Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

No longer believe we are actually looking at this geezer. Every hour a new club is cited as being interested in him.

Someone is trying to drum up interest and is using Newcastle's name to make for splashy articles and to try and push for a big fee. 

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

We wouldn't if they'd just been taken over and considered the richest club in the world though.

If we're buying him to try and avoid relegation then, yeah, I get that. If we're buying him as we've recognised him as one of the most talented young prospects in Europe it's not really an issue is it.

He'll go to Dortmund and we'll buy him in 3 years for £145m

In my opinion we should only be buying players that will help us avoid relegation. Fuck everything else right now as it's a waste of resources (time, people and money) during a short and difficult window.

If we don't get relegated then we can enjoy having some wealth and chasing the most exciting prospects in Europe in the summer and beyond.

Edited by bobbydazzla

18 minutes ago, TRon said:

Why? Are we going to run out of money? We can still sign strikers for right now as well. 

We are, as it happens.

We're being quoted £40m+ for anyone we look at, including this kid. We can maybe spend £200m this window. We need lots of players.

Sure, we could spread costs over many years by amortising the cost or spreading the payments, but it still doesn't change that FFP will affect what we can spend and that if we DO blow everything now then we'll have sod-all to push on with in the summer.

We have money, but we have to be a bit careful and get good deals for players who can make a difference now.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

We are, as it happens.

We're being quoted £40m+ for anyone we look at, including this kid. We can maybe spend £200m this window. We need lots of players.

Sure, we could spread costs over many years by amortising the cost or spreading the payments, but it still doesn't change that FFP will affect what we can spend and that if we DO blow everything now then we'll have sod-all to push on with in the summer.

We have money, but we have to be a bit careful and get good deals for players who can make a difference now.

We can spend much more than 200m.but we won't, and rightly so. 

7 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

We are, as it happens.

You’re forgetting that is based on how the club currently stands and not on any forthcoming sponsorship/commercial revenue. That could/should by quite significant.

11 minutes ago, Ikon said:

4 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You’re forgetting that is based on how the club currently stands and not on any forthcoming sponsorship/commercial revenue. That could/should by quite significant.

I mean I literally said we could spend more than £200m. I'm aware of how it works. But I also said why we should not. Sure, there's maths out there that says we can twist our way to £5-600m spend but then we'll end up like Everton, stuck in the middle and unable to improve until we offload some players.

Sure, sponsorship could push it all up a bit further but it only adds a bit more, it doesn't completely rewrite the rules and anyway the other clubs are looking at ways to clamp down on that.

Point remains, we do NOT have unlimited money - not in this transfer window or any others. If we had the full weight of PIF to just spend £800bn on whatever we wanted with no consequences then play on, but that's not the case here by a long way. There is no scope in the maths to spend £40m on a player who won't play for us for the rest of the season.

Edited by Chris_R

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

I mean I literally said we could spend more than £200m. I'm aware of how it works. But I also said why we should not. Sure, there's maths out there that says we can twist our way to £5-600m spend but then we'll end up like Everton, stuck in the middle and unable to improve until we offload some players.

Sure, sponsorship could push it all up a bit further but it only adds a bit more, it doesn't completely rewrite the rules and anyway the other clubs are looking at ways to clamp down on that.

Point remains, we do NOT have unlimited money - not in this transfer window or any others. If we had the full weight of PIF to just spend £800bn on whatever we wanted with no consequences then play on, but that's not the case here by a long way. There is no scope in the maths to spend £40m on a player who won't play for us for the rest of the season.

You said for the summer window, which by then availability for spending limits will have increased within FFP and will be totally different to what it is now. Nobody is expecting to spend 200 million this window, or if they do then they’re misguided.

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You said for the summer window, which by then availability for spending limits will have increased within FFP and will be totally different to what it is now. Nobody is expecting to spend 200 million this window, or if they do then they’re misguided.

Summer (if we can survive!) moves the needle a little, but not enough to change our entire strategy. It's just the next window. But if you think we cannot spend £200m this window, that just doubles down on the fact that we cannot buy this kid for £40m and send him back home for the rest of the year.

Whatever we can spend now, we need for now. Sure, if we get in an SC, DC (*2?), DMC, AMC and RW in the next couple of weeks then maybe we can start to look at these kind of deals if there's enough money left. But that feels optimistic right now.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Summer (if we can survive!) moves the needle a little, but not enough to change our entire strategy. It's just the next window. But if you think we cannot spend £200m this window, that just doubles down on the fact that we cannot buy this kid for £40m and send him back home for the rest of the year.

Whatever we can spend now, we need for now. Sure, if we get in an SC, DC (*2?), DMC, AMC and RW in the next couple of weeks then maybe we can start to look at these kind of deals if there's enough money left. But that feels optimistic right now.

Major incoming sponsorship/commercial revenue moves that needle quite a bit. I don’t expect them to spend £200 this window due to the very fact that it’s a hard window to get deals done, hugely inflated prices and players reluctant to come due to our position. I didn’t say they cannot spend it though, I’m quite sure if the restrictions I mentioned above were not in place, then in all likelihood they would.

40 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Right. And we are being told to do one for most of the players we are putting bids in for, so I have no problem in spending £30m on a potential future superstar, those are the sort of players we should be buying regardless. We are not going to be spending our quota this transfer window anyway, the way things are going. 

7 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Chris Wood coming up for a medical apparently according to a couple including the Edwards character.

Could mean we look less desperate for a forward so Reims don't have us so much over a barrel.

7 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Chris Wood coming up for a medical apparently according to a couple including the Edwards character.

You know what - I'll take anything atm.  Maybe that was their ploy- lower expectations.