Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

Was buzzing with Trips as first signing and then loving all these bids last week but fed up now of reading about all the rejection. Keep telling myself I'll just wait for done deals but then back online 5 mins later to see who's linked.

No DoF was a mistake - and temporary consultant Hammond didn’t exactly come with ringing endorsements - as was not replacing the scouting team, for me.  I wonder if Nickson has a framed Joelinton picture with a used £40m cheque above his mantelpiece?

Plenty of time to go, of course.  If there’s no-one here by Thursday night then that would be concerning. 

Just now, MarkyMark said:

No DoF was a mistake - and temporary consultant Hammond didn’t exactly come with ringing endorsements - as was not replacing the scouting team, for me.  I wonder if Nickson has a framed Joelinton picture with a used £40m cheque above his mantelpiece?

Plenty of time to go, of course.  If there’s no-one here by Thursday night then that would be concerning. 

Do you think a DoF would have been able to persuade Lille to let Botman go for less ?

We are being held by everyone knowing we can spend and the desperation of our league position.

FWIW had we been mid table I reckon Botman would be here already at a lower price than we've offered 

13 minutes ago, RS said:

Never seems to be the same shenanigans  when the “big” clubs sign players. None of this rejected shite. They just seem to get the deal done. 

What? :lol:

Did you miss the Kane to Man City nonsense or even how long it took them to sort Grealish? Or Man Utd haggling to agree the Sancho fee as well this summer?

Come on people this is getting ridiculous.

Just now, KaKa said:

Did you miss the Kane to Man City nonsense or even how long it took them to sort Grealish? Or Man Utd haggling to agree the Sancho fee as well this summer?

They are also used to over paying, remember the story of themsigning Fred? Like us with Luque but bigger numbers.

6 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, we need to instill some proper internet transfer comment Ekitike

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Do you think a DoF would have been able to persuade Lille to let Botman go for less ?

We are being held by everyone knowing we can spend and the desperation of our league position.

FWIW had we been mid table I reckon Botman would be here already at a lower price than we've offered 

I don’t - though I do think a DoF would’ve understood how to deal with other clubs, and may have known to walk away earlier if there was no chance of a sensible deal in the offing.

DoF exist for a purpose - as has been pointed out elsewhere, football transfers are complicated transactions these days.  An expert would’ve been useful.

Too late now of course - though this isn’t hindsight; I think plenty of us thought a DoF was a priority months ago. 

I don’t - though I do think a DoF would’ve understood how to deal with other clubs, and may have known to walk away earlier if there was no chance of a sensible deal in the offing.

DoF exist for a purpose - as has been pointed out elsewhere, football transfers are complicated transactions these days.  An expert would’ve been useful.

Too late now of course - though this isn’t hindsight; I think plenty of us thought a DoF was a priority months ago. 

Who's to say we don't have an expert in that position?

And also, we might be the richest owners in the world, but we're also second bottom of the league. Of course it's going to be harder to attract top quality. People seem to think this is Football Manager. Comments like "£30million + add ons should do it" are hilarious... as if anyone on this board has any idea whatsoever of what it takes to buy a player and run a club.

I partially agree but I don't think it would've stopped sellers trying it on. As I've said ,I think our league position adds a variable where sellers can hang out for that bit more. It's also made worse by being played out in public.

3 minutes ago, MarkyMark said:

Plenty of us were ridiculed for saying it was an error too.

5 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Very Strong defensive contribution according to Who Scored:kurt:

When you watch those YouTube videos, you can see that immediately. Very good at winning the ball high up the pitch and hitting them on the counter.

There is very little value in the January window and especially considering our obvious desperation and money this is absolutely inevitable. Honestly teh thing that is most annoying really is that it does feel like our club leaks like a sieve. I appreciate most comes from agents etc far from the control of our club but i do think th eclub wants to keep journos friendly so talk a lot and it just means all the missed targets are very obvious

6 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Who's to say we don't have an expert in that position?

And also, we might be the richest owners in the world, but we're also second bottom of the league. Of course it's going to be harder to attract top quality. People seem to think this is Football Manager. Comments like "£30million + add ons should do it" are hilarious... as if anyone on this board has any idea whatsoever of what it takes to buy a player and run a club.

Given that we don’t have a DoF, and also given that we’re actively looking to recruit one, it is a pretty safe assumption to say we don’t have an expert (or anyone) in that position.  They temporarily appointed Hammond, who has a terrible reputation.  Staveley and Reuben are not football transfer experts. 

And you won’t find me anywhere saying ‘just give them what they want / £30m + add-one’ etc.  I’m not daft - I do think these matters are complicated.  And given the timescales we’re working with, this isn’t a great time for amateurs to learn. 

I don't know why people think without a DOF you can't sign players. There are numerous clubs that don't even have one in place. Besides we know for a fact that there are football people working alongside the new owners to assist in bringing in players, so I doubt that is where the issue lies.

I just think clubs are trying to apply as much pressure as they can to get the highest fees possible. From their point of view it is only the start of January and so they are in no hurry and are looking to go for higher fees knowing that we are eager to tie deals up quickly as we can't really afford to wait until the end of the month.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

You don’t need one but you need someone experienced within football to broker deals, whether that is a DoF or not. They also bring tons of contacts/players they’ve watched etc.

Imo it was a necessary thing for this window as we needed to act sharp and decisively. I mean is Nickson our head of recruitment at the minute? 

Yes, we have an experienced head of recruitment in Nickson and brought in Hammond for added experience and assistance in brokering deals for this month.