More transfer rumours

midds

That's the first I've heard of us still being in for Lingard. I imagine we'll go for him if we get his wage demands down to something reasonable. Not seen Tosin at all, anyone seen much of him at Fulham?

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The Tosin link is interesting, because Lascelles has also been linked with Fulham this morning.

If some kind of swap happens there, that would be a good deal for both parties. I like Tosin's game a lot. He's really quick and is also comfortable with the ball.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

The Tosin link is interesting, because Lascelles has also been linked with Fulham this morning.

If some kind of swap happens there, that would be a good deal for both parties. I like Tosin's game a lot. He's really quick and is also comfortable with the ball.

I don’t know anything about him but upon checking it seems he represented England at a few youth age groups. 

An Ashworth one maybe?

Just now, r0cafella said:

I don’t know anything about him but upon checking it seems he represented England at a few youth age groups. 

An Ashworth one maybe?

Yeah, he was very highly rated as a youngster. Was with Man City as a youth.

Pep liked him and promoted him to the first team, but there were just too many options ahead of him at Man City and so ultimately left for a first team opportunity in the prem with newly promoted Fulham.

Always felt after a few seasons he'd end up getting a move to a better club. He's going into the last year of his contract and so is probably looking for such a move. 

Could see him as a long term partner for Botman ... if Botman ever joins of course.

Of course we’d like some movement but it’s great that they have identified their priority targets and aren’t budging on them.

If I was either Etikite or Botman and seeing a calm club not throwing toys out of the pram because it’s not happening quickly, it would be reassuring?

Milan are the ones panicking if their itk  journalists are anything to go by.

I would be worried about PSG though, they could blow us out of the water with wages as FFP doesn’t apply to them seemingly 

Surely Lingard's demands are going to start coming down the longer he goes without a club? Could still see mileage in that, especially when we know we were bidding for him until the last day in January. Adarabioyo was linked a fair bit then, too, was he not? Nice to see some new (old) names chucked about, anyway, after what feels like eons of Botman and Ekitike.

21 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Surprisingly enough, it would be one of the more industrious trios in the league. Take a look at each of their statistical breakdowns on fbref.com, the last box shows their stats for pressures and tackles, and they all rank highly in those.

https://fbref.com/en/players/c17bfb65/Joelinton

https://fbref.com/en/players/82518f62/Bruno-Guimaraes

https://fbref.com/en/players/9b6f7fd5/Lucas-Paqueta

That’s fair enough but that’s a stat that gets pretty inflated when teams play like we were the last 6 months of the season, Willock and Longstaff actually have higher numbers than Joe does per 90. Playing a 3 of Bruno, Longstaff and Willock wouldn’t exactly fill me confidence that we have enough overall in midfield to stay in it vs a high energy press that they would be up against a lot of the time in the PL, I guess all I’m saying is that I think it’s got to run a bit deeper than what those stats suggest on the surface of things.

A 3 of Paqueta and Bruno ahead of a beast DM is dreamland stuff but also the most effective way to play them together imo. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Probably the 20/21 season which was effectively all behind closed doors? 19/20 though is definitely true.

👍🏻 19/20 was the final 3rd behind closed doors if I recall so it would depend when he got his goals that season. 

He’s got a great leap on him but never been overly impressed with him when faced with just the GK.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Surely Lingard's demands are going to start coming down the longer he goes without a club? Could still see mileage in that, especially when we know we were bidding for him until the last day in January. Adarabioyo was linked a fair bit then, too, was he not? Nice to see some new (old) names chucked about, anyway, after what feels like eons of Botman and Ekitike.

Absolutely will, especially if he’s getting no bites at his current wage demands.

I loathe FFP, I wish we would just ignore it and fight them in court. 

10 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, he was very highly rated as a youngster. Was with Man City as a youth.

Pep liked him and promoted him to the first team, but there were just too many options ahead of him at Man City and so ultimately left for a first team opportunity in the prem with newly promoted Fulham.

Always felt after a few seasons he'd end up getting a move to a better club. He's going into the last year of his contract and so is probably looking for such a move. 

Could see him as a long term partner for Botman ... if Botman ever joins of course.

I really like him. Very gifted athletically with his height and speed, also very decent on the ball. Seems like the kind of prospect that could have excelled in any position; currently looks like he could do a job anywhere in the backline.

Not interested in Lingard at all.  He is clearly more about the money than game time, otherwise he would have left MU years ago.  He is good but not worth smashing our wages structure to bits just because he is free and demanding loads of cash, even if we can afford him. 

7 minutes ago, Nine said:

That’s fair enough but that’s a stat that gets pretty inflated when teams play like we were the last 6 months of the season, Willock and Longstaff actually have higher numbers than Joe does per 90. Playing a 3 of Bruno, Longstaff and Willock wouldn’t exactly fill me confidence that we have enough overall in midfield to stay in it vs a high energy press that they would be up against a lot of the time in the PL, I guess all I’m saying is that I think it’s got to run a bit deeper than what those stats suggest on the surface of things.

