More transfer rumours

midds

12 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Where's all this Eriksen talk coming from? Just off our odds dropping on sky? 

There was rumours weeks ago that Howe was meeting with him. Likely a lot of rubbish 

I think it's well known that we are one of the clubs keen on him. I just think he will either stay with Brentford or go to a club which will win trophies soon.

The only thing I can think is if we are willing to offer him a longer contract and bigger wages than other clubs.

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

Loyalty for playing the last 6 months and wanting one last contract? Righto. 

No, loyalty for taking a chance on him after his heart scare and you know general loyalty that one human being may hold towards a set of colleagues or fans to which they are affiliated.

Just don’t see the Brentford attraction for him. They have him a (6 month) chance after his surgery but he can do much better, can earn more, can try for trophies and play with better players elsewhere. Just don’t see him staying if he has options to go elsewhere.

Just now, Manxst said:

Just don’t see the Brentford attraction for him. They have him a (6 month) chance after his surgery but he can do much better, can earn more, can try for trophies and play with better players elsewhere. Just don’t see him staying if he has options to go elsewhere.

Fair enough. We will see.

Just now, STM said:

No, loyalty for taking a chance on him after his heart scare and you know general loyalty that one human being may hold towards a set of colleagues or fans to which they are affiliated.

But he’s not affiliated. They gave him

a 6 month contract to see them through the remainder of the season. Hardly long term. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

Been at Brentford as long as Bruno has been here. There's every chance he's made a similar connection.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

Been at Brentford as long as Bruno has been here. There's every chance he's made a similar connection.

Not if he values winning/playing in a decent team, or earning good money in the last contract he’ll probably get. 

Just now, Manxst said:

Not if he values winning/playing in a decent team, or earning good money in the last contract he’ll probably get. 

I've no doubt he'll have offers to consider, just saying it's naive to suggest he has no reason to stay at Brentford.

21 minutes ago, STM said:

Whilst I wouldn't rule out us signing another midfielder, I'm fairly certain that Shelvey will get a new contract with us.

He mentioned just wanting to be part of the transition between the past and the future. I think he will probably accept a lesser role in the next couple of years. I get the impression he is settled here.

Personally, I've got no problem with Shelvey being a squad player in the future.

It's gone very quiet with Shelvey. I don't know, think he would have been sorted out now if he was here long term. He is 30 years old now.

Both Dummet and Longstaff were sorted out pretty quickly towards the end of the season, but no deal in sight for Shelvey.

Guess we'll find out soon enough though.

He absolutely will not stay at Brentford. This will be his last big move, and with all due respect Brentford will not be able to offer him what he wants which will either be trophies, money, or most likely both.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

I've no doubt he'll have offers to consider, just saying it's naive to suggest he has no reason to stay at Brentford.

But what is the reason to stay at Brentford? Simply because they gave him a contract last year? Every team has applauded him- it doesn’t seem that he has some special ‘connection’ at all? Brentford (with respect to them), haven’t got the fanbase, finances, possibility of success etc etc….he can do massively better. 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

But what is the reason to stay at Brentford? Simply because they gave him a contract last year? Every team has applauded him- it doesn’t seem that he has some special ‘connection’ at all? Brentford (with respect to them), haven’t got the fanbase, finances, possibility of success etc etc….he can do massively better. 

Of course he can, and I'm sure he will. Not the point I'm arguing.

Eriksen and Brentford both did a good thing for each other. Having said that I think Eriksen wants to end his career with something a bit more exciting than Brentford. Wherever that may be. 

Dont forget he was at Inter until his incident cut that short, hes 30 and has a heart issue he'll thank Brentford for the chance and move back up to his rightful level for the money and a chance at winning trophies.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Have you seen Bill Burr's "no reason" bit?

No idea what you’re talking about. Why would he stay at Brentford given his age, ability, and the fact he’ll have better offers? 

In the Douglas article it says hes not after big wages. He just wants to be a place where he can enjoy his football. Something i think he is at Brentford. I think after what happend to him all this ego/trophies/ambition thing goes out the window. 

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

In the Douglas article it says hes not after big wages. He just wants to be a place where he can enjoy his football. Something i think he is at Brentford. I think after what happend to him all this ego/trophies/ambition thing goes out the window. 

I accept that, but think he’ll enjoy his football more being at the upper end of the table and challenging. Just ‘enjoying football’- he might as well go back to Denmark.