Hugo Ekitike

Miggys First Goal

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That also involves getting a shitload of sponsorship money, which to date hasn’t been the case.

Don’t think it does- that figure was at current levels, wasn’t it? How could he provide a possible spending figure to take into account future sponsorship when we don’t know how much sponsorship we will be getting? 

7 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t get why anyone thinks this window will be significantly affected by FFP. We haven’t spent anything for years. 

Even if we did slightly overspend we could easily bring more money in next season or the one after. 

Theoretically we could spend a fortune but it could impact our ability to invest in future windows.

You’d think the club recognise that level we’re going to be competing at in a few years is going to require greater financial flexibility hence the reason we’re being quite conservative. 

Last thing you want to do is try and speed run it like Everton and be lumbered with a load of shit on massive contracts.

I personally think you need to hit certain levels pretty quickly.  You need a team good enough to play in Europe quick-ish. That makes A certain calibre of player easier to get to help us get to the next level. I think the 23/24 season, we’ll need a top 7 team otherwise we’ll be spending money losing out on FFP and standing still. 

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I also think we need to show the football world that we are serious. At some point we’ll need to show that we aren’t an Everton or a Villa and can make transfers of a higher calibre.  

Bruno and Botman weren't going anywhere near Everton. Or Villa tbh, despite Coutinho.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Bruno and Botman weren't going anywhere near Everton. Or Villa tbh, despite Coutinho.

We are buying too class players before their prime, Coutinho has already seen his best years.

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I reckon Villa would have had a chance at either if they went fully in for them like we did. We’re in very similar positions and will be for the next few years.

Don't massively blame the agent in this scenario tbh. It's his main client and he's probably seeing himself set for life once this deal goes through. I think he'll relent eventually to a reasonable agreement.

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Don't massively blame the agent in this scenario tbh. It's his main client and he's probably seeing himself set for life once this deal goes through. I think he'll relent eventually to a reasonable agreement.

Give them a deadline of Wed next week and in the meantime - start work on another target. If he comes, great, if he doesn't, onto someone else that wants to be part of what we are building here!

9 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I don’t get why anyone thinks this window will be significantly affected by FFP. We haven’t spent anything for years. 

Even if we did slightly overspend we could easily bring more money in next season or the one after. 

Agreed - and I bet we will be spreading the fees over several years which will lessen the impact, and is probably why the deals are taking a while to negotiate. 

Edited by duo

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

You would have to be an absolute moron to not try and make yourself fuck loads of money from multi billion pound sports clubs if you could.

Exsctly. You can also just imagine the serious people running our club dealing with this absolute random chancer asking for millions and thinking 'fuck this' mind too. I imagine that is the reason for the impasse.

I don't know much about him, but there's obviously a reason we're so keen and PSG, along with Dortmund hold an interest.

In an ideal world we sign all of out first choice targets, but I'm sure the back ups will be decent too.

11 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I reckon Villa would have had a chance at either if they went fully in for them like we did. We’re in very similar positions and will be for the next few years.

Somebody suggested Botman to Gerrard and Gerrard just giggled childishly.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I don't know much about him, but there's obviously a reason we're so keen and PSG, along with Dortmund hold an interest.

In an ideal world we sign all of out first choice targets, but I'm sure the back ups will be decent too.

Exactly - the effort the club have put into sign the lad tells me he'd be a massive coup.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I also think we need to show the football world that we are serious. At some point we’ll need to show that we aren’t an Everton or a Villa and can make transfers of a higher calibre.  

You are absolutely gagging for some overpaid "big name" signing, and it's just not going to happen man. The likes of Pogba that you were suggesting are a complete no go. They're clearly targeting high calibre talents on their way up, which is the best approach, particularly for the manager we have, and I have no doubts we are going to be very competitive in the league really quickly.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

I’d prefer Broja…

I like Broja, but I'm leaning more towards Goncalo Ramos, who we've also been linked with recently, and who had a really good season with Benfica. Think potential wise he's right up there with Ekitike, and is only 20 years old also.

He's available for £34 million, which is only a bit more than what we bid for Ekitike (£30 million). Dortmund and Bayern sniffing around too, but feeling is we are most likely to meet their asking price for him, similar to the situation with Reims regarding Ekitike.

Had a nice finish against Liverpool at Anfield, in the Champions League this past season. Typically played as secondary striker, just off Darwin Nunez when he featured. 

We just need to bin this one off now. Yes, we might end up missing out on a huge generational talent but our approach is about getting the right character just as much as it is ability. Having this lad’s agent twatting around behind the scenes is going to be a constant fucking headache.