Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

Never thought I'd be saying this, but realistically, I'd rather sign Solanke over this guy, I think it would be too much pressure on a new potentially none english speaking 19yr old to be thrown into a relegation battle with our fans demand. I'd probably look elsewhere over Solanke but comparing the two, at least Solanke has played in the PL and has some experience, and also experienced relegation, hes doing ok this season. But the post was more on the youngster coming here and being totally overwhelmed and it not work.

If it goes ahead I hope I'm very wrong.

Feels like this is essentially a Perez type signing but paying through the nose and gambling we are ahead of the curve getting him for half the price he will be worth in a year or two. No way he will be our focal striker signing. That would be a mental move in terms of needless pressure and unrealistic expectations for the lad.

Sure we have done lots of homework on him but feels like we struck out way down low on our list of targets.

12 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Never thought I'd be saying this, but realistically, I'd rather sign Solanke over this guy, I think it would be too much pressure on a new potentially none english speaking 19yr old to be thrown into a relegation battle with our fans demand. I'd probably look elsewhere over Solanke but comparing the two, at least Solanke has played in the PL and has some experience, and also experienced relegation, hes doing ok this season. But the post was more on the youngster coming here and being totally overwhelmed and it not work.

If it goes ahead I hope I'm very wrong.

Solanke, despite his form at a lower level, is already tried and tested in the PL and he was shite. This lad may be mint. He may not be. I'd rather take the risk personally.

Just now, toontownman said:

Feels like this is essentially a Perez type signing but paying through the nose and gambling we are ahead of the curve getting him for half the price he will be worth in a year or two. No way he will be our focal striker signing. That would be a mental move in terms of needless pressure and unrealistic expectations for the lad.

Sure we have done lots of homework on him but feels like we struck out way down low on our list of targets.

I think generally, we might want to hold off such expensive gambles until we have a proper scouting/youth development set up in place. 

I'm torn between "good enough old enough" and "need experience, not fair to put such pressure on a young kid". :lol: 

I can understand the urgency of just getting someone in as long as they are marginally better than our current back-up options, but can also understand that regardless of relegation predicament, management and owners surely don't want a bunch of average soon to be past it players on long, big contracts taking a birds eye view of where we want to be in a few years.

If pressed, I'd probably go for good enough old enough and prefer we gambled on talented youth. I don't think it's wise to focus on getting a back-up for the back-up, or realistic to expect two strikers in January considering how important it is that we get a CB & MC in as well.

Saw a video of him, and he doesn't look ready for football at a senior level. Obvious talent, but will take a year or so to fill out and adjust to PL football IMO. Surprised the fee is as high as £30m at this stage for an undeveloped player, but he does look exciting. 

This guy does look rapid, but very raw. Could be a stroke of genius singing, but horrible feeling he's way too young and inexperienced for what he's walking in to here. Pressure would be insane on him.

If Brighton and Brentford are involved, it at least sounds like he's for sale! Brentford are big on data processing, so they must have found some good metrics for him.

I had a look at the squad on .com the other day when Gayle did not appear for the Cambridge game, and our forwards are listed as

Wilson : injured (and injury prone)

Gayle : unfavoured/injured/feck knows ...... and

Joelinton: starting in midfield

That's it, three players. There is ASM of course, but he is wasted there. We need him as a door opener. I thought there'd be a youngster or two waiting in the background but no. If there is, he didn't make the list.

Since we need more than one striker, I'm perfectly happy for anyone who'd normally be a #2 or #3 to come in now. We can worry about a new #1 striker later in the window. At this point, we just need bodies for the big games we have to play.

10 minutes ago, gdm said:

Get this kid in. Sounds the kind of hot prospect we only dreamed about under Ashley 

Just to clarify, it's the guy on the left that we're after? Not sure the other one has what it takes to be our mane man.