Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

I'm not exactly blown away by it, he'd not be on any list I'd compile. It was pretty underwhelming news but the more I think about it the more I at least understand the thinking. It is patently true that we create chances but dont finish them, x1000 without Wilson. He's a decent finisher in the box if we can get the ball to him. Again, not my level of ambition either, but if we are struggling to get the "bigger" players atm, or January transfers are proving difficult because clubs dont want to sell without replacements (we're after starters after all), I'd rather we had Wood in now than get to the end of Jan having several prolonged offers for strikers rejected throughout and us having to go for something similar right at the end. As long as we stay up we can upgrade in summer.

We're desperate for able bodies to replace more than half of our team. We need 5 or 6 ideally. January isnt cheap, us having the means is going to make it harder. He's a decent backup for Wilson, playing a different style, obviously. And he'd be a decent partner. We just need enough goals to stay up. Thats what Im pinning my hopes on here. 

He's a striker, so that's something. He can give us something different, and it weakens a direct rival. Not glamorous by any means, but fuck it, he may well do enough to keep us up. Don't think he's great, but will support him and I hope he proves me wrong.

Around about half the price of Joelinton. I don’t mind this signing really as a short term option. Just hope he starts with a goal or two against Watford. Anyways, another striker with a bit more pace would be wise.

Does he improve the current team ?

probably 

Does he excite me - No

Does he get on team when Wilson is back - No 

Will he get a game if we stay up - hope not 

Yes we got lots of crosses in v Cambridge , but we don’t play Cambridge every week 

Obviously I am right behind him as I desperately want us to stay up 

Heres hoping we win at the weekend , Wood scores and we add to the squad in the next few weeks 

We still need at least 2 or 3 more in to give us a real fighting chance of staying up 

Underwhelmed - But hoping for the best 

Edited by JonBez comesock

We’re in a shite position, facing relegation.

Despite that, we’re signing a 1 in 3 Premier League striker that offers us a physical presence and a genuine goal threat. He is at a similar level to Wilson and considerably better than any other option we have behind that.

This is a good signing for our short term ambitions. It’s exactly the type of deal Ashley wouldn’t touch, and if he arrived in the summer I’d be as delighted. I’ll take anyone that raises the level and he does that.

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I'm not exactly blown away by it, he'd not be on any list I'd compile. It was pretty underwhelming news but the more I think about it the more I at least understand the thinking. It is patently true that we create chances but dont finish them, x1000 without Wilson. He's a decent finisher in the box if we can get the ball to him. Again, not my level of ambition either, but if we are struggling to get the "bigger" players atm, or January transfers are proving difficult because clubs dont want to sell without replacements (we're after starters after all), I'd rather we had Wood in now than get to the end of Jan having several prolonged offers for strikers rejected throughout and us having to go for something similar right at the end. As long as we stay up we can upgrade in summer.

We're desperate for able bodies to replace more than half of our team. We need 5 or 6 ideally. January isnt cheap, us having the means is going to make it harder. He's a decent backup for Wilson, playing a different style, obviously. And he'd be a decent partner. We just need enough goals to stay up. Thats what Im pinning my hopes on here. 

That's not actually true though is it, other than against Cambridge. 

2 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Absolutely not reading through 25 pages of this, but I’ll just assume the £20m fee has led to a few posters yeeting themselves off a proverbial cliff.

You’d think they’d been asked to pony up themselves.

Very shrewd signing for me. If we provide service he'll score and directly weakens a rival. 

Only aim this season is survival and drastically increases our chances of that. Also would be very good should we go down. Wouldn't fancy playing against a front 2 of Wood & Wilson either.

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Absolutely not reading through 25 pages of this, but I’ll just assume the £20m fee has led to a few posters yeeting themselves off a proverbial cliff.

I'm not bothered about the fee, it could have been £70m for my liking, it doesn't matter at all. I'm more bothered that this is a sign that we're really struggling, and hoping an extremely out of form ageing striker is going to be our saviour makes me concerned.

I'm basing it on watching him this season, not his fee.

However, as soon as @KaKa calls him a Gladiator I'm back in.

Just now, relámpago blanco said:

Yeah, but that's because we didn't have a Striker.  And Wilson is out for however long.  A 1 in 3 Premier League Striker for 20 million is about the right price at 30 years old.

No that's not what I meant. I meant we don't create many chances. I'd love it if we did, both Wood and Wilson would thrive on it. Unfortunately we rely on ASM and Almiron to create our chances and neither of them have a final ball.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, Chrisjraby said:

SSN presenter just said 25 million twice, hopefully that's his fuck up and not an updated fee :lol:

No, Craig Hope has said that as well.

Just now, Shearergol said:

No that's not what I meant. I meant we don't create many chances. I'd love it if we did, both Wood and Wilson would thrive on it. Unfortunately we rely on ASM and Almiron to create our chances and neither of them have a final ball.

I'd be amazed if we're not throwing a load of crosses in the box now if we're sticking with Ritchie and Trippier as full backs

Well fingers crossed his signing while underwhelming ends up being of the Daryl Murphy or Antoine Sibierski variety, rather than the return of Carroll. I mean even Marlon Harewood even ended up being a useful addition under Hughton. This season is all about staying up. Achieve that and he'll have done the job he was signed for