Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

A lot more than you think, the ones we see are filtered to the top of course, but read this very thread back and people were saying this kid was finished after a hamstring injury.

Get a bad injury in an academy and it’s curtains for you 

This is so true, when a youngster gets a bad injury unless they are a Rooney when they are under 18, most clubs just sack them off and they get disinterested or disheartened, get depression and end up out of the game for good or at lower level and the game has lost so much potential talent as a result. It’s easy for clubs to sack them off, they are on zero wages or little money and won’t have cost a fee usually. Totally different if you’re paying tens of millions for a player and tens of thousands in wages and so on. 

Guest HTT II

That’s where the PFA should step in, but they don’t, it’s often down to grassroots clubs and the NHS to rehabilitate these youngsters, physically, emotionally, mentally and getting them back playing. Yet if they dont get an injury and make it the PFA make millions off them…

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Players should have agents just as, rather topically, workers should be in unions. We see time and again that Union represented staff get better deals.

The only problem is, as NUFC fans we're cheering on the corporation. That's why we don't think they should have agents.

Clap. We are suporting the capital owners rather than the labourers

21 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

A lot more than you think, the ones we see are filtered to the top of course, but read this very thread back and people were saying this kid was finished after a hamstring injury.

Get a bad injury in an academy and it’s curtains for you 

If you;re in an academy your career isn't over. there are other things you can do. Should we pay bartenders a lifetime salary in case they fail their degree.

Edited by Happinesstan

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah they should, it’s scandalous really, these lads basically work towards one dream from a very young age then one day it’s gone, and no one is there to pick up the pieces to help

them out 

I don’t want to keep boring people with my own boy’s story, but he’s been playing 3 + years now and literally has dedicated almost every day since to his football off his own back, he’s sacrificed so much and so have we as parents. Even when we force him to miss games or training to go to a mate’s birthday party, family days out or whatever, I know where he’d rather be and what he’d rather be doing. Say he makes it, that could be 15 + years of almost 7 days a week hard graft by 20, unpaid, and then a bad injury and he’s finished and gets no help whatsoever from a club or his so-called Union? It’s bad craic! That’s why I want him to do as best as he can at school, try to keep him grounded and try and minimise me pushing him and him playing too much.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Do bar tenders get picked up at the age of six, have to train extensively all throughout their formative years? Neglecting education. If so then yeah. 

I didn’t argue for paying them but they should absolutely be getting support. Are you arguing for less compassion? Sounds great. 

I'm arguing for a realistic compassion. Saying they'd be fleeced is just hyperbole.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Exactly, people have no clue what it’s actually like for kids at academies. I’m sure they think it’s some sort of dream life, but you do have to sacrifice a lot. 

You think the bloke down the road working 60 hours a week is sacrificng fuck all?

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

If you;re in an academy your career isn't over. there are other things you can do. Should we pay bartenders a lifetime salary in case they fail their degree.

There is a huge difference, bar tending isn’t something they will have trained their entire childhood through to teens and early adulthood lives for. A young kid signing for an academy doesn’t get paid until they sign pro terms, but until then they can either leave the academy or stay, if they stay they cannot play or train for any other team. Child Labour basically in the hope they make it and make the club fortunes on and off the pitch. My boy is at Boro and we are seriously thinking of fucking them off, if he’s good enough when he’s older someone will snap him up, if not he’ll have had weekends like he’s just enjoyed at Flamingo Land with his parents, friends and team-mates with zero pressure.

2 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

My fatha turned down a contract to play for spurs as a goalkeeper when he was in the marines in the early 60’s because the pay was shit. And he liked hitting people for a living too I expect. 

One of the old fellas that used to go to our local club, left Newcastle to go and play for Tow Law for double his pay.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Exactly, people have no clue what it’s actually like for kids at academies. I’m sure they think it’s some sort of dream life, but you do have to sacrifice a lot. 

I’ve got very hands on first experience of them, through my now 23 year old nephew (NUFC), my son (SAFC/Boro) and my 15 year old nephew (Hoffenheim) and a good few mates who have their kids in one and a few mates who didn’t make it. It’s a horrible experience in many ways and should be abolished until a kid is 16. If you want to sign a 9 year old kid, fucking pay them!

Just now, HTT II said:

There is a huge difference, bar tending isn’t something they will have trained their entire childhood through to teens and early adulthood lives for. A young kid signing for an academy doesn’t get paid until they sign pro terms, but until then they can either leave the academy or stay, if they stay they cannot play or train for any other team. Child Labour basically in the hope they make it and make the club fortunes on and off the pitch. My boy is at Boro and we are seriously thinking of fucking them off, if he’s good enough when he’s older someone will snap him up, if not he’ll have had weekends like he’s just enjoyed at Flamingo Land with his parents, friends and team-mates with zero pressure.

The bartender reference was tongue in cheek. The point is everybody is at risk of failure, and everybody sacrifices whatever else they could be doing otherwise. saying we need agents to protect people from being fleeced, when they're earning every penny they'll ever need, in a year, is just dumb.

It's not like I'm saying they shouldn't be paid at all.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

You think the bloke down the road working 60 hours a week is sacrificng fuck all?

He’s not sacrificing his childhood because an industry demands that from a kid if they want a career in that industry, howay man…

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

You don’t think owners would go to town on them? What makes you think that? Like HTT said, we literally fired Jonas when he got cancer. These people do not give a single fuck about the players 

I'm sure they would. I think where we differ is on how much. I mean would it be unacceptable to expect them to work two years to earn every penny they'll ever need.

1 minute ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

wise lad. Did he say ‘pelanty’?

Probably, he was a cracking bloke, when he married his wife she had to leave her job at the council offices because only single ladies were allowed to work there.