Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The striker that has scored for fun everywhere, including internationally, except for Mike Ashley's Newcastle? 

I don't think he's ever done it in the PL has he? With us or Fulham. Pretty sure his most recent season in the prem was abit shitty.

Edited by BonesJones

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Not a massive fan of his. Looks slow and  lazy in the press; doesn’t really have the athletic gifts you’d expect of a young a Nigerian striker. Seems decent technically though.

I disagree. This was one of many decent performances last season. 

First goal at 0:07 presses well and runs away from the defenders to score.

Second goal at 3:15 shows really good athleticism at his size (6ft4 and 84kg) for the overhead kick.

Edited by KaKa

6 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

I don't think he's ever done it in the PL has he? With us or Fulham. Pretty sure his most recent season in the prem was abit shitty.

He didn’t do bad in our relegation season did he? 10/11 goals summat like that?

8 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Scored 9 goals in his first season in the prem with us under McClaren who was rubbish. And then scored 11 with Fulham the first season they came back up with him.

Second time around with Parker at Fulham, he wasn't really played in the first team consistently with Fulham and so only managed 3.

Considering the quality of teams he's played with his record in the prem is respectable. I think next season will probably be his best though, as Marco Silva really rates him and has built the team around his strengths.

Im in 2 minds now about Ekitike.

If his agent is being an arse now - how much of an arse is he going to be if the lad signs and develops as expected?

Are we then gonna have a player being hawked around transfer window?

Getting the Loic Remy’s about him. Reckon someone like him is what we need currently. He or is agent looking to land elsewhere thinking short term . If we land him his commitment will always have suspicions so he’ll of put pressure on himself to deliver whereas before the fans probably would’ve been more patient with a younger player. Remy backed himself up in his year with us. This kid would have to.

14 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Im in 2 minds now about Ekitike.

If his agent is being an arse now - how much of an arse is he going to be if the lad signs and develops as expected?

Are we then gonna have a player being hawked around transfer window?

Think if he does join, him or his agent would spend every minute trying to get the big move to London/Manchester/Liverpool. He's behaving exactly as N'Zogbia did after a couple of years here....only to end up at Wigan. Agent or none, ultimately it's the player who puts the signature on the contract and actually has the final say on a move. If he's not interested then so be it.

We saw what happened last time when we signed a player who didn't actually want to come and it cost us badly.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

Think I'm all in on Joshua Zirkzee now. Really like his profile.

18 goals and 13 assists in all competitions for Anderlecht, in his first experience of first team football last year, was the most goal contributions by any player under 21 outside of Haaland, Vinicius and Adeyemi.

I would be happy to move on to someone like him if we are done with Ekiteke, but I still think we will leave the door open long enough for his agent to come back with a deal. He's a long term target and I think it's for good reason. No problem at all holding off bringing someone else in for another week if we think we can still get our primary target.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

Think I'm all in on Joshua Zirkzee now. Really like his profile.

18 goals and 13 assists in all competitions for Anderlecht, in his first experience of first team football last year, was the most goal contributions by any player under 21 outside of Haaland, Vinicius and Adeyemi.

Any decent comps?

All i've seen is good penalty box finishes from crosses in a weak division. I like his size and box instincts though.

From the very little i've seen - i prefer Hugo. Hugo looks like he can play wide and likes a dribble.

If Howe, Ashworth et al still want Ekitike then so do I. Pretty sure they know a lot more about his quality, character and receptiveness to joining than any of us guessing. It's nice to have trust in those making the big decisions, for the first time in god knows how long. 

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Any decent comps?

All i've seen is good penalty box finishes from crosses in a weak division. I like his size and box instincts though.

From the very little i've seen - i prefer Hugo. Hugo looks like he can play wide and likes a dribble.

After seeing what Jonathan David and even Emmanuel Dennis have managed coming straight out of that division after producing well there, I'm not as quick to disregard a player's achievements over there, especially when the numbers are really good. In any case the guy has decent pedigree having come through at Bayern. Just got fed up of waiting for scraps of playing time behind Lewandowski.

Anyway, my favourite thing about the guy is definitely his link up play, which translated to the 13 assists he managed last season. The comp below kind of showcases more of that. Tends to link up really well and then arrive in the box to find space and finish.

31 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Any decent comps?

And he can spot a pass and release it early. I could see him getting a lot of assists. Looks like he has some football intelligence, I'm wondering if that might not be a big factor in why we have chased his signature persistently.

26 minutes ago, KaKa said:

After seeing what Jonathan David and even Emmanuel Dennis have managed coming straight out of that division after producing well there, I'm not as quick to disregard a player's achievements over there, especially when the numbers are really good. In any case the guy has decent pedigree having come through at Bayern. Just got fed up of waiting for scraps of playing time behind Lewandowski.

Anyway, my favourite thing about the guy is definitely his link up play, which translated to the 13 assists he managed last season. The comp below kind of showcases more of that. Tends to link up really well and then arrive in the box to find space and finish.

I like his touch and weight of pass. I like him.

53 minutes ago, Sean said:

If Howe, Ashworth et al still want Ekitike then so do I. Pretty sure they know a lot more about his quality, character and receptiveness to joining than any of us guessing. It's nice to have trust in those making the big decisions, for the first time in god knows how long. 

Hope you’re not one of these who slags wood off as well then are you?

17 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Hope you’re not one of these who slags wood off as well then are you?

Wood was a desperation buy, and it could be argued he paid off despite being massively overpriced. It's not really a fair comparison.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Wood was a desperation buy, and it could be argued he paid off despite being massively overpriced. It's not really a fair comparison.

I agree with every word you said - was just checking that the people that are saying trust in howe so Hugo must be good aren’t the same people who were slagging wood off.

4 hours ago, BennyBlanco said:

He didn’t do bad in our relegation season did he? 10/11 goals summat like that?

I don’t think he did badly either - I just don’t bite when Newcastle fans slag him off. 

30 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I agree with every word you said - was just checking that the people that are saying trust in howe so Hugo must be good aren’t the same people who were slagging wood off.

There is probably some degree of wiggle room between trusting someone, and thinking they are infallible. 

I trust that Wood will not see much game time this coming season. It was a desperation buy in very desperate times, and I'm sure Howe will have been disappointed with his individual contributions and inability to control a football or find a teammate with his flick-ons.

19 minutes ago, Sean said:

I trust that Wood will not see much game time this coming season. It was a desperation buy in very desperate times, and I'm sure Howe will have been disappointed with his individual contributions and inability to control a football or find a teammate with his flick-ons.

Don’t think it’s that black and white to be honest - I like to think we won so many games with him in the team rather than inspite of him.

If we had a light weight, easy to handle forward who wasn’t a handful - would our midfield have scored so many?

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Don’t think it’s that black and white to be honest - I like to think we won so many games with him in the team rather than inspite of him.

If we had a light weight, easy to handle forward who wasn’t a handful - would our midfield have scored so many?

Sounds weird but I always think someone else in his place would've completely changed what happened in every match, with no guarantee of the points we got. Like minor things such as he could've made a run that distracted an opposing player and then we scored, another player might have run in a slightly different angle and it didn't impact the game. Maybe I'm just being odd but for all we know those minut things made the difference.

Deserves all the credit for being part of the team that beat the drop and more. Don't rate him though!

26 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Sounds weird but I always think someone else in his place would've completely changed what happened in every match, with no guarantee of the points we got. Like minor things such as he could've made a run that distracted an opposing player and then we scored, another player might have run in a slightly different angle and it didn't impact the game. Maybe I'm just being odd but for all we know those minut things made the difference.

Deserves all the credit for being part of the team that beat the drop and more. Don't rate him though!

Can’t argue with any of that

8 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Can’t argue with any of that

For me every player involved deserves credit for turning that shit show around. Without them (and howe) we would be so much further behind in our 'project'. We wouldn't have signed Botman now. Bruno would be on his way. We couldn't attract anything decent and would be fighting in a difficult league to get out of.

Thank fuck reality is completely different. The mackems would be all over us, if their not already...