Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Just now, Klaus said:

We were always going to struggle to get top players, considering the position we are in.

Also people questioning the fee :lol: how much would a guaranteed 20 goal a season PL striker cost?

This is a 30 year old striker with 3 goals and zero assists half way into the season. We're not asking for a 20 goal a season striker.

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It would have been scattergun with a DoF appointed aswell, even the top operators would struggle in this window in our predicament.

Yeah, it’s a very difficult time to buy players, even for top clubs. 

If anything I’m impressed that they can be ambitious and practical at the same time. Better to get Wood done while you can than pursue other elite targets and miss out. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Wilson has struggled massively this season in my opinion and struggled to lead the line. I actually think St Max and co will play better off Wood, as he holds the ball up a lot better. He’s also a bigger physical presence in the box, which we haven’t had for a long time.

Just now, ManDoon said:

He came off in their last game tbh but who knows 

Burnley fans thinking the enquiry might have been made late Friday or early sat and they took him off to protect him.  

Sounds like their owners are just like Ashley that's why theirs a lot of doom and gloom

33 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

just watched his goals, loves a header like.

Never paid attention to his game but surprisingly good with the ball at his feet, good with his weaker foot, good strikers instinct following up on rebounds, seems calm in front of goal as some shots in the video were saved but he scored on the follow up, seems to make decent runs.

10 minutes ago, ToonScotman said:

What I don’t understand is us paying 20-25 million for Chris wood but not willing to offer an extra few quid for the likes of Botman etc. If that was the case we just paid required for the quality then nobody would care about the price of Wood.

How do you know that’s why we didn’t sign him? If it’s true that we kept meeting their fee and they kept changing the goal posts then Lille can get fucked. 

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Well I think this is certainly proving that we're going to struggle in the transfer market, particularly in January.

Still, he's probably better than Gayle, there is that. Any 30+ year old relegation rival left backs out there we could pay £20m for to replace Ritchie?

I dont agree with you.    We are 11 days in and they have reacted to the news that Wilson is going to be out for 8 weeks.  If by the end of the window they have signed another 4-5 players then they will have played a blinder.  Jury is out at the moment but if Wood signs tonight then they can move onto other signings.    I still believe Botman will sign before the Leeds game.

Edited by Awaymag

Just now, ManDoon said:

They aren’t the only two players in world football. It’s equally as asinine as the “yeah guess you wanted Mbappe!!”

Yeah point taken but this is not a risk, most others would be 

Backup for Wilson until the summer, not ideal but heaps more of an issue on Burnley and potentially helps us overtake them - could be tactical as much as anything (albeit a rather expensive tactic at £20m!

In the grand scheme of things, we've been creating multiple chances of late, just not had an out and out striker to put them away, if this helps that and edges us closer to staying up this season then so be it, we can hit up proper targets in the summer if we're safe. I just hope that it's enough, some of the bigger signings that we thought we'd get seem to be struggling which just goes to show how difficult this window really is, no matter how much money we have.

There's only 2 things that can really sour this signing tbh! 1st is if he doesn't score in a few games, especially these next 4/5. The 2nd thing is if Burnley use this 25m to go and buy a striker that we've had our eye on or just any striker actually that ends up being decent and scoring a load.

Do we have any idea why he's had a poor season? Or is there a trend that he scores in patches?

Don't buy that he's finished physically, he should theoretically be in his prime and I don't think he's had any major injuries. Could be a motivational issue? 

We might just need him to score goals between now and the end of the month, if we've got other players lined up [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Backup for Wilson until the summer, not ideal but heaps more of an issue on Burnley and potentially helps us overtake them - could be tactical as much as anything (albeit a rather expensive tactic at £20m!

In the grand scheme of things, we've been creating multiple chances of late, just not had an out and out striker to put them away, if this helps that and edges us closer to staying up this season then so be it, we can hit up proper targets in the summer if we're safe. I just hope that it's enough, some of the bigger signings that we thought we'd get seem to be struggling which just goes to show how difficult this window really is, no matter how much money we have.

Isn't there a pretty good chance Wilson is out all season? I'm hoping Wood is backup to someone else we're going to sign before the end of the window tbh.

2 minutes ago, midds said:

Picture it. It's 22nd May 2022, 17:56. Burnley hosting Newcastle on the final day of the season. The score is tied at 3-3 going into the fifth and final minute of injury time. Burnley know a draw is enough to see them maintain the 2 point gap they hold on the visitors. Suddenly Trippier bursts down the right wing, goes to the line and stands a cross up for the onrushing Wood to dive full length and bullet a header into the Burnley net, Turf Moor erupts and Newcastle win the game and their survival with the last attack of the season :aww:

Sounds great, but in all honesty I've imagined this scenario many many times and it's always Joelinton that scores the goal to keep us up. The scenes would be unbelievable. 

He's coming for his medical tonight, he will likely be an NUFC player by tomorrow. Piss and moan all you want but it's not going to change anything. Give the lad a chance, Burnley don't have players like ASM, Frasier and to a much greater extent Trippier.

We've bought a squad player that'll have to come straight in the first team, he's got PL experience and he's got an eye for goal. Plus we've taken a goal scorer away from a team we need to finish above. The price is irrelevant, who will Burnley likely attract in a similar position to us but without the promise? £25m doesn't buy you much these days, especially up front.

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Do we have any idea why he's had a poor season? Or is there a trend that he scores in patches?

Don't buy that he's finished physically, he should theoretically be in his prime and I don't think he's had any major injuries. Could be a motivational issue? 

We might just need him to score goals between now and the end of the month, if we've got other players lined up [emoji38]

Perhaps he peaked two years ago and as a 30 year old striker in a poor team he's just not as good as he used to be?

Howe must see something in him, unless we're contracted to only employ former Burnley players and managers?

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

He's coming for his medical tonight, he will likely be an NUFC player by tomorrow. Piss and moan all you want but it's not going to change anything. Give the lad a chance, Burnley don't have players like ASM, Frasier and to a much greater extent Trippier.

We've bought a squad player that'll have to come straight in the first team, he's got PL experience and he's got an eye for goal. Plus we've taken a goal scorer away from a team we need to finish above. The price is irrelevant, who will Burnley likely attract in a similar position to us but without the promise? £25m doesn't buy you much these days, especially up front.

I'm going to give him every chance, trust me. But I'm also going to moan about how shit a signing I think this is. I won't go on twitter or his instagram to tell him though, don't worry :lol:

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

My mates keep telling me this sort of thing about Gayle btw. They can't understand why we don't play him, given the amount of goals he's scored in his career.

He's always injured, that's as good a reason as any.