Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

2 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

It would have been nice to have seen Thauvin within a proper setup, not the clown show we were running at the time. Talented player. Could say the same about a number of others from that era.

We also basically had to force Thauvin to come. 

2 minutes ago, Mountain said:

It's going to be a 200 mil summer I think.

200 mil is walking around money. Something to keep the wallet from floating away. :yao:

26 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

What’s the story here? 

Nowt really. Whenever he did presentations at the academy it always had Kasabian and shots from GOAL spliced into it. 

Super excited if we get him. I'd rather him than DCL or Toney. Can play wide with Wilson if needed, but up top as he develops. He looks similar in many ways to Wilson, so hopefully with his mentoring will grow. Looks technically and mentally top draw. - his awareness and calmness on the ball it great for his age also from those clips.

13 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Super excited if we get him. I'd rather him than DCL or Toney. Can play wide with Wilson if needed, but up top as he develops. He looks similar in many ways to Wilson, so hopefully with his mentoring will grow. Looks technically and mentally top draw. - his awareness and calmness on the ball it great for his age also from those clips.

I really rate DCL but this is rather exciting. Ground floor on a player with great potential.

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

Heard the fee has been agreed. 36m initial and further raise to 46m EUR.

Hope he can adapt quickly then. I am a bit pessimistic 

Does he have to if Wilson is healthy? Ultimately it has to pay off so he will need to play soonish.

Watched his highlight clips and his lanky build and technique remind me of a cross between Sammy Ameobi and Ayoze. 

I am unconvinced he is worth the price (from my own bullshit youtube scouting), and I hope I am wrong. 

If the fee being discussed is close to true, then again it would suggest that the budget is higher than Edwards and co have suggested - it would be incredibly risky to spunk half the budget on an unproven teenager from the French top flight when several positions could do with obvious strengthening.

I'm also assuming that Howe and the scouting team have seen far more impressive stuff from the lad than that youtube video suggests; I'm more than happy to place my trust in their process.  Signing the lad is still a gamble - all unproven young'uns are - and some won't pay off; but if the lad comes good, based on the clubs that apparently were after him, we could have a player on our hands.

2 hours ago, CaliMag said:

Watched his highlight clips and his lanky build and technique remind me of a cross between Sammy Ameobi and Ayoze. 

I am unconvinced he is worth the price (from my own bullshit youtube scouting), and I hope I am wrong. 

I have to admit I didn't see much of a player. Raw speed and talent, goals seemed a bit fortunate, scruffy and a possible purple patch of luck/form. That said, stats wise it's very effective for a teenager in a the top French league. I trust the club to make right call, and some like these you got to just try the gamble. If it pays off you may just have bought the next Henry or Mbappe etc.

I've just watched a YT video which raised the issue of whether he was 'ready for the top level'. It included his unsuccessful involvements in play as well, but if anything, I now feel more confident about this lad.

I think it's a characteristic of a lot of these gangly, long-legged players that their first touch isn't great, but they have decent technique once they have the ball under their control. He also seemed quite determined, stronger than I'd first thought, and able to spot and deliver to a team mate in a good position. 

I'm a bit disappointed that we've not gone for a player that's further along their learning curve, but clearly Howe has spotted something and sees the potential to coach him to the top level. 

He's not going into the first team initially. He's the young striker the club always mentioned we'd be looking to bring in.

I think Howe really likes his play and further potential a lot, which is why they were happy to spend so much, especially because he is still so young too. I also remember reading that a big part of Howe liking him is his defensive contribution, which stood out as being very high.

Edited by KaKa

To the tune of eastenders 

his name is a palindrome 

he’s French with a capital F

he scores goals with his feet 

huuuuugggoooo

fast clap for 6 seconds 

goals goals goals 

so many kicked goals 

huuuuuuugooooo

only cost 30 million - plus 

add

add

adddddddddd onnnnssssss

The window hasn't even opened yet man Cronky [emoji38]

We seem to have genuine interest in Calvert-Lewin and Toney, so I think a target man is probably still on the list. As Ekitike clearly isn't a target man (not yet anyway).

As for his goal haul being lucky, as I've seen a couple of posts about it, I think @ManDoon has a point about him looking very composed in a few of his goals. I'm obviously not putting him on Messi's level but you'll see with a lot of Messi's goals it looks like he has all the time in the world before putting it past the keeper as he doesn't panic and has the ability to get the ball under control if needed, Ekitike seems to have that quality about him.

Edited by Hanshithispantz