Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Just now, Carlito said:

I think it's a bit harsh to suggest that just because he's not doing as well so far this season that he's finished, especially at 30 years old. Burnley are a lot worse off this year in general than in previous years and like us they only have 1 win in the league so far. Shearer even at 35 rediscovered his form once Souness was sacked and Roeder took charge.

A change of scenery/personnel could be all he needs to get back to his best. Time will tell.

Well I get the feeling it's our last throw of the dice, so let's get strapped in and pray for a miracle. 

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah I’m saying mainly the deal completely hinges on what they do next imo. It’s a risky play that could be genius/terrible.

I don’t personally see how people can claim it weakens them definitively until they see who they get in. 

I'm certainly not going to claim that it weakens them yet. Yet I find it particularly irritating how a few can jump wildly from conclusion to conclusion and pretend later like they never happened. We saw this with the whole Rafa debacle in 2017-18. And I am seeing a few repeat offenders do the same here. May be educational, if not a waste of time, for a few to go back and look. Not having a go at you, ManDoon.

Reminds me a little of what Troll said in the COVID thread how he edits and re-edits his posts to make sure that they are accurate, and then someone just comes in and posts absolute garbage without batting an eyelid.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

It's an underwhelming signing and I hope that we sign another striker who is younger, pacier than Wood is. However, we were/are so desperate for a striker it's untrue so I'm happy someone is in for what is truly the most important game of the season on Saturday. When you're in the rut that we're in, you tend to need players like a Wood. Or a Kilcline or a ~33 year old Kevin Sheedy whom Keegan brought in when we were in the shit in 1992.

We have to however bring another in up front. Here's hoping Ekitike is that one given our supposed interest.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Sure just my opinion really. I hate burnleys football so I’m suspicious of anyone who plays for them. Hendrick being a prime example of how they masked his absolute wankness

Did they actually mask Hendrick? He was always utter shit when I watched him.

Burnley will find some kind of cloggerball savant that scores 12 for them and wouldn't have worked under howe, and wood will score 8, and everyone will fanny about saying how we should have signed their sentient brick wall instead for that money

Edited by thomas

6 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I suspect people have actually watched Toney and seen his contribution to the team, as well as his potential. Believe it or not it's not just about the goals - Wood has been really poor this season.

And Wood also offers something aside from goals

He's brilliant in the air and he does well to hold up the ball and allow others in to play

It's key we get players in and around him 

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

That being said I’ll support his ugly ass, and I hope he does well. I will gladly scran a big plate of humble pie 

He's absolutely the last type of footballer I'd want normally, but in this situation you just want someone who'll get in the penalty area and get on the end of stuff. 

He seems to take a decent pen as well. That tells you a bit more about his temperament. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

He managed to forge a PL career with them finishing above us, and he can’t get a game for us now even with how bad our midfield is: he must have been doing something right 

Not having a dig, I just remember him being shit whenever I have watched him, be that here, Burnley or Ireland 

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

And Wood also offers something aside from goals

He's brilliant in the air and he does well to hold up the ball and allow others in to play

It's key we get players in and around him 

Genuine question, are you talking about this season or previous seasons? 

Having watched the Burnley match live at SJP this season the team is a big bunch of blokes that make the most of their size and they were crap. Just looked at his stats over the last couple of years and 12 and 14 goals in that Burnley team mean he is better than what we have by a long margin apart from maybe Wilson. Big yes from me from a survival point of view whilst also weakening a rival.

Edited by hoppaz

15 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

And they are in the shitter with us as well. Don't think that Burnley is exactly a more attractive option than us. They may well struggle getting the targets that they want. But who knows? I just think way too many on here are massively jumping to conclusions.

They're basically in the same position as us now, everyone knows they'll be desperate for a replacement in this window and have big chunk of cash to spen, they'll have no bargaining power.

Edited by Jackie Broon

A potentially smart addition. Confused why anyone expects us to be adding world class players at present. The club is 19th in the league and its mid January. All that matters is we stay up. Its gonna be very hard. But we have added a very good player already in tripper. Woods is hardly a glamour signing but he is proven at this level and if he can fire a few goals in it could well be vital. Also potentially weakened one of our relegation rivals.