you describe- his figure for goals/assists against his approaches in the last four season suggest he’s certainly not ‘lethal in the final third’ at all. You’re judging him on past performance nearly half a decade ago, and under a specific manager. Under three decent/world class managers since, he’s failed dismally. He had the chance to have a fresh start under Conte and has just reverted to type as opposed to regaining any semblance of form or ability/attitude.

Every player is not suited to every type of manager. It's as simple as that for me really.

Dele is what people would typically describe as a luxury player. If it's a more attack minded team and setup, and the rest of the team can cover for his weaknesses he is fantastic in the final third. I mean you just have to have watched him over the years in Poch's team linking up with Son and Kane. That trio was brilliant together. He was averaging double figures in both goals and assists every season under Poch.

Mourinho, Nuno and Conte do not play the same type of football Poch played and he has suffered for it. He is a very limited player in that respect as he cannot really adapt to a more highly disciplined, defence first style of football. Guy is still just 25 years old and it will be interesting to see what comes of him  in the next few years. He really needs to be careful where he goes next and who he chooses to play for, as it needs to be a manager that is not as rigid.

Edited by KaKa

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Every player is not suited to every type of manager. It's as simple as that for me really.

Dele is what people would typically describe as a luxury player. If it's a more attack minded team and setup, and the rest of the team can cover for his weaknesses he is fantastic in the final third. I mean you just have to have watched him over the years in Poch's team linking up with Son and Kane. That trio was brilliant together. He was averaging double figures in both goals and assists every season under Poch.

Mourinho, Nuno and Conte do not play the same type of football Poch played and he has suffered for it. He is a very limited player in that respect as he cannot really adapt to a more highly disciplined, defence first style of football. Guy is still just 25 years old and it will be interesting to see what comes of him  in the next few years. He really needs to be careful where he gores next and who he choses to play for, as it needs to be a manager that is not as rigid.

He’s had multiple chances to repeat the Kane/Son triumvirate under every manager though, and always failed to deliver. It’s as though he just can’t be arsed these days. Mourinho stated as much when he said he was a lazy player/trainer. It’s nothing to do with choice of manager, but if it is, he’s bang out of luck- if he needs a perfect fit as manager to get anything out of him then he’s currently even worse than I presume. Managers come and go (as they have done for him)- it’s going to be impossible for him unless Poch keeps signing him every time he moves as manager. 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

He’s had multiple chances to repeat the Kane/Son triumvirate under every manager though, and always failed to deliver. It’s as though he just can’t be arsed these days. Mourinho stated as much when he said he was a lazy player/trainer. It’s nothing to do with choice of manager, but if it is, he’s bang out of luck- if he needs a perfect fit as manager to get anything out of him then he’s currently even worse than I presume. Managers come and go (as they have done for him)- it’s going to be impossible for him unless Poch keeps signing him every time he moves as manager. 

:lol:

Did I say he could only play for Poch? I said it is down to the style of football. This kind of thing happens all the time. It was no different to Mourinho's treatment of Pogba at Man Utd.

But I can see we are not going to agree on this so fair enough. Be interesting to see how it plays out for him.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

:lol:

Did I say he could only play for Poch? I said it is down to the style of football. This kind of thing happens all the time. It was no different to Mourinho's treatment of Pogba at Man Utd.

But I can see we are not going to agree on this so fair enough. Be interesting to see how it plays out for him.

No, but he’s had four managers all of very good standard and can seemingly only play for one. 

48 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Glad by the time we next play we will

know the squad for the rest of the season, off topic it why isn’t there a game for a couple of weeks now ?

International break but not for all regions, CONMEBOL and ASIA has WC qualifiers 

I know they play slightly different positions, but if we are going to spend stupid money on 29/30 yr old forwards, I think we should go for Zapata over Lingard. We'd have to pay a £10m loan fee to bring Lingard, and he'd probably bugger off in the summer. Might as well put that towards Zapata who looks like he's got a good football brain on him as well as finishing ability. 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I know they play slightly different positions, but if we are going to spend stupid money on 29/30 yr old forwards, I think we should go for Zapata over Lingard. We'd have to pay a £10m loan fee to bring Lingard, and he'd probably bugger off in the summer. Might as well put that towards Zapata who looks like he's got a good football brain on him as well as finishing ability. 

Zapata would be £30m+ I’d imagine. Plus he’s 31 on April 1st. Cracking player though, and I’d love him here, but think we should be looking younger (or cheaper for the age). 

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Zapata would be £30m+ I’d imagine. Plus he’s 31 on April 1st. Cracking player though, and I’d love him here, but think we should be looking younger (or cheaper for the age). 

We need someone that can hit the ground running. I think Zapata absolutely would. The league is made for him. Someone like Nunes needs a bit of bedding in and protecting. Definitely more of a summer signing. Imo.

Remember the days when we had 5 strikers on the books! 

Wilson, zapata, wood and two more in the summer would be a great squad.

4 minutes ago, toontownman said:

We need someone that can hit the ground running. I think Zapata absolutely would. The league is made for him. Someone like Nunes needs a bit of bedding in and protecting. Definitely more of a summer signing. Imo.

Remember the days when we had 5 strikers on the books! 

Wilson, zapata, wood and two more in the summer would be a great squad.

I’d go all out for Abraham in the summer if we manage to stay up.