Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

We're paying 3x what he probably worth. To those saying it will make Burnley weaker - you know they now have the means to improve on a very limited player, and it could come back to bite us?

Maybe double.. He was signed from Leeds for £15m in 2017 and scored double figures each season.

Just now, mofo said:

Maybe double.. He was signed from Leeds for £15m in 2017 and scored double figures each season.

I’m gonna pretend we paid £25m for Trippier and £12m for Wood and make myself feel much better about the whole thing tbh. 

Perfectly reasonable to question any signing IMO.  It is what we'd do in a pub with mates pre- or post-match - and a forum should work along the same lines for me.  It also isn't the same as not getting behind the player - giving a player stick at the game is shite (and booing shouldn't be done under any circumstances; that's for kids at a pantomime or twats at a bad opera).

Again, I think it is a canny signing under the circumstances - but I completely understand why people might not.  And it isn't as if the arguments against aren't reasonable.  Well, as long as they're not the 'WE WANTED MESSI NOW WE'VE GOT WOOD WHATS GANNIN ON?' twitter twats.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Wey, I disagree but I don't want to argue about it. I think a post calling people wankers is bang out of order really. Like I said there has been maybe one or two cringey posts. The rest are fair questions to be asked. Almost uniformly everyone has said 'i hope he proves me wrong/i'm right behind the lad'.

Once again take it with the context of repeat offenders on every thread. There is rational thought and there is rank pessimism. They are often not the same.

10 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

It's absolutely mad, calling people 'wankers' and it getting likes, when people are expressing rational opinons is absolutely poverty and tone policing the entire forum. Absolute wank post and attitude.

People are allowed to point out that our fans are being dafties, and people are allowed to agree with them. It’s not tone policing. It’s basically how communication on the internet has worked for the last 30 years.

I still don't understand this idea of everyone having the same opinion, go to a football match and the amount of shite you hear is non stop, but that's still their views. This like button has really bought the worst in people honestly

4 hours ago, Willow said:

You're going to be singing his name and doing a little dance if he scores the winner on Saturday :D

It's a stop-gap, everyone knows it's a stop-gap. We're currently massive beggars who can't be choosers, so let's see who we get next

Sung to the tune of J. Geils Band’s Freeze Frame.

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

We're paying 3x what he probably worth. To those saying it will make Burnley weaker - you know they now have the means to improve on a very limited player, and it could come back to bite us?

No-one signs an experienced PL striker who's a first pick for his team, with a 1 in 3 goal record, in January, for £7m.

It just doesn't happen. Especially to us.

Chris Wood will slot in nicely alongside the squad full of players who people wanted to see sold if not lynched after the result at the weekend: ageing and one-dimensional but previously capable of slugging it out for a side in the bottom half of the league. He won't improve us in the long run and perhaps the cavalry isn't coming. But right now we don't have another striker, so a few winners is all it will take for him to more than recoup his fee.

1 minute ago, DoricGinola said:

No-one signs an experienced PL striker who's a first pick for his team, with a 1 in 3 goal record, in January, for £7m.

It just doesn't happen. Especially to us.

The general understanding of the value available in the transfer market is fucking abysmal on here like. I assume it’s due to years scraping around trying to sign people for a few million. £20m is absolutely the going rate for someone like Wood.

good job by amanda.

desperatley need a premier-league ready striker in time for the weekend. no fucking about.

we can now concnetrate in taking our time and getting in more quality before the end of the month.

if wood only playes the next 3 games and helps us to 7 points it will be money well spent.

doesnt matter if we paid £2m or £20m for him. it doesnt affect our transfer budget going forward. this is not ashley's nufc.

Just now, christ said:

The general understanding of the value available in the transfer market is fucking abysmal on here like. I assume it’s due to years scraping around trying to sign people for a few million. £20m is absolutely the going rate for someone like Wood.

also there is no way in hell Burnley would sell him to us had they any choice

Just now, christ said:

If was 2 or 3 years younger then aye, but he's 30 ffs. 

Getting around to this:

He's just turned 30 last Dec so he is closer to 30 than he is to 31.

If his fair value is circa 15m, we are paying 5-10m as a premium. (suspect currency at play here)

5-10m weakens one of our relegation rivals, gives them about two weeks to find a replacement. Even better if this caught them by surprise and they had no plans to bring in one.

January transfer is notoriously hard to deal in. Give Burnley the headache instead.

Gives us a focal point in our attack and frees up ASM to his best position in the left wing. Trippier is a good crosser and this suits Wood's game.

We have crucial matches coming up and need to win.

Getting him relatively early gives us more time to bed him in. And he knows the league.

5-10m is peanuts if this helps us avoid relegation (TV money etc).

Apparently we haven't paid he clause price and it 15mil we're paying. Buying a stiker that scorea double figures consistently in the prem for a shit team would normally cost about 20mil, why is this different??