Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

6 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

It’s the Joselu situation all over again 

Joselu suffered from a low goal return here (though better than Wood’s in a lesser side) but grafted his bollocks off as a lone front man. You don’t see that from Wood - he just doesn’t have the sharpness or the legs.

53 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

I don't think it's any great secret that he was a panic buy, I think people are forgetting how dire our situation was in January. I think they're also forgetting that we improved dramatically with him in the side and started winning games.

Yes, he's not very good and we need someone better, but some of the bed-wetting has been ridiculous.

So, we improved tenfold with him yet he cannot even sniff half a chance, get in to play, move the ball, hold up the ball, get to chances against a wolves where we try to play up to him. Then he goes off and we become more dangerous? I mean that is a fucking shit striker to have, one that makes your attack worse?

56 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

I don't think it's any great secret that he was a panic buy, I think people are forgetting how dire our situation was in January. I think they're also forgetting that we improved dramatically with him in the side and started winning games.

Yes, he's not very good and we need someone better, but some of the bed-wetting has been ridiculous.

I gave him the benefit that he was part of the run, in hindsight now I really don't see it. That £25m + £70kpw stops us signing a player like J-Pedro, this mistake will hang around for a while yet.

I'm quite surprised at how few headers he wins from forward/long passes, he actually held the ball up OK today from passes down the channel or into him, that was his only highlight mind. But overall he's just a very disappointing player.

He's served his purpose. He shouldn't be near a PL starting lineup for us; Isak will see to that thankfully. But I do think some of the stick he got today was a bit harsh; the crosses weren't coming in when he was on the pitch. Almiron and ASM were constantly going back on their stronger foot allowing the Wolves backline to settle. ASM should've been trying to take on Semedo who was on a yellow and sticking a cross in at every opportunity but he wasn't.

We don't play to his strengths (assuming that headers on set pieces and crosses are his strength that is :lol: ) so I expect that we'll look much better with Isak in the side given his strengths and overall difference in quality to Wood.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He's served his purpose. He shouldn't be near a PL starting lineup for us; Isak will see to that thankfully. But I do think some of the stick he got today was a bit harsh; the crosses weren't coming in when he was on the pitch. Almiron and ASM were constantly going back on their stronger foot allowing the Wolves backline to settle. ASM should've been trying to take on Semedo who was on a yellow and sticking a cross in at every opportunity but he wasn't.

We don't play to his strengths (assuming that headers on set pieces and crosses are his strength that is :lol: ) so I expect that we'll look much better with Isak in the side given his strengths and overall difference in quality to Wood.

This is it for me. I seem to have picked up the baton as no. 1 Chris Wood defender, but I’m under no illusions he’s good enough to start, or even be on the bench in a season or so. I just find the level of vitriol against him a bit baffling, as well as suggestions that he doesn’t try. He tries, lacks quality sure, but puts the effort in. Presses all game. I respect that a lot more than players we’ve had in the past that just didn’t give a fuck. 

12 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Yeh, because a forum of a small group of Newcastle fans critiquing a player is going to "ruin our predicted success" :lol: Talk about "fannies" :rolleyes:

There are obviously some overreactions and hyperbole on this forum, especially during a match when emotions are high but some posters on here seem to get a hard on over calling other posters 'bed wetters', 'fannies' etc and seem to think it's criminal to say anything negative whatsoever.

43 minutes ago, worthy said:

So, we improved tenfold with him yet he cannot even sniff half a chance, get in to play, move the ball, hold up the ball, get to chances against a wolves where we try to play up to him. Then he goes off and we become more dangerous? I mean that is a fucking shit striker to have, one that makes your attack worse?

Did you watch us play before he arrived?

People obviously didn't watch the match if they thought Wood was an issue.  He was good.  He didn't score but I don't think he will score many with the way he is and the way Eddie wants him to play.  He does what Eddie asks to a tee.  We dominated that game and should have won but wood wasn't the issue.

7 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

People obviously didn't watch the match if they thought Wood was an issue.  He was good.  He didn't score but I don't think he will score many with the way he is and the way Eddie wants him to play.  He does what Eddie asks to a tee.  We dominated that game and should have won but wood wasn't the issue.

This is complete disinformation. 

He's heavy, immobile and plays on his heels. Other than the odd header and lay off he really offers nothing.

Sure he's a great lad but he's simple not good enough to be starting for us or most EPL teams.

His limitations far outweigh his strengths, I've said it before but he reminds me of your stereotypical 80's target man, unfortunately the game asks more of a striker these days.

I don't think he compliments our set-up/formation sadly. We just don't have great service from our wide. Almiron et al get into good positions then take an extra touch and bottle taking on the cross. He is 'caught on his heels' often, probably due to the lack of early delivery.

He would probably benefit from a more 'old fashioned' wide player, running down the line and whipping crosses in early, but we don't really have anyone in that mould. 

He was a useful asset last season when we were desperate, but realistically i don't think it will work out for him here.

Edited by Klaus

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye.  Don’t play to his strengths at all.  

I wonder if we could get £10m for him and use that money for a player more suited like a Joao Pedro.  

No other team is paying him 100k a week.

We could well have stayed up last season without Wood and saved £25M….however we really don’t know what effect his signing had on Howe’s tactical plan and whether relying on Gayle would have proved to be just as successful….What I do know is that £25M is a price worth paying for our survival last season, one we may or may not have achieved if we didn’t gamble on his transfer. He may now be a bit redundant and 3rd choice in the pecking order, but I for one, am glad we went along the road in his transfer. He won’t get any stick from me, as he’s highly unlikely to make that many appearances for the rest of the season….I’m just grateful that with Wood in the team last season we not only survived but nearly finished in the top half of the table.