A 3 of Paqueta and Bruno ahead of a beast DM is dreamland stuff but also the most effective way to play them together imo. 

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that a three of Bruno, Joe and Paqueta would not be good enough pressing?

After seeing how effectively we pressed against Arsenal with Bruno, Joe and Longstaff, I'd think Paqueta stepping in for Longstaff would be an upgrade if anything.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, his talent is way up there with some of the top players, but has just struggled with consistency and a clear role. He's the kind of player that is plenty good enough for where we are at right now, but could then even really find a higher level with Howe's style of individual coaching and direction.

He'd be a great alternative to Eriksen, and he can play out wide too. Like him a lot.

Apparently available for £14 million, which is pretty outrageous.

If that's a genuine price then I would say yes. He certainly has his problems though. He has some great skill but also has some pretty serious brain farts.

Is also (oddly) appalling at trying to control the ball if he's facing the pass (mostly if his back is to goal). If he's on the turn he's awesome. 

5 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I really like him. Very gifted athletically with his height and speed, also very decent on the ball. Seems like the kind of prospect that could have excelled in any position; currently looks like he could do a job anywhere in the backline.

I agree. I think he is an elite talent physically.

If he had come through at any other club he'd probably be an established top premier league player by now. At City he had Kompany, Laporte, Otamendi and I think Mangala all in front of him, which slowed his progress.

Honestly, it's the kind of clever signing clubs should be looking at, hopefully it's us.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

If that's a genuine price then I would say yes. He certainly has his problems though. He has some great skill but also has some pretty serious brain farts.

Is also (oddly) appalling at trying to control the ball if he's facing the pass (mostly if his back is to goal). If he's on the turn he's awesome. 

In my opinion he's best as a central midfielder in a midfield three, as one of the two more forward central midfielders (as a number 8). This is where he played for Leverkusen and he was an absolute terror.

It's never quite clicked for him at Dortmund because they either played him as a 6 i.e. too deep, in their 3-4-2-1. or as number 10 in various formations, where as you said, he is having to receive the ball facing the pass too often. They also occasionally used him out wide, where he probably has given his best at Dortmund, but then in that role he's not quite as influential. Dortmund hasn't really played a 4-3-3 setup since he joined, but it's really the setup that suits him really well.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

In my opinion he's best as a central midfielder in a midfield three, as one of the two more forward central midfielders (as a number 8). This is where he played for Leverkusen and he was an absolute terror.

It's never quite clicked for him at Dortmund because they either played him as a 6 i.e. too deep, in their 3-4-2-1. or as number 10 in various formations, where as you said, he is having to receive the ball facing the pass too often. They also occasionally used him out wide, where he probably has given his best at Dortmund, but then in that role he's not quite as influential. Dortmund hasn't really played a 4-3-3 setup since he joined, but it's really the setup that suits him really well.

Didn't he a lot on the left wing for Leverkusen?

I thought that's where he set up most of Havertz's goals from?

Anyway, yes, probs best in a 3. No where good enough defensively to be in a midfield 2.

Tbh, he's very much an "Arsenal' type player if you know what I mean. 

Can be great in games but won't necessarily influence the season.

9 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Didn't he a lot on the left wing for Leverkusen?

I thought that's where he set up most of Havertz's goals from?

Anyway, yes, probs best in a 3. No where good enough defensively to be in a midfield 2.

Tbh, he's very much an "Arsenal' type player if you know what I mean. 

Can be great in games but won't necessarily influence the season.

That last season at Leverkusen I recall him usually playing as the left side central midfielder in a midfield three, and so he probably often drifted into the half spaces on the left. I believe Leon Bailey played on the left wing proper that season.

And, yeah, I agree he can be a bit hit and miss, but I think adding his talent and ability to our current team would be a big coup. And if Eddie can improve his consistency that would be a game changer. 

Edited by KaKa

1 hour ago, Nine said:

I actually disagree with this. I don’t think that midfield 3 is industrious enough vs the better sides of the PL, it would probably work decently against the bottom 6-8 sides but would struggle against the rest. To play Bruno and Paqueta in the same midfield I think they need to both be the front 2 with a very good Fabinho type DM behind them, a lot of us have our heart set on Paqueta but for me I just can’t see how he fits into this side in his natural position if Bruno is to play as the DLP.

Have read up on Paqueta? He isn't lazy or just a flair player. He's one of the hardest working at pressing and winning the ball high up the pitch for an attacking midfielder. We've already seen Bruno and Joelinton being very hard working and nicking the ball. Paqueta would add to that, not be someone who needs protecting as a luxury.