Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah it can be a really detrimental experience for the kids I don’t know what the solution is. They just need to

incorporate a holistic approach I think, more education, more support. 

Aye, don’t get me wrong, it’s a fantastic experience especially at a younger age, but the pressure after 10 years of age becomes too much. I look at it as great facilities, game time, decent coaching, play time for my boy basically. 

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

The bartender reference was tongue in cheek. The point is everybody is at risk of failure, and everybody sacrifices whatever else they could be doing otherwise. saying we need agents to protect people from being fleeced, when they're earning every penny they'll ever need, in a year, is just dumb.

It's not like I'm saying they shouldn't be paid at all.

So just because they may end up earning everything they will ever need doesn’t mean they don’t need represented? I recommend reading up on our own club’s history and how much say Milburn made compared to how much he made the club through his exploits, he could barely afford boots while the club directors were drinking the finest whiskey and cigars in the best suits and fine dining while players had to get the bus. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

But where do you want that money to go? If it doesn’t go to them it’s going to billionaires and execs, it won’t get passed onto the fans. I don’t see why they are singled out. To make it at that level you’re literally in a tiny percentile in the world, how is it unfair that they get the bulk of the money that they themselves generate? 

I'd like that money to stay in the pockets of the [regularly, not just subject to the risk, fleeced] fans. In the from of reduced ticket pricing, reduce replicas strips. Etc.

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

Any good ?

Very. Had a pretty bad injury a while ago but is back on track now. Can play all positions in a front three. Very very talented. Only a matter of time before he is playing for France I reckon. Should buy him now as in a year or two he will probably cost double.

Edited by Ikon

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

So just because they may end up earning everything they will ever need doesn’t mean they don’t need represented? I recommend reading up on our own club’s history and how much say Milburn made compared to how much he made the club through his exploits, he could barely afford boots while the club directors were drinking the finest whiskey and cigars in the best suits and fine dining while players had to get the bus. 

Bit patronising. Like I said earlier, the argument that their careers are short has existed since it was actually a valid argument, but there have been annual improvements based upon this argument ever since and it's just parody now. 

How much are we talking about the players getting fleeced without agents? Surely all that matters is that the player is happy with his wage.

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Bit patronising. Like I said earlier, the argument that their careers are short has existed since it was actually a valid argument, but there have been annual improvements based upon this argument ever since and it's just parody now. 

How much are we talking about the players getting fleeced without agents? Surely all that matters is that the player is happy with his wage.

I don’t buy their careers are short once they make it and earn millions, they can when retired and usually do, end up on the football gravy train as pundits or whatever and earn good or do something else, I’m mainly on about academy kids and youngsters when it comes to the game not looking out for them and no-one wants to be fleeced, an agent is sadly essential whether you’re Longstaff or Neymar otherwise clubs will fuck you over and who do we pay to watch? Players, they are the stars!

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I don’t buy their careers are short once they make it and earn millions, they can when retired and usually do, end up on the football gravy train as pundits or whatever and earn good or do something else, I’m mainly on about academy kids and youngsters when it comes to the game not looking out for them and no-one wants to be fleeced, an agent is sadly essential whether you’re Longstaff or Neymar otherwise clubs will fuck you over and who do we pay to watch? Players, they are the stars!

Well, my apologies but we were talking about A 20 year old negotiating a possible £30-40k per week contract. I can certainly come onside with your argument. But the PFA should be taking care of that. 

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Fleeced is still fleeced even if the amount they get at the end is sizable, I think the owners would leverage the fuck out of players, and try to screw them. You can make jokes about a “pittance”‘of 30k a week but are they not entitled to earn their worth? Workers earning the most is a GOOD thing 

Who's joking? 

Guest HTT II
Just now, ManDoon said:

If I had my way, the workers at every single mega corp would be getting the full value of their Labour, not having it extracted from them. However that isn’t the case, so why are we wanting the workers in this particular instance to not?

Is it bullshit Amazon pays 8 pound and hour and Jeff Bezos makes billions from that Labour yes. Would I like them to be paid more, yes. Am I glad footballers are getting what they generate through their own work, also

yes. 

Even players I don’t rate or dislike, deserve whatever they get given how much they have put in to get to where they are. So long as they remain professional and give their all for their team of course.

42 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Should just go for Gouiri instead who we have been linked with. 

Yeah, Gouiri would be a heck of an alternative option.

The only thing is though, he definitely would be too good to come in as a backup IMO.

I get the impression we are looking at a young backup option like Ekitike, and some of the others we've been linked with that are in a similar mould have been Broja, Goncalo Ramos, Joao Pedro and Arnaud Kalimuendo.

Guest HTT II

Just for context, Mike Ashley has made more from NUFC than any player ever has or likely will from playing for us and has most likely never kicked a ball in his life never mind being able to. I know where I want my money going to, same with my taxes…

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, Gouiri would be a heck of an alternative option.

Big fan of Gouiri. Bit cliched to say it, as it’s the comparison he gets most often, but he genuinely gives me Benzema vibes; extremely talented footballer.

2 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Big fan of Gouiri. Bit cliched to say it, as it’s the comparison he gets most often, but he genuinely gives me Benzema vibes; extremely talented footballer.

Yeah, he certainly is. I'm generally a fan of footballers with North African heritage. Their attacking players just tend to have that unique flair to their game.

Guest HTT II

I have to say, I’d love us to sign some African players, whether from there or of African heritage, they to me are the new Brazilians, so much flair and attacking instinct. Sadly I know fuck all about such players.

Just seen this news, it seems a bit of a waste to spend so long trying to sign him to not get a deal done now. 

I get not being ripped off by agents, however this is the same for all clubs, and most manage to get big deals done (as this is how football works nowadays, like it or not) or don't take six months to realise they are being played.

I still think it'll get done tbh. It's not a positive if we have to go further down Howe's wishlist, however it might try to be spun.

Edited by Sean

For the first time in about 15 years I've got complete and total faith in the people trying to sign players for the club. I didn't have it in January as they were still a bit of an unknown quantity at the time but they absolutely delivered 100% when they needed to. That urgency, understandably, isn't there this summer as it's a different situation with different aims. 

Under Ashley there was always the nagging doubt about players being bought for the wrong reasons plus they were clearly sketchy, dishonest and shady as fuck. Wouldn't have trusted them to buy a packet of fucking crisps the fucking arseholes. But this is different, the trust is now there and if they walk away from the deal for this kid then fair enough, I'll trust them. If they're trying to force a better deal by leaking shit then fair enough, I'll trust them. If they're already working on another deal for a different player that we don't even know about then fair enough, I'll trust them.

Basically I'm chilled as fuck about this window, have total faith in the people running the gaff and I trust them to get it right more often than not. It's much, much nicer this way and I like it :)