More transfer rumours

midds

TBF Keith Downie has a policy of only making statements about potential signings if he has the story stood up from more than one source.

For him to mention Lodi, suggests there is at least some evidence that we are in for him.

It's different on deadline day, as SSN just turns into a circus but otherwise Keith is decent.

10 minutes ago, STM said:

TBF Keith Downie has a policy of only making statements about potential signings if he has the story stood up from more than one source.

For him to mention Lodi, suggests there is at least some evidence that we are in for him.

It's different on deadline day, as SSN just turns into a circus but otherwise Keith is decent.

Usually true but he completely ruined his reputation with the Digne nonsense in January 

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Usually true but he completely ruined his reputation with the Digne nonsense in January 

Remind me? I can't recall that.

9 minutes ago, STM said:

No that why i asked? Did he make a claim on the Digne front?

Something along the lines of we have bid cash plus longstaff for Digne then literally about 5 minutes later saying we hadn’t made a bid. I can’t remember exactly but he had a complete nightmare. 

1 hour ago, Abacus said:

In this case, if there is basically an obligation to buy then maybe it wouldn't make much difference to Reims. It would be a sale in all but name.

It might be unrelated, but I read an article recently that Newcastle would be trying lots of inventive ways to stretch FFP. 

And another brief reference in the Times saying that one club (unnamed) would be backloading deals. I.e., relatively low up front sales, but loaded with incentives so that the fee was likely to increase retrospectively in future years of the contract.

The idea being that, in future years with a higher profile and more successful team, other revenues would have increased to offset it and therefore mean that FFP wasn't an issue.

The article didn't say that it was us doing that, but in a way it doesn't matter. Because, completely speculating here, I could definitely see us doing that.

It might be a risk for some clubs to gamble on that kind of growth, but with PIF's backing you'd have to think that growing our name and commercial income is very much part of their medium and long term plans.

Long and short of it is that things like this kind of loan deal would fit with that kind of strategy. [Speculation ends.]

Good post. I read in The Athletic that we would indeed be looking to structure deals this way, as well as spreading payments out also. As a matter of fact they said the payment for Bruno is spread across his contract and actually works out to us making 5 payments of £8 million per year.

The structure of the deal for Ekitike is particularly interesting i.e. loan with an obligation to buy. Particularly because Scamacca who we have also been linked with as a more senior striker to bring in recently extended his contract with the following reason being mentioned by Fabrizio Romano: 

“Yes, yes, he will leave Sassuolo.

“He extended the contract a few days ago but he will leave Sassuolo.

It was an extension to allow a potential loan with obligation to buy clause.

Scamacca's fee has been stated to be £34 million this summer. 

Scamacca is looking like a very strong possibility based on that info. The fee is much more realistic compared to the prices being quoted for Nunez, and is right around what we paid for Bruno, and Sassuolo are willing to structure the deal with a loan and obligation to buy clause better suiting FFP requirements.

Would not be at all surprised if we end up signing him now.

Edited by KaKa

31 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

He said a good left back is a good left back forever. 

Have I missed something here? I'm sure whatever the joke is, it's incredibly funny. :lol:

30 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Good post. I read in The Athletic that we would indeed be looking to structure deals this way, as well as spreading payments out also. As a matter of fact they said the payment for Bruno is spread across his contract and actually works out to us making 5 payments of £8 million per year.

The structure of the deal for Ekitike is particularly interesting i.e. loan with an obligation to buy. Particularly because Scamacca who we have also been linked with as a more senior striker to bring in recently extended his contract with the following reason being mentioned by Fabrizio Romano: 

“Yes, yes, he will leave Sassuolo.

“He extended the contract a few days ago but he will leave Sassuolo.

It was an extension to allow a potential loan with obligation to buy clause.

Scamacca's fee has been stated to be £34 million this summer. 

Scamacca is looking like a very strong possibility based on that info. The fee is much more realistic compared to the prices being quoted for Nunez, and is right around what we paid for Bruno, and Sassuolo are willing to structure the deal with a loan and obligation to buy clause better suiting FFP requirements.

Would not be at all surprised if we end up signing him now.

Do you rate Scamacca and think he’d cut it in the PL ?

That's how a lot of big deals in Italy are done these days - and is a well trodden path specifically with Sassuolo selling to big Italian clubs (Locatelli to Juve, Politano to Inter off the top of my head). So I certainly wouldn't think it means anything relating to us. If anything it points more to Scamacca going to one of the big 3 in Italy. If they do sell him abroad they're more likely to push for money upfront (since it is there to be had).

In terms of the player himself I honestly think he's likely to flop abroad. This season is his first real breakthrough season (despite being a regular scorer at youth level). He's got loads of good attributes and scores some absolutely spectacular goals but is still very raw and has games where he might as well not be on the pitch. Also has a bit of personal baggage with his family life that seems to follow him around. I suppose it might actually be good for him to leave Italy in that sense though.

6 hours ago, sempuki said:

Lots of Ekitike rumours today. Loan to buy which makes sense.

Him and Lodi seem to be persistent rumours, it leads me to think we must have a serious interest. Both very exciting signings I think.

46 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

That's how a lot of big deals in Italy are done these days - and is a well trodden path specifically with Sassuolo selling to big Italian clubs (Locatelli to Juve, Politano to Inter off the top of my head). So I certainly wouldn't think it means anything relating to us. If anything it points more to Scamacca going to one of the big 3 in Italy. If they do sell him abroad they're more likely to push for money upfront (since it is there to be had).

In terms of the player himself I honestly think he's likely to flop abroad. This season is his first real breakthrough season (despite being a regular scorer at youth level). He's got loads of good attributes and scores some absolutely spectacular goals but is still very raw and has games where he might as well not be on the pitch. Also has a bit of personal baggage with his family life that seems to follow him around. I suppose it might actually be good for him to leave Italy in that sense though.

He's definitely just breaking through now, from a goal scoring point of view in the top league, and is for sure an emerging talent, but he's been highly thought of from his youth. And to be fair to him, he has mostly been with lesser teams previously and so hasn't perhaps had as many chances created for him. Only just turned 23 this year. Think these are the types of players we will be looking at.

Interestingly the CEO at Sassuolo said the following regarding a transfer for him:

“Inter have already informed us about their interest, but keep an eye abroad,” said Carnevali as relayed by Football Italia.

“Gianluca has received many offers from the Premier League.”

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Do you rate Scamacca and think he’d cut it in the PL ?

Haven't seen a lot of him, but I do like what I have seen, yeah. He's a big striker at 6 foot 5, but he's mobile and moves around the pitch and is more of a technical player with really nice touches and link up play. 

This is a decent write up on him:- https://www.scoutedftbl.com/best-young-football-players/gianluca-scamacca/

Edited by KaKa

54 minutes ago, TRC said:

Lodi seems to be the Trippier of this window, it was fairly nailed on we were getting Trippier early in December. 

I'd only want Lodi if Howe is contemplating a back three. Don't trust Lodi in a back four at all.