More transfer rumours

midds

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

At some point we are going to have to pay over the odds for a player in order to get our main transfer target rather than one or two down the list. Diaby for example, if our scouts and data analysis believe he could be transformative for us and not only become a major player for us but in the game in general, they have to believe in that enough to think pushing the boat out will pay dividends regardless and thus just pay what it takes.

Of course we don’t want to be ripped off, and it will take convincing some players where wages will matter the most, but I’d rather we overspent on Diaby than say Harrison, although I’d be happy with the latter even if we overspent on him because he’d improve the team and eventually if we replaced him with someone better, he’d improve the squad as a squad player given us further strength in depth.

I also get we have one aye on FFP rules, but if we blew our load early on top players, meaning we have less to spend later on, we’d get to the levels we want to get to quicker and I’d rather we did that because we would then only need to add incrementally to the squad to keep sustaining and improving transfer window after transfer window.

On that note I’d be disappointed with a 10th place finish next season, especially given we finished 11th last season. Yes we have to be mindful of the 14 years under Ashley prior to the takeover, but I’d rather forget that and look forwards and remember where we NOW are which is a wealthy club, an ambitious one, totally professional on and off the pitch now and with a very good young manager. That and football is mostly about momentum and we are on a high right now after our strong finish to the season and shouldn’t be looking at mid-table, but the top 6 and European football which would directly also accelerate our commercial revenues and bring in extra money to combat FFP.

I do trust, however, the people in charge will do the right things and I won’t be panicking and I do believe we will spend more than we did in January. I also reckon the club are very self conscious of keeping on the good side of the PL and not going all out just yet until we have the right and correct people in at the club so should the PL and other clubs kick off, we will have top people who will know how to basically tell them all to suck it up and do one.

We’ve hired an excellent DOF and a seemingly top CEO on that front and we are also looking at hiring people in the legal departments. 

I said in an earlier thread that I'd be disappointed if we ended up treading water this season because we are wary of FFP, but there's still over a month to go in this window. I have to believe we've got at least one game changer forward incoming.

I'd have Wijnaldum back on loan like. Don't give a fuck what system you fit him in, he's quality and him and Bruno would soon find a rhythm.

And before you bother, I know wages and yada yada.

Guest HTT II
Just now, TRon said:

I said in an earlier thread that I'd be disappointed if we ended up treading water this season because we are wary of FFP, but there's still over a month to go in this window. I have to believe we've got at least one game changer forward incoming.

Go big or go home as is the saying. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, STM said:

I'd have Wijnaldum back on loan like. Don't give a fuck what system you fit him in, he's quality and him and Bruno would soon find a rhythm.

And before you bother, I know wages and yada yada.

I would too, vastly experienced, still quality and can play a number of roles and positions.

44 minutes ago, gdm said:

Or maybe Scamacca has already told us he doesn’t want to move to us

Or maybe we enquired and were told 60mill ?

Anyway, weren't there loads of reports questioning his suitability for the English game ?

Edited by madras

Sesko still sounds like the most likely target simply because he's a similar mold to Ekitike and can go wide as well through the middle. It has to be someone of that type even if not him specifically.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Sesko still sounds like the most likely target simply because he's a similar mold to Ekitike and can go wide as well through the middle. It has to be someone of that type even if not him specifically.

Not sure he can go wide can he ? I’m only basing that on peoples opinions on here who have watched a bit of him. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure he can go wide can he ? I’m only basing that on peoples opinions on here who have watched a bit of him. 

No idea either. Just grasping at straws tbh.

21 minutes ago, HTT II said:

At some point we are going to have to pay over the odds for a player in order to get our main transfer target rather than one or two down the list. Diaby for example, if our scouts and data analysis believe he could be transformative for us and not only become a major player for us but in the game in general, they have to believe in that enough to think pushing the boat out will pay dividends regardless and thus just pay what it takes.

Of course we don’t want to be ripped off, and it will take convincing some players where wages will matter the most, but I’d rather we overspent on Diaby than say Harrison, although I’d be happy with the latter even if we overspent on him because he’d improve the team and eventually if we replaced him with someone better, he’d improve the squad as a squad player given us further strength in depth.

I also get we have one aye on FFP rules, but if we blew our load early on top players, meaning we have less to spend later on, we’d get to the levels we want to get to quicker and I’d rather we did that because we would then only need to add incrementally to the squad to keep sustaining and improving transfer window after transfer window.

On that note I’d be disappointed with a 10th place finish next season, especially given we finished 11th last season. Yes we have to be mindful of the 14 years under Ashley prior to the takeover, but I’d rather forget that and look forwards and remember where we NOW are which is a wealthy club, an ambitious one, totally professional on and off the pitch now and with a very good young manager. That and football is mostly about momentum and we are on a high right now after our strong finish to the season and shouldn’t be looking at mid-table, but the top 6 and European football which would directly also accelerate our commercial revenues and bring in extra money to combat FFP.

I do trust, however, the people in charge will do the right things and I won’t be panicking and I do believe we will spend more than we did in January. I also reckon the club are very self conscious of keeping on the good side of the PL and not going all out just yet until we have the right and correct people in at the club so should the PL and other clubs kick off, we will have top people who will know how to basically tell them all to suck it up and do one.

We’ve hired an excellent DOF and a seemingly top CEO on that front and we are also looking at hiring people in the legal departments. 

Another good reason to perhaps take a chance and bring in 3 top, if relatively expensive, new signings……It may happen, just have to wait and see.

