More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, McCormick said:

Sounds weird but wouldn’t want him as a left-back in a 4, almost prefer Bakker for that role (unless by grace of Allah we sign a very good cdm and then yes please, all day).

Deffo more of a LWB/LW type. 

2 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Aston Villa haven’t really struggled after signing two quality players we wanted. Watford have recruited very early in the window despite big relegation fears.

I’m not saying it’s a tricky task - of course it is. But that task has been made harder by our clear lack of preparation and confusion behind the scenes (Hammond or no Hammond, a lack of DoF or football structure, chasing players who are clearly not available etc. etc.)

We should either focus on the players we absolutely want (Botman, Carlos etc.) and blow them out of the water by paying the release fee and over the odds, or we should have worked on alternative targets much earlier.

Sitting putting bid after bid in for unavailable players is clearly not going to work, especially if we are putting in those reported ridiculous CL winning clauses in.

You should lend them your expertise, sounds like you really know the game!

The likes of Maehle, Hateboer and Castagne have played wing back for Atalanta but always clearly looked like they were natural defenders who adapted to more forward play.

I've literally never seen Gosens defend in an orthodox manner. He's always been more or less a flying winger his entire time in Italy and this has been the making of him as a player (going from a mid-table Eredivisie player to a starting German international).

It's not to say he couldn't, I genuinely don't know, just perhaps asking a lot coming off injury and in a new country.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 hour ago, Bondedcrown said:

Heard this a few times from orher people, but it comes across as nonsense if there is no context or provenance to what you say?

There's no context to us possibly being better off getting a DoF (or someone in some kind of advisor role) in for this transfer window?

Don't know how true it is, but there's some opinion that we've swung more towards Alli from Lingard because Jesse is non-committal, whereas Dele seems quite keen on a move to Newcastle. That's quite big for me, while I think Lingard is more what we need, I only want players who want to be here. 

4 minutes ago, midds said:

How much of their time can Levy waste do we reckon? I think he'd love to dick us about until the last 15 mins of the window. 

And then say, "actually I think we will keep him."

Edited by toontownman

I’d like Alli but he works best in a bit of a free role behind the striker. Not sure we can tactically afford that with ASM already having a free role. Spurs fans generally seem puzzled as to what happened to him but it seems mostly mental. Maybe a change of environment could do him good. I’d absolutely trust Howe to rediscover him.

Our owners seem really intent not coming across as they can be held to a ransom in the transfer market. Seems like they’re overthinking things a bit much.

I imagine Conte will be putting pressure on after today to free up places in his squad, in fact the way the window has fallen in the middle of the winter break there is no benefit at all holding onto unwanted players 

Keane added: 'He's got to look at himself. He's definitely lost that hunger. He's had a couple of contracts, you take your eye off the ball in this game and you get left behind.' 

After exploding to life at Spurs, Alli has struggled in recent seasons under several different managers.

Redknapp said: 'It makes me sad to think about Dele Alli as five or six years ago he was the best young player in Europe I think. He was doing things out of this world.

'This goal (against Palace) was six years ago I think, it was genius. But something has happened to him. 

Alli has had a fall from grace after he was once seen as one of Europe's most talented youngsters

'I don't get it, only Dele knows what's happened. We can't keep blaming managers, we can't keep blaming circumstances you've got to work it out for yourself.'

quote telling quotes from ex pros. It’s obviously a no brainer if he signs and can turn himself around, but it’s a massive ‘IF’ at the moment as to whether he can actually do that.