Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

And played Watford without a striker? We'll still need to recruit for those positions but we pretty much have to win on Saturday. We spent all game last week crossing to the ghost of Callum Wilson. Having a actual live striker in there is massive. If we can get some results before the end of Jan we may find people more willing to join. 

You do know there are other strikers we could buy for the same price? We’ve had plenty of time, it’s not like Wilson got injured yesterday.

I’m not sure a striker totally out of form is a great move. But, as I said, I’ll give him every chance and get behind him.

It's not my money so not fussed, the main question is does he improve our team/squad? And the answer is yes

Plus Trippier crosses to Wood is potentially what keeps us up

People go on about him scoring only 3 goals, I wonder if the reaction from those being negative about this would have been the same if we signed Toney? I mean the guy has 4 goals (2 of which were penalties) this season

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

You do know there are other strikers we could buy for the same price? We’ve had plenty of time, it’s not like Wilson got injured yesterday.

I’m not sure a striker totally out of form is a great move. But, as I said, I’ll give him every chance and get behind him.

im sure they had different targets but clearly difficult in our position. Stay up and the summer will be a different story. 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

The fact is you can’t judge the merits of the transfer units we see who they get. If they get more goals, we’ve made a bad choice. If they don’t then yes it was a smart play. It’s not completely risk free tho 

Nothing is risk free. We may go and get another beast striker in 2 days time, who knows. 

Try to stay positive and focus on us, not Burnley

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

My point is you should generally trust the views of the fans of the actual team, not away supporters. Everyone rates Gayle, we know he's shite. Loads of people on here rating Wood, Burnley fans think he's shite. 

WORRYING 

I'm not worried, I think he'll score goals. He's not a flash player, but he knows where the goal is, and more importantly, he's a tough character who'll relish a challenge. I've seen him score a few late winners, it's a lot safer signing than a few more glamorous might have turned out. 

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

And played Watford without a striker? We'll still need to recruit for those positions but we pretty much have to win on Saturday. We spent all game last week crossing to the ghost of Callum Wilson. Having a actual live striker in there is massive. If we can get some results before the end of Jan we may find people more willing to join. 

This is where I'm at, I don't know Wood from Adam but I fully expected to play Watford with ASM as our starting center forward.

Wood may be limited but he looks like he can convert a chance, and we have lots of players who can do everything but score. Tbh I'm happier with this than some really hyped player who "plays more as a second striker."

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Which strikers are these? Seems like we've explored those options and found our negotiation position very weak. 

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

And it's not unreasonable to suspect that we are struggling a bit to attract anyone decent right now. Trippier was probably a perfect storm of events.

Pragmatic signing. Not sexy at all but functional and proven at PL level. We have one of the best crossers of a ball in the league and now we’ll have a unit up front to get on the end of them.

And if we go down, he’ll boss the championship. It’s a lot of money but it’s not mine so I don’t give a shit. 

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

It's not my money so not fussed, the main question is does he improve our team/squad? And the answer is yes

Plus Trippier crosses to Wood is potentially what keeps us up

People go on about him scoring only 3 goals, I wonder if the reaction from those being negative about this would have been the same if we signed Toney? I mean the guy has 4 goals (2 of which were penalties) this season

I suspect people have actually watched Toney and seen his contribution to the team, as well as his potential. Believe it or not it's not just about the goals - Wood has been really poor this season.

14 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Don’t think this is a good signing at all, especially for the price, but will give him every chance and at least we’ll have a striker in ahead of Saturday.

I hope this is in addition to another striker.

He's hardly going to leave Burnley to become second fiddle to the so called main target.

I agree with one of your points though, it's not the best. 

Only positive I see is if it causes Burnley issues, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went and landed Ben Brereton Díaz themselves. 

Just now, Shearergol said:

Their fans are implying that he's finished. Whether that's physically or mentally I'm not sure. Perhaps Howe can breathe new life into him and he can get onto the end of an overhit Ritchie cross or two.

I think it's a bit harsh to suggest that just because he's not doing as well so far this season that he's finished, especially at 30 years old. Burnley are a lot worse off this year in general than in previous years and like us they only have 1 win in the league so far. Shearer even at 35 rediscovered his form once Souness was sacked and Roeder took charge.

A change of scenery/personnel could be all he needs to get back to his best. Time will tell.