More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

But under Ashley, we were constantly told that we were about the only club that just did deals the "all the cash up front" way, and that almost all other clubs spread the payments.

I'm not sure we are moving any slower than other clubs though? Obviously we are paying a lot more attention to all the rumours etc around NUFC than Brighton for example. I'm not even sure how many other deals have been done in the PL - obviously Villa started off like an express train, Haaland has come in, doesn't seem to have been a huge amount anywhere else. We could have three confirmed by the end of this week (Targett, Ekitike, Botman).

We also seem to have to negotiate the "Newcastle premium" and the perception that other clubs might be inflating their asking price on the assumption that we're just going to chuck money about.

Guest HTT II
26 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Eriksen is class but I’m too predisposed to anxiety to watch him play for us 

I’d be worried of having a heart attack myself him playing for us!

46 minutes ago, buzza said:

Just read that we might be in for Dumfries from Inter Milan.

Dutch international left back, would really transform the way we play, specially if we turned to a 343

I'd be very surprised if we were in for any more fullbacks.

I'm not a massive fan of Dumfries like - not for the price he would cost. 

He's a strange player. Good athlete and amazing aerially - makes him a real weapon at the back post when playing as a right wing back. He was really bad first half of last season IMO but did settle eventually and started performing effectively in Inter's system.

But I'm still not convinced as a player. His skillset just seems all wrong. He almost at times looks like a CB playing as a wing back.

Perhaps he'd be better in a back four and more suited to English football.

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm not a massive fan of Dumfries like - not for the price he would cost. 

He's a strange player. Good athlete and amazing aerially - makes him a real weapon at the back post when playing as a right wing back. He was really bad first half of last season IMO but did settle eventually and started performing effectively in Inter's system.

But I'm still not convinced as a player. His skillset just seems all wrong. He almost at times looks like a CB playing as a wing back.

Perhaps he'd be better in a back four and more suited to English football.

He’d be better suited to Scottish football!

3 hours ago, gdm said:

Do Paquetta and Eriksen not play the same position? Genuine question - I've made an assumption both flirt about in the number 10 role. Odd that Edwards (tin hat on) says that the position Paquetta plays isnt a position we need to improve on atm. Then why are we linked with Eriksen?

Obviously I could be talking absolute waffles here. And most likely am.

I think it’s fairly obvious now that we do indeed have a budget we’re trying to keep within. I’m sure Howe would love to have Paqueta but sees CB, RW and a striker (possibly 2) as priority signings. Eriksen in on a free wouldn’t affect this summer’s spend so we can get him without spreading our budget too thin for the other positions.

Edited by McCormick

16 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Do Paquetta and Eriksen not play the same position? Genuine question - I've made an assumption both flirt about in the number 10 role. Odd that Edwards (tin hat on) says that the position Paquetta plays isnt a position we need to improve on atm. Then why are we linked with Eriksen?

Obviously I could be talking absolute waffles here. And most likely am.

I think that position isn't seen as the giant priority others (striker, RW, CB) are. Therefore they'd be happy to bring Eriksen in on a free, but don't want to commit the huge chunk of budget it would cost for Paqueta just yet. 

19 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

If we brought Eriksen in it would be as a 6 you would imagine. Paqueta would be an 8 or pushed further forwards. We could (should) go for both if we can imo.

As a 6 ? 

I'd go all out for Paqueta. Him and Bruno could be a brilliant midfield duo for many years to come. Both young and get on very well together.

Would rather we sign a cheaper DC than Botman as backup/one for the future behind Burn and Schär, if it means we could buy Paqueta.

Would be happy if we end up with theese signings this window: Targett, Paqueta, Ekitike, a backup CB and a RW(would prefer Diaby, but don't know if he is realistic).

34 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I think that position isn't seen as the giant priority others (striker, RW, CB) are. Therefore they'd be happy to bring Eriksen in on a free, but don't want to commit the huge chunk of budget it would cost for Paqueta just yet. 

If Paqueta is available, I reckon we'd find the money.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

I think it’s fairly obvious now that we do indeed have a budget we’re trying to keep within. I’m sure Howe would love to have Paqueta but sees CB, RW and a striker (possibly 2) as priority signings. Eriksen in on a free wouldn’t affect this summer’s spend so we can get him without spreading our budget too thin for the other positions.

It's sensible to go for Eriksen on a free as first choice in that position but if we don't get him I'm sure Paqueta will be somewhere on the list of other options. We're not going to spaff our whole FFP allowance in two windows but I doubt there is a fixed budget.

Keep having to remind myself that we won't be able to compete for the very best players yet and we'll have to bite our lips and watch them go to clubs already in the CL. Darwin Nunez and Bissouma being good examples.

The aim for the next season or two needs to be at the head of the pack just below them, top 6 or thereabouts. First need to close the gap, and tbh that will be pretty exciting in itself.