15 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

No read the previous pages the anxiety is noticeable throughout the city, Newcastle is a tinderbox right now.

Honestly man it's not healthy to have your emotional state this affected by transfer activity, or even sport in general. I am not in Newcastle but every Newcastle fan I know personally isn't worried in the slightest. They're all looking forward to a season where relegation is extremely unlikely and where we have a decent, competitive squad; a great manager and owners who have shown commitment and nouse in the transfer market and running the club. They're all excited about who else will sign and understand that this isn't like a toy shop where you can walk in and buy whatever shiny shit is on offer. Tinderbox ffs.

Guest HTT II

We don’t know what the plan is really, are we wanting another CF to play up there with and alongside Wilson or as another back up, a younger striker, or a wide forward type striker who can play on the left or right. I think I know how Howe wants to line up next season and have us play, but we’ve been linked to so many various types of strikers, forwards and wide players of differing abilities, size, pace or lack of and styles it’s hard to tell exactly really.

I had thought in the back of my head if we signed that young now at PSG lad, we’d have been happy to move ASM on and he would have occupied that left wing/left front 3 spot and then a Harrison or Diaby for the right side going 3 up front ala LFC but could revert to them back on the wings with Wilson alone up top or Wood and with Frazer and Almiron/Murphy as back up if we needed to go to Wilson/Wood upfront on his own and them as wingers as they don’t work as wide forwards in a front 3. Maybe that might still be the plan? That’s how I think he wants to ideally set us up.

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

Honestly man it's not healthy to have your emotional state this affected by transfer activity, or even sport in general. I am not in Newcastle but every Newcastle fan I know personally isn't worried in the slightest. They're all looking forward to a season where relegation is extremely unlikely and where we have a decent, competitive squad; a great manager and owners who have shown commitment and nouse in the transfer market and running the club. They're all excited about who else will sign and understand that this isn't like a toy shop where you can walk in and buy whatever shiny shit is on offer. Tinderbox ffs.

Take my advice and don't step back in Newcastle if there's no signings over the next few weeks. That sort of talk will get you a pitchfork in your belly.

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We don’t know what the plan is really, are we wanting another CF to play up there with and alongside Wilson or as another back up, a younger striker, or a wide forward type striker who can play on the left or right. I think I know how Howe wants to line up next season and have us play, but we’ve been linked to so many various types of strikers, forwards and wide players of differing abilities, size, pace or lack of and styles it’s hard to tell exactly really.

I had thought in the back of my head if we signed that young now at PSG lad, we’d have been happy to move ASM on and he would have occupied that left wing/left front 3 spot and then a Harrison or Diaby for the right side going 3 up front ala LFC but could revert to them back on the wings with Wilson alone up top or Wood and with Frazer and Almiron/Murphy as back up if we needed to go to Wilson/Wood upfront on his own and them as wingers as they don’t work as wide forwards in a front 3. Maybe that might still be the plan? That’s how I think he wants to ideally set us up.

Nah, even if Ekitike had came I think he'd have been purely development and playing because of injuries to others rather than regular starter.

4 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Were clearly concentrating on outgoings at the moment - not sure what the problem is

Rightfully so, with Gayle gone our squad is at 29 players. More work to be done.

Based on Howe's record at Bournemouth, I'd like us to sign at least one unfancied player. Someone who doesn't set the pulse racing, but will likely prove to be really good. Since the player in question needs to be unfancied, I've no idea who it may be and will probably go "eh?" when the deal is done.

If we ever sell ASM, I'd prefer it to be after he's played for a lineup with a multipronged attack and not one that lets the opposition double up on him.

Just like many others, I was wondering why the PIF isn’t splashing more cash in their negotiations to make a quicker jump in the quality of our players, then it occurred to me that the PIF is an investment fund after all. They have spent north of 150 millions in the transfer market so far in a span of 6 months, and if we count the staff appointments and the other investments in our facilities then that might be more than 200 million since the takeover. They might actually be thinking on their return of investment as well. I know sport washing and all but what if they were treating the takeover as a business that should reward a good return just like all of their other investments in an effort to diversify away from oil.

Fair play regulations might not be the only factor that limits our spendings, it might be the expected return in investment on those said transfers that may not make much sense to them. It’s a business after all. 

Edited by Solitude20

18 minutes ago, TRon said:

Take my advice and don't step back in Newcastle if there's no signings over the next few weeks. That sort of talk will get you a pitchfork in your belly.

I’m up there next week visiting @LFEEso I’ll have to make sure he’s on pitchfork watch with me. 

Guest HTT II
12 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Just like many others, I was wondering why the PIF isn’t splashing more cash in their negotiations to make a quicker jump in the quality of our players, then it occurred to me that the PIF is an investment fund after all. They have spent north of 120 millions in the transfer market so far in a span of 6 months, and if we count the staff appointments and the other investments in our facilities then that would easily be more than 150 million since the takeover. They might actually be thinking on their return of investment as well. I know sport washing and all but what if they were treating the takeover as a business that should reward a good return just like all of their other investments in an effort to diversify away from oil.

Fair play regulations might not be the only factor that limits our spendings, it might be the expected return in investment on those said transfers that may not make much sense to them. It’s a business after all. 

They are likely into us for 1bn or more right now given they had to pay the whole Bien Sports thing off. I don’t believe we are a profit making project for them though. If FFP didn’t exist, we’d probably be managed by Mourinho and signing Neymar right now. I’m glad we are being sensible and we are spending big still, but in a measured and considerate way. I think that’s down to PCP, without them, I do wonder how PIF would run things…