Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

10 hours ago, KaKa said:

I imagine the annoyance is down to them mucking about over the transfer, instead of being clear on either not wanting to join, or wanting to wait on PSG first. Instead the agent was apparently at one point not even answering calls.

See I think we've got to take responsibility for that, we should have been more clued up the situation. You can't blame a young lad for preferring his dream club. Maybe he should have turned us down earlier, but he probably wanted to keep all options open.

I just think we should have seen it coming after what happened in January and should never have allowed it to drag on so long. Hopefully now Ashworth is in place we won't get messed about as much in future.

Not too fussed he's gone PSG... but I have strange anger at seeing this thread bumped knowing he's never coming, so don't want to tbe reminded of him. The irony being I'm bumping this thread to moan about my irrational displeasure of seeing this thread bumped. :lol:

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Well one thing seems pretty clear, PSG and our scouting teams both seem to think Ekitike has more potential than him. 

Yeah, and that's fair enough. Ekitike was clearly our number one choice, but he's not interested in joining unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Errrr, I obviously did. Glad to hear you rate him, if he’s a genuine possibility. 

Hey, fair enough. Think he looks really good and would be a nice alternative since Hugo doesn't fancy it. Has already played 2 full seasons in Ligue 1 as a teenager too, with a decent goalscoring and assists record (21 goals and 6 assists) considering his age. Agree to disagree on this one.

2 hours ago, Zero said:

There were the likes of Owen Anelka or even CR7 Messi that able to make the big jump around 17-18 years old. However there were much more examples of players that were unable to make it and ruined their career. If we want to find an example, this guy is just like our Carroll - shined for us in EPL for a few months, got a great move to the top team, and then unable to cope with the change in system since he was still very raw at that time.

If Carroll stayed for 1-2 more seasons he should have a much better career since he could continue to learn the trade here, even taking into consideration of his injuries.

Carroll's was all injury related though? Even if he wasn't good enough for Liverpool he'd have been good enough for a mid-table West Ham at the very least if he'd stayed fit.

41 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, and that's fair enough. Ekitike was clearly our number one choice, but he's not interested in joining unfortunately.

I'm just a bit pissed at how much of our time him and his agent seem to have wasted. Hopefully in a year or so we can look back and think we ended up getting someone with at least as much potential.

21 minutes ago, Sean said:

I'm just a bit pissed at how much of our time him and his agent seem to have wasted. Hopefully in a year or so we can look back and think we ended up getting someone with at least as much potential.

Yeah, think their behaviour was really poor. It's okay not to want to join us, but why not just say so? Or say you wanted to see if other clubs came in first, but would then consider our offer after? Just simple courtesy.

Showing interest in him is a compliment to him and his abilities, so no idea why they would treat us so poorly. Just so unnecessary.

3 hours ago, Joey47 said:

Wonder if it will piss of MBS that the Qataris beat us to one of our top targets?

Seems to me PSG have given his agent a backhander to ensure we walked away by making completely unreasonable agent fee demands, which then clears the way for PSG to snap him up cheaply with yet another brown envelope changing hands once the transfer is complete.

42 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Seems to me PSG have given his agent a backhander to ensure we walked away by making completely unreasonable agent fee demands, which then clears the way for PSG to snap him up cheaply with yet another brown envelope changing hands once the transfer is complete.

They wouldn't need to do all that man. The agent and Ekitike just needed to refuse to join us or answer our calls or whatever. They did this back in January as well. They always seemingly wanted to go elsewhere.

Edited by KaKa

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

They wouldn't need to do all that man. The agent and Ekitike just needed to refuse to join us or answer our calls or whatever. They did this back in January as well. They always seemingly wanted to go elsewhere.

PSG must have let them know they were interested. We were their back up option if the PSG thing didn't happen. There's nothing wrong with that, just a shame because most people thought PSG interest was lukewarm. When you go for the best young talent around the world you can't expect there will be no competition.

12 minutes ago, KaKa said:

People have some mad conspiracies like. Giving the agent backhanders and brown envelopes that they could just give him in agent fees :lol:

12 minutes ago, TRon said:

PSG must have let them know they were interested. We were their back up option if the PSG thing didn't happen. There's nothing wrong with that, just a shame because most people thought PSG interest was lukewarm. When you go for the best young talent around the world you can't expect there will be no competition.

Yeah, I just don't think there were any backhanders or anything like that.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I just don't think there were any backhanders or anything like that.

Well that's just the rage factor.

"WhaAA? The skinny little drip didn't want to come here over Paris?!! Fuck him and his bent agent!!" 

I think because he was out top target and Ashworth wasn't in place sooner we probaby let him and his agent string us along and take the piss a bit too much. 

I reckon a lot of the frustration is how much time we've wasted on this one and that's just being directed towards the player. 

Happens in a lot of fields that you can have multiple job offers and you take your time deciding, or one company takes longer to make a formal offer, etc. The timing coinciding with holidays etc probably means looser timetables. We've also no idea if decision deadlines were put out etc.

I know he's only been at it for a few weeks but it's not like Ashworth would go for the Ashley/Charnley days of pursuing one target at a time, surely, so I'm just fantastically unbothered by the "wasting" of time here. Que sera sera.

Edited by thomas

Him and his agent are complete throbbers. Glad to see the end of this sorry saga and will be delighted when he’s a goal every four games striker plugging away for FC Brest, having been absolutely ruined by the Qatari Crew.

Never wanted this guy anyway. Much rather have a proven star signing if thats possible. Really don’t wanna rely on a injury prone and a young talent, especially when a made a big bet with my friend for next season :D

It doesn’t bother me at all that this thing has been dragged out, I trust that we have a competent management that hasn’t just been waiting around like idiots for this guy.