More transfer rumours

midds

10 minutes ago, buzz said:

I'm incredibly wary of thinking too soon about the summer given the huge hurdles we need to face to even stay up... but if we do, our marquee signings should be Declan Rice and/or Bowen from West Ham. Their fans are up in arms about the lack of business/pushing on and it's clear they're never going to be ambitious enough to actually keep either of them for very long. 

They’ll have far better offers than us, I think we are a few years away from signing those type of players to be honest.

10 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

One of us these players mentioned would likely cost 80mill plus. I think our money is spent better on the continent to be honest. 

100% agree. I would love Rice and Ward-Prowse but I bet Rice moves closer to Grealish's number ending up at Chelsea or Man Utd and Southampton aren't going to sell their most important player/ captain with a new billionaire owner. I only had Raphinha in my list because I rate him highly but did even say he might be pricey. If we want good and English, we  need to look to the Championship and Brennan Johnson is my pick. Carvalho (Portuguese born but plays for England U19) is another good one but we can't beat Liverpool right now so he'll probably go to Klopp.

And I know this might be a little disrespectful (I don't intend it to), but a lot of players on the continent come from poorer regions (South America and Africa) so will be high moved by money which gives us a better chance to land them against bigger clubs than us.

Edited by Phoenix711

I think Raphina and Phillips would be attainable, but would cost 100m for the pair at least and we’d still face stiff competition. Them two would be immense though!

Ward-Prowse is a cheap 5-10 goals a season (free kicks and corners) and a decent passer. I think Guimaraes outfield play is better but for a team outside the top 3, he'd be really useful.

Does he fit with Guimaraes, I'm not sure. They overlap a bit, Romeu does the defensive work in Southampton's midfield but as Prophet has said, they could be a double pivot ala Kroos and Modric. 

He wouldn't be a priority for me this summer, I'd go after Forwards and Defenders and a Left back/ midfielder. Basically everyone but Guimaraes and Trippier to be replaced :P.

Realistically I think we'll have £200m to spend (as long as we stay up), if we add on player sales, it might be £250-300m (that includes sponsorship and other revenue gains).

If we get Dean Ashworth, I think he's fantastic at finding us gems that I'd trust who he brings in - he'd also have a much bigger budget than at Brighton so could scour higher prized targets, just hope we get him.

I think some of his usefulness is taken away when you have someone like Trippier who is also good at set pieces. Yes I know Ward-Prowse is better but if you have someone in the squad who is also decent on them, the  benefit is minimised.

I suppose it depends on whether we plan on playing Bruno as cdm or wide cm in a three, but supposing the latter I think we’d be better off going with one of Merino, Kamara, Tchoumeni, Kessie, or Tolliso. Have to say if it really is true we bid for Ruiz then that would be an absolute dream to have him as one of our options in the cm position.

Edited by Rafalove

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

It’s been awhile since I saw him but I was never overly impressed with Ward-Prowse. 

I can't say I've ever really noticed him other than he takes a spectacular free kick. I'm guessing he must be quite decent at the basics without actually being that great at anything other than set pieces.

He’s a very good accomplished midfielder for me, but does lack pace and as he gets older that may effect his game. He’s a very tidy neat player though.

3 hours ago, buzz said:

I'm incredibly wary of thinking too soon about the summer given the huge hurdles we need to face to even stay up... but if we do, our marquee signings should be Declan Rice and/or Bowen from West Ham. Their fans are up in arms about the lack of business/pushing on and it's clear they're never going to be ambitious enough to actually keep either of them for very long. 

Rice will cost over 100M and whilst he's great we can get better for a lot less.

22 minutes ago, LRD said:

Why would they want a player who is injured til at least March?

The source is Teamtalk it’s totally worthless. NUFC360 really need to start curating because some of the nonsense they tweet is too much. 

I've always liked Ward-Prowse. He's a good all-rounder who I think would solve the problem of who should sit alongside Bruno.

Rice would be out of our reach, but I suspect he's already reached his level at West Ham, as a midfield player at least. He looks like one of those hybrid CB / DMs, albeit a very good one of that kind. He hasn't impressed me at international level, and I'm not sure that it would work out for him that well at top four level. I think he's over-priced, basically.

Not sure he would be out of our reach. We’ve already been able to attract an incredible quality of player in Trippier who was a key component in a title winning team just last year, and would be looking to challenge for La Liga and  the champions league last this year. Guimaraes is a player who could seemingly have got in any team outside Manchester City. 

We also had highly rated Botman and Carlos not just wanting to join but desperate. I think our pulll next year only increases.

If we survive, I think the summer window is a completely different ball game for us. We won’t have the hanging threat of relegation over us and this will enable us to be more positive in the types of players we try to attract. I think we would have a chance at someone like Raphinha or Ward Prowse as they haven’t really been courted by the so called bigger clubs like say a Rice has been. Also, the problem with Rice (who will probably end up at Chelsea or Man Utd) is that it will take £100m to get him and we could easily find someone just as good for half of that or even for free (a Kessie or Kamara)

8 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

If we survive, I think the summer window is a completely different ball game for us. We won’t have the hanging threat of relegation over us and this will enable us to be more positive in the types of players we try to attract. I think we would have a chance at someone like Raphinha or Ward Prowse as they haven’t really been courted by the so called bigger clubs like say a Rice has been. Also, the problem with Rice (who will probably end up at Chelsea or Man Utd) is that it will take £100m to get him and we could easily find someone just as good for half of that or even for free (a Kessie or Kamara)

1 more signing like Bruno changes everything. It will be in players minds that a Chelsea/Man City type thing is happening and they'll want in on it. It was there to see with Botman and Carlos wanting to come but players of that next level up will see it as well. It also affects transfer fees, in January we paid a double premium, our wealth tax and relegation threatened desperation, the latter wont be there in the Summer should we stop